You need it when?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im with Tom and Ned in this one.....give everyone that subscribes to amazon air a signal beacon they place where the package is to be delivered along with the last container that was left on delivery. Beacons are programmed to each customer...This will work unless they put feathers or duck beaks on them.

Here's what a future delivery notice could look like.

Attachments

• AmazonNotice.jpg
    AmazonNotice.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 37
I don't think aerial traffic will be an issue if they keep it under 500 feet. They will also need to program blackout areas within 3 miles of any airport.

I guess I am out of luck. My home is 2.9 mile from our airport due East. My altitude at home is 105' ASL and there are probably 500 homes below me.  Believe it or not, we have mountains in Florida. It's a busy little A/P with flight school training folks from all over the World. The last few years it has been surprisingly quiet as has the rest of the local community.. the pits actually.

For the Aero-fans here is the airport info....http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCGC

Amazon probably could'nt deliver my new 70" flat screen anyway.  ::)

Larry N. said:
Actually, Bob, if this actually happens, then you'll soon after see a lot of other businesses using drones (not to mention police, etc.), and they'll soon get to be peskier than a swarm of mosquitos
Our former Police Chief TRIED to get FAA approval for the Drones he purchased with grant money, without success.  He deferred back to plan B, which was to fly manned hang gliders.  Maybe Amazon will have more success than he did with the FAA...after all, Amazon is able to run a successful web site, without glitches...unlike the ObamaCare website!

SeilerBird said:
Now there is a million dollar idea, Drone Pizza.
And I'm sure they'd be successful at it...Unlike the political foolishness that takes place in DC. 
Maybe Amazon should take over running the US Government, especially Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, ObamaCare and it's muti-million dollar malfunctioning website, and rid us of the ever increasing deficit.

rebelsun said:
Our former Police Chief TRIED to get FAA approval for the Drones he purchased with grant money, without success.  He deferred back to plan B, which was to fly manned hang gliders.  Maybe Amazon will have more success than he did with the FAA...after all, Amazon is able to run a successful web site, without glitches...unlike the ObamaCare website!
rebelsun said:
And I'm sure they'd be successful at it...Unlike the political foolishness that takes place in DC. 
Maybe Amazon should take over running the US Government, especially Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, ObamaCare and it's muti-million dollar malfunctioning website, and rid us of the ever increasing deficit.
What the...???  And I thought we were talking about drones.

Yes it is hysterical. Britton Hill is the highest point in Florida and it is 345 feet high. There are buildings in California that are higher...

Quite right, Tom.  Oxygen masks not required. I haven't been there but have seen another one going South on US 41. The largest/highest land-fill mountain I have ever seen. (Oxygen masks required) I think.

Gotta love Florida.

LOL Ned...  ;D
You're visioning something between Robocop and Terminator 2?
I'm trying not to overreact.... ;D

Ever try using a GPS in downtown Chicago? I like the beacon idea. Carry it in your back pocket and get your package anywhere you happen to be.

Somebody needs to send these in......

They would have to be careful though.  My son pointed out that in some areas the noise could elicit the use of firearms to stop it.  Not only that but if you downed it, there would be a surprise gift.

There is a police surveillance drone (Land based, rolls does not fly) that plopped its com links in the middle of a ham band,, The FCC approved a waiver for the manufacturer.. I'm not happy about that.

So where is Amazon going to put theirs... 

There is major danger in doing that, Typically these devices use fairly low power transmitters.. i mean think of the amount of battery it would have to tote if it pumped out a "Full Gallon" (1,000 watts).  Typicalyl 3-5 is wattage.

So what happens if they put it in a ham band and some ham, way too far away to hear the little 3 watt drone.. Keys is Full Thousand watts, 2,000 peak envelope power, transmitter and ... Well,, Bad things are going to happen.

John,

They don't even have to have the links in the Ham band.  If they don't put a good selective receiver in there many of us could burn out the receiver even though our frequency is a ways a way, think 10 meters and TV as an example.  I have burned out WIFI receivers and my transmit frequency was a long ways away.

Proximity can cause a lot of problems.

While I embrace change, I do not think that filling our skies with drones of any sort is a good idea. In a few years these things may become common place, but I am going down on this one kicking and screaming. I think that drones should be limited to hobbyists (flying remote controlled airplanes and such), and the military in foreign airspace, with the exception of training at places like Creech AFB and what was the Nevada Test Site (they call it something else these days).

In my opinion Amazon is out to lunch on this idea. I have sent Amazon a message of disapproval and I hope that a lot of other folks do to. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelwolf/2013/12/02/heres-why-amazon-drone-package-delivery-may-never-happen/

If you are excited about the new package delivery at Amazon you should read this article.

Easy solution. Every AMAZON Prime customer gets a small drop pad to mount in a specific location and that's where the delivery is made. Even comes with an automatic retractable rain/snow cover. It will have an email feature that will send you an announcement when the drop is made.

SeilerBird said:
Yes it is hysterical. Britton Hill is the highest point in Florida and it is 345 feet high. There are buildings in California that are higher...

My house is at 5230 feet, and there are a lot that are higher (some over 10K). Metro Airport is at 5670.

Back
Top Bottom