1990 Coachman Classic 36' - John Deere Chassis - 460 Ford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding your dash AC - Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby?  I'd buy a $25 air powered vacuum pump and their cheepy fill gauge set.  See if it at least holds a vacuum.

You probably can get by throwing in some ester oil (maybe 6 or 8 oz) and filling it up with R134a.  I'd put dye in too as there is a good chance you'll be looking for a slow leak some months from now.  The official 'correct' retrofit to R134a is a lot more intensive.

I can't offer any advice on the House but as a previous JD Owner I can tell you that the chassis is as good as any ever built! If you need current parts Freightliner Custom Chassis is the place to get them.
Your Ford 460 Engine is also a strong runner but does have a few quirks! That Holley Red Fuel Pump underneath is a big step up from the original In Tank design , but don't run alcohol through it! The Carb should be rebuilt by a Competent Mechanic . Do Not be tempted to just an over the counter exchange. That should clear up the Over rich condition. The Exhaust needs to be opened up to at least 3 inch with a Good flow through  Muffler. That Engine needs to Breathe and sounds better as well. A Bit of advice on spark Plugs & Wires, the ones on the passenger side need  to have an piece of Asbestos wired in place  as a shield to keep them from being burnt up by the Exhaust Manifold. Those stock Manifolds will develop a leak usually a Blown Gasket. Have them re surfaced and put them back on using No Gasket. Use a bit of roofing Cement or Chimney/Stovepipe cement without the Gasket! They work far better than any Header System and contain the proper tubes to work with that Emission control system. Speaking of ECS those Pumps will eventually cause you some grief as will the water Pump so check them all on a regular basis. If a Belt squeals find out why! The Intake Air snorkle could stand a bit of an extension to get a bit cooler Air but don't go overboard trying to super charge it!

In regards to the cooling system, I would recommend not using a flush in it. It has been used for 20 years and whatever is in there, you don't want it breaking loose. You could have even more issues that can amount to more costly repairs.

I have a 1987 and I was thinking the same as you, to use a flush but it was highly recommended NOT to do it for the reason mentioned above. Mine is working proficiently and it ain't broke and I ain't gonna fix it if'n it ain't broke.

Enjoy your travels and spend quality time with your wife. You will surely reap the benefits as she will also.

Happy Trails!

Well, put the beautiful ole girl in storage (for $35 a month, stunning) so I'll be back at her in March stretching her legs and getting ready for the spring.

I am going to put together a best of regarding the recommendations here so I have a punch list to share with my future mechanic.

Thanks again everyone for chiming in. :)

Well, I have the RV back out of storage and back in the driveway (drove 28 miles, it stated 250 degrees on the dash, but no evidence of overheating). Weird. I'll have to check the sending unit and the guage itself.

No evidence of mice staying around the RV (clean as a whistle) and the sealing of the rear window appears to have worked.

Addtl. pics forthcoming. Just waiting for a decent weekend to start working on the suggestions regarding the appearance of overheating.

That's a classic, alright, but it looks to be in excellent shape.

Is the temp gauge pegged, or just reading somewhere above the middle at the 250 mark?  A failed sender is usually short or open, meaning the gauge is at zero or max. An in-between reading is more likely a real temperature problem, though I suppose a corroded connection somewhere could cause a false read.  I'm guessing the gauge is either a voltage or resistance measurement, so a bad wire connection could skew the reading.

Things to look at regarding the hot running temp.  Verify the operating temp with an outside temperature heat gun.  Saw them in Home depot for $25.  That will verify if the dash guage is accurate or not.  Also we had the fluid clutch fail on us, replacing it lowered our operating temps.  We routinely clean & flush the radiator.  Our radiator is still the original.

Before you spend too much money on that carburetor every one is talking about, look under the dog house and make sure it's not fuel injected. If memory serves me correctly, Oshkosh used a carburetor up 1989 and then switched to port injection. Hopefully it's EFI, which is a much better running engine.

Richard

Gary RV Roamer said:
That's a classic, alright, but it looks to be in excellent shape.

Is the temp gauge pegged, or just reading somewhere above the middle at the 250 mark?  A failed sender is usually short or open, meaning the gauge is at zero or max. An in-between reading is more likely a real temperature problem, though I suppose a corroded connection somewhere could cause a false read.  I'm guessing the gauge is either a voltage or resistance measurement, so a bad wire connection could skew the reading.

Temp guage reads temp and goes up as the engine gets warmer. I will be looking at the sending unit this weekend.

I had the same high temp problem in my '89 Oschkosh chassis. It had both breathing problems with a small inadequate breather for the engine and narrow pipes after some cracked manifold bolts on the original manifold. A great mechanic took care of opening up the breathing , drilling out the manifold bolts and putting in a new seal and 3.5" manifold7tail pipe with the biggest turbo muffler Midas made. I never saw high temps again and the 460 engine quited to a gentle purr! I also put in a GearVenders Gear Splitter for a true overdrive and a gear between 1-2 & 2-3.   

Another year with the RV under my belt, I am getting to really know the idiocyncrasies of this rig.

I replaced the Chassis Battery (from Farm and Fleet) and it had a 2 year replacement warranty..... so I got the replacement for free. Weirdness went away regarding the occasional backfire during the winter (when I started it). They said the previous Battery was bad, so I will check out the Alternator post haste.

I am power washing it this weekend.

I have assembled all of the comments into a word doc, and I am putting together a basic overview (Qand A) that I will post soon so other Coachmen owners from this time period will have more detail than I did when I first came across the forum.

I love this Coachmen. :)

I had trouble with overheating with my 89 Pace Arrow John Deere Chassis- 460 ford. I found out my radiator hoses were colasping when it would get hot. Hardly any water was going threw the hose. After Three new hoses and same thing happened I went to napa and they had hoses with wire inside the hose. This has worked for me. Can't say it will help you but did for me.

On the hunt for 3 to 4 year old tires (yours truly doesn't have the coin to replace all 6 tires after my wife's cancer scare a couple of months ago.... the bills are too knee deep to mention).

So, I'm looking to see if there is anyone out there in the Illinois Area who may have 8R19.5's sitting around (that they replaced) that are stillviable to others. 5 of my 6 tires are the original Michelins that came with the RV originally (d'oh) and I don't dare take the RV on the road except to put on decent tires at my local Intl truck store here in Huntley. Willing to bargain  / barter, etc to find a way to pull this off.
I got 2 donated to me last year, but they are Goodyear Wrangler 8R19.5 "E" load rated and won't work on my rig.

Looking for help here folks, trying to make my wife's summer one to remember (and will appreciate any help to get this done).

S@!T ! Sorry man, three weeks too late. Just replaced all 8 on mine. my old tires were 6 years old and looked perfect. Would have much preferred to give them to some I knew needed them. Could have even delivered them to at least the Morris,Il area.

I knew I should have kept them!!!!(Kicking self in Butt!)

captsteve said:
S@!T ! Sorry man, three weeks too late. Just replaced all 8 on mine. my old tires were 6 years old and looked perfect. Would have much preferred to give them to some I knew needed them. Could have even delivered them to at least the Morris,Il area.

I knew I should have kept them!!!!(Kicking self in Butt!)

Is it possible the dealer you got them changed at might still have them? Could you check? I'll drive to where they are if need be.

I checked, It's a buddy's shop and they are gone.

I don't think you would have wanted to drive to Florida to get them, but I regularly drive up to Il. and could have gotten them to you... Again sorry...

Try a post in the wanted section on here, Might luck out there.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your trying.

I did as you mentioned (and posted an AD in the wanted section). Hopefully, I get a reply. :)

Nothing yet (no responses), but we remain hopeful...... not to turn on the waterworks... but today was a bad day for my wife. She is sick again with another infection and was told today that she needs additional surgery (she has major abdominal pain and they are talking about taking her stent out early due to another infection). Let me explain.......

My wife was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer over 2 months ago (and she was on life support for 5 days after the surgery when she was fighting sepsis and was in the hospital for 10 days), and she had gotten better since then (much weaker, but the Tumor was a 4 lb. stage 1 tumor that was almost as big as her bladder that the surgeon scraped out and allegedly got all of the tumor). The experience has just taken a toll on her..... and she is going thru a followup surgery to remove a stent that is between her bladder and kidney (and to check if the cancer has returned or is gone). Our medical bills went past 100K as a result of her hospitalization (and our part of that bill is over 5K, which we are scrambling to put together). This is on top of the 10K we still are in hoc with (from the physical therapy after she was shot 11 years ago in Elgin). She is a permanently disabled woman due in part to that shooting over 11 years ago (she was an innocent bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time) and is now otherwise getting cabin fever at home as I am always working.

I want to be able to take her camping at the local state parks so she can enjoy nature and get out and spend quality time with the family while she is still able to ambulate. Our weekends mean everything to us now (did I mention that our 23 yr old son is handicapped / disabled and lives with us permanently also?), so we just need a break to get our beloved RV on the road safely. This means that we don't have the funds to replace the tires (they are $1,200.00 for 6 normally brand new). Many people want to go to Disneyworld and on European trips or cruises when they get sick, we just want to putz over to a campground and mingle with people and nature (while she is still able).

Now, this isn't a crisis.... and this is a "want", not a "need". We are not poor (and consider ourselves blessed to have a roof over our head, my having a job, and food on the table), but we don't have options such as a home equity loan or extended credit (we are upside down by almost 45% of our mortgage for a house that is worth almost half of what we paid for it back in 2005), we don't have any family with money to help , and everything we spend goes to trying to stay in our house and keeping both my wife and son medically stable. We bought a new car last October on payments as her previous car needed too much work regarding repair (and talk about lousy timing, we wish we didn't have that payment now). I drive a 11 yr old minivan and am very happy it is still in good shape (we kept it instead of trading it in.... just in case). We are trying to sell the extra vehicle (but it has over 177,000 miles and it needs too much work to get anything of real value for it).... and it needs an alternator and repair to the cooling system.... so we are thinking of just letting it sit until I can fix it instead of selling it for peanuts.

Now, this isn't a "poor me" post. We appreciate God's blessings and my wife's angels who kept her alive thru first a shooting and then a cancer scare / life support event. We also wouldn't have our son any other way (we firmly believe this world would be a better place if all families had a special needs child).

So our "want" is this: Anything someone can do to get our tires replaced will be appreciated (if someone just recently replaced their tires and are about to throw away 2 to 5 year old tires with some life left in them, that is fine). As long as they are safer than what we have now, anything will be helpful. We don't need money for tires (we'd rather see such money go to a good cause such as the homeless), just please... if anyone knows a tire place (such as a truck tire supplier) that may be able to find some tires that could still be used and would be safe for us (we don't plan on travelling further than 50 miles in any direction), please pass this link to them and ask them if they can make our dream come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom