5th Wheel Generator Purchase???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZJMick

I have a 5th wheel trailer with a 15000 btu roof air unit.? I am looking into getting a generator and want to make sure I get enough power to run what I need along with a quiet unit.? The generator will be external and I have been looking at the Honda's.? My question is will a 3000EU run the air and allow for power to run the micro or other items?? Would I be better going with two 2000's and using the link?? Any other models or suggestions you have please let me know. Your input is appreciated.

Jeff

I assume you are talking about the Honda 3000eui, which is the inverter model raher than a mechanical a/c generator.

Yes, the 3000i will generally run an a/c and anything else you need to power. It may depend, though, on what micro you have. The convection oven types can consume a lot of power when in oven mode - up to 20A for some of them. Even then its probably OK, but you might trip a breaker once in awile if the a/c compressor cycles on just as the micro load also peaks.

A typical micro draws around 1000-1500 watts (8-13 amps) and uses about the same power as your a/c. But micros usually don't run along time (2-5 minute sis typical) and the a/c draws max power only when the compressor first cycles on, so there is usually enough power for both. A 4000 watt would eliminate the marginal times, though, an dleave some extra for tv, converter/charger, etc.

Make sure you can actually use the full 3000 watts with your trailer hook-up.  A trailer with a 30A power cord can only plug to a 120VAC outlet and many generators only deliver full power to a single outlet via the 240V receptacle. If you have a 50A power cord on your rig, it can plug to a 240V outlet (with a suitable adapter).

I was browsing the latest Camping World magazine that showed up yesterday and noticed that Onan has a hitch mounted Genny from 3600 to 4000 watts.  It has a charging feature and a receptacle for a 30A RV cord.  It even comes with telescoping legs for stability.  This unit may have been out there for a while but had a "New" balloon by the ad...may be worth looking into.  If I remember right the price was around $3K+...

Back
Top Bottom