A classic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I was rummaging around my photo archives and stumbled across this photo I took of some friends' motorhome. It has a Chevrolet badge across the grill. Would Chevrolet have made the motorhome, or just the chassis? If the latter, anyone know who the motorhome manufacturer was? Regrettably, I've lost track of those friends.

Attachments

• Chevrolet_motorhome.jpg
    Chevrolet_motorhome.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 127
LOL Karl. So this coach is a no-name with a Chevy badge?

Chevy, no-name, what's the difference :)  Sorry, couldn't resist such a tempting straight line.

Seems to me that the old Chevy/Ford/Chrysler jokes are getting a little stale.

On the other hand they make for good stale conversation. 

Someone needs to explain it to me, because I don't have any idea what Ned was saying. Maybe it was before my time  ???

If a joke needs to be explained, it loses its edge :)

Carson, you're right, they are a bit stale.

I'd think it common courtesy to explain something that I said in a reply to someone when I realized they didn't understand what I'd said.

Tom said:
I'd think it common courtesy to explain something that I said in a reply to someone when I realized they didn't understand what I'd said.

Huh ???

Tom,

Ned said:
Chevy, no-name, what's the difference :)  Sorry, couldn't resist such a tempting straight line.

I think it's a disparraging remark about Chevy, at least that's my take on it.  Chevy = no name, no importance.

Thanks Lowell. Not sure I understand the joke though. Maybe if I was around when these jokes were "fresh" I might have got it.

Back to the original question, I can't ascertain if Chevy built an actual Class A coach back then or not. I can find other Chevrolet RVs in that vintage (1960's I think) but they are all van cutaways, basically a Class C. The Chevy badge is prominent, but they always are on Class C's.  This is clearly a Class A style and the body shell seems to be well integrated with the chassis, so it is not a cutaway. Of course Chevy could have supplied badges to the body builder along with the bare chassis - Ford, Workhorse and Freightliner do that today. However in the Ford case the badge is an engine badge and not the trademarked blue Ford oval. The Workhorse badge is a official Workhorse logo but is designed for mounting on the side rather than as a "nose" badge like in the Chevy picture.

I even looked through the FMCA Vintage coach photo archives and don't find a similar example.

Tom said:

To word it differently what is the difference between Chevy and no name (none)

Chevy did jump into the motorhome manufacturing ring a few times, most noteably with the GMC line that was very popular and still has a club!  

FMCA has a link to some really old motorhomes at this site, several are Chevrolets such as a Traville and Adventurline.  Some of the units were Chevy StepVans customized for RVing.

www.fmca.com/conventions/photoalbum/vintage.asp -

If/when I make contact with Larry again, I'll ask him about his coach.

Many of these old coaches really were quite something in their day, but probably a long way from the relative luxury of coaches today.

I recall my parents' small travel trailer in the UK; I built a small inverter and made their first 12V fluorescent light. If they could see RVs today they'd find them mind boggling.

Anyone remember the car radios with vacuum tubes and vibrators to create hi-voltage?

Of course they were AM only. Most early cars were 6 Volt.

carson said:
Anyone remember the car radios with vacuum tubes and vibrators to create hi-voltage?

Of course they were AM only. Most early cars were 6 Volt.

But then the whole electrical system in the automtive industry was 6 VDC.  My first 4 cars all had 6 volt electrical systems. Also had generators instead of altenators.

Back
Top Bottom