All things Tesla!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this thread will be a good one to talk about non-Teslas charging on Tesla Superchargers.

Tesla has already opened at least one, now in full service, charge station location to non-Teslas in CA. Working operation started today! Other are installed at other locations but not yet in service. Hopefully, they get to NV soon.

And here is an example of a 2023 Energica Experia electric motorcycle (like mine!) already charging TODAY in Scott's Valley, CA on a Tesla Supercharger using the new CCS cable on the Tesla Supercharger:

1677735608162.png

1677735575518.png

-Don- Reno, NV

I think this thread will be a good one to talk about non-Teslas charging on Tesla Superchargers.

Tesla has already opened at least one, now in full service, charge station location to non-Teslas in CA. Working operation started today! Other are installed at other locations but not yet in service. Hopefully, they get to NV soon.

And here is an example of a 2023 Energica Experia electric motorcycle (like mine!) already charging TODAY in Scott's Valley, CA on a Tesla Supercharger using the new CCS cable on the Tesla Supercharger:

View attachment 162315

View attachment 162314

-Don- Reno, NV
Sweet. I’m sure there will be some glitches to work thru. Charge port positions on non teslas etc. But a step forward for the industry. And more revenue for tesla.

Sweet. I’m sure there will be some glitches to work thru. Charge port positions on non teslas etc. But a step forward for the industry. And more revenue for tesla.
I find it interesting that the 2023 Energica Experia is not compatible with the latest CCS Chargepoint firmware, but charges fine on the new Tesla Superchargers.

I hear the problem is Chargepoint. Its new FW doesn't meet the complete criterion required for CCS. Only affects a very few EVs, but the Experia is one of them. Many such Charepoints in the areas I ride in CA, so I hope they update them soon.

But these same Chargepoints work the best of all on my 2020 Energica Esse Esse 9. IMO, CCS runs way too compilated of a program because it has to work with countless different battery designs, so I am glad to hear Tesla Superchargers work with the Experia. Tesla has always been the most reliable chargers of them all, perhaps because in the past they only need to do Tesla and nothing else.

But perhaps that reliability will remain even on their new CCS charging.

-Don- Reno, NV

I find it interesting that the 2023 Energica Experia is not compatible with the latest CCS Chargepoint firmware, but charges fine on the new Tesla Superchargers.

I hear the problem is Chargepoint. Its new FW doesn't meet the complete criterion required for CCS. Only affects a very few EVs, but the Experia is one of them. Many such Charepoints in the areas I ride in CA, so I hope they update them soon.

But these same Chargepoints work the best of all on my 2020 Energica Esse Esse 9. IMO, CCS runs way too compilated of a program because it has to work with countless different battery designs, so I am glad to hear Tesla Superchargers work with the Experia. Tesla has always been the most reliable chargers of them all, perhaps because in the past they only need to do Tesla and nothing else.

But perhaps that reliability will remain even on their new CCS charging.

-Don- Reno, NV
So far seems to be a hit. They expect to open as much as 10 percent of the network over the next 2 years.

And more revenue for tesla.
Tesla, in the past has said their Supercharger network will always be nonprofit and all profits (includes fines) will go to the maintenance and construction of new Superchargers.

And perhaps that is another reason why they have the most reliable fast charging network that exists (and by far!).

Not sure if "no profit" will remain the case when they can be used with CCS, but if so, this could be a good way for them to build even more chargers.

-Don- Reno, NV

the problem is how this will effect us tesla owners. Like a rivian can charge but to do so it has to take up 2 spaces, a lucid takes 2 or 3 spaces and a F150 takes 2 spaces and will result in excessive strain on the cable unless the driver parks sideways then taking 4 spaces instead of 2.

All the while tesla takes 1 space and when we already have lines with just teslas charging, adding other cars that take up more than one space will cause the lines to be an even bigger issue

the problem is how this will effect us tesla owners. Like a rivian can charge but to do so it has to take up 2 spaces, a lucid takes 2 or 3 spaces and a F150 takes 2 spaces and will result in excessive strain on the cable unless the driver parks sideways then taking 4 spaces instead of 2.

All the while tesla takes 1 space and when we already have lines with just teslas charging, adding other cars that take up more than one space will cause the lines to be an even bigger issue
No disagreement there. I hope they know what they are doing. I can name places all day long where I rarely see even a single Tesla charging and those are the same places where I want the CCS attached. Places such as Lake Topaz, NV.

Likewise, there are places in the SF Bay Area where having to wait for a Tesla Supercharger is the norm. And those are the places I do NOT want to see the CCS charging capability added to the Tesla Superchargers. There are usually enough CCS chargers in such areas anyway.

But I have noticed in the pass, where fast chargers are needed the most there are few or none. Such as north of here on Hwy 395. Or even worse when NW of there.

And not enough Tesla Superchargers on Hwy 50 east to Utah on Hwy 50--but plenty of CCS. Vice versa on I-80, but that is getting better. If I take my Chevy Bolt or Tesla on a longer trip can be dependent on the roads I need to use.

It will be nice when they have all this standardized. I already see it happening as CHAdeMO is almost nonexistent these days. Perhaps the Tesla type connector will be the new US/Canada standard and all EVs will be using them, even if the chargers are not all made by Tesla. Tesla is considered the best plug of all. No moving parts, easy light connector to use for both AC and DC charging. Only button is the one that opens the charge door via wireless. Everything else is automatic, including the billing (charger reads the VIN).

BTW, Rivian has their own charging network such as shown here, but they can also use others. IMAO, this proprietary nonsense has to go.

Should be two standards, one for AC charging and one for DC charging. Nothing more, IMO. But I think it will happen, the only question is when. Adapters can still be used on the older EVs--newer ones shouldn't need them.

-Don- Reno, NV

No disagreement there. I hope they know what they are doing. I can name places all day long where I rarely see even a single Tesla charging and those are the same places where I want the CCS attached. Places such as Lake Topaz, NV.

Likewise, there are places in the SF Bay Area where having to wait for a Tesla Supercharger is the norm. And those are the places I do NOT want to see the CCS charging capability added to the Tesla Superchargers. There are usually enough CCS chargers in such areas anyway.

But I have noticed in the pass, where fast chargers are needed the most there are few or none. Such as north of here on Hwy 395. Or even worse when NW of there.

And not enough Tesla Superchargers on Hwy 50 east to Utah on Hwy 50--but plenty of CCS. Vice versa on I-80, but that is getting better. If I take my Chevy Bolt or Tesla on a longer trip can be dependent on the roads I need to use.

It will be nice when they have all this standardized. I already see it happening as CHAdeMO is almost nonexistent these days. Perhaps the Tesla type connector will be the new US/Canada standard and all EVs will be using them, even if the chargers are not all made by Tesla. Tesla is considered the best plug of all. No moving parts, easy light connector to use for both AC and DC charging. Only button is the one that opens the charge door via wireless. Everything else is automatic, including the billing (charger reads the VIN).

BTW, Rivian has their own charging network such as shown here, but they can also use others. IMAO, this proprietary nonsense has to go.

Should be two standards, one for AC charging and one for DC charging. Nothing more, IMO. But I think it will happen, the only question is when. Adapters can still be used on the older EVs--newer ones shouldn't need them.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yeah I've stopped at topaz like 2 times just because i didn't feel like sitting at mammoth any longer and my lead foot made my range a bit short lol. There is never anyone there also i wish that would rename that one to topaz instead of Gardnerville. Technically Gvill goes all the way to the border but its damn topaz. I really hope the install a charger in Carson at some point.
Even on 395 I've had to wait in Lone Pine, and mammoth, almost had to wait in Inyokern once too but a guy was pulling out right as i was about to put it in park. Somehow I've not had to w2ait in bishop but I've seen a line form while i was charging.

I like how in Europe they have one standard plug and they definitely need to do this for the states, I'd prefer the tesla plug because its so small compared to all other plugs and its what i have.

And yeah 50 is called the loneliest highway for a reason, there is only 1 tesla charger and that's in Tahoe, but there is one in Ely that should be opening in a couple months but still all of 50 and that's it, i guess because 80 is the main road so it gets priority for installations.

Well, so far the CCS compatible sites are all under-utilized sites that don’t seem to get a lot of traffic…and the non tesla owners are already complaining about that. 😊. Tesla is not going to stress any already stressed sites. As well, as per their announcement, it will be 10 percent (roughly 3500) of the expected end 2024 35000 tesla supercharger pedestals.

Meh. I’m not worried. Plus it’s only in the US. Neither Canada nor Mexico is included…yet. So about 6 percent of the North American total.

Last edited:
Well, so far the CCS compatible sites are all under-utilized sites that don’t seem to get a lot of traffic…and the non tesla owners are already complaining about that. 😊. Tesla is not going to stress any already stressed sites. As well, as per their announcement, it will be 10 percent (roughly 3500) of the expected end 2024 35000 tesla supercharger pedestals.

Meh. I’m not worried. Plus it’s only in the US. Neither Canada nor Mexico is included…yet. So about 6 percent of the North American total.
yeah you can see on the map even in CA there is only 2 stations they made available. I've been to the Scotts valley one a couple times and its in a very convenient location for me

And yeah 50 is called the loneliest highway for a reason, there is only 1 tesla charger and that's in Tahoe,
But the opposite is true for NV Hwy 50, many CCS & J-1772, but no Tesla anything. It could also be true in CA. A lot of CCS on CA Hwy 50 also. I checked into many of them (always motocycle) , so that is how I know. CA 80 also has a lot more CCS. Tesla has to be Rocklin and then Truckee, the last I checked. But CCS almost every exit between here (Auburn, CA as of an hour ago) and Truckee.

But if the CCS works, especially in NV, is another question. I have yet to even hear of a Tesla Supercharger being down. Looks like they all get a "10" rating on Plugshare. In NV, many have been broken for more than a year. Such as the only one in Hawthorne, NV and the only one in Fallon, NV.

Lake Topaz is an important location for me and my electric motorcycles. But they cannot use Tesla Superchargers. And that is the only thing there. IMO, they should at least have a few J-1772s at every DC charge station. That can even be handy at places where we must wait. They are much cheaper to install, and AFAIK, every EV make will work with J-1772, worse case is needing an adapter for it as Tesla does. My 2018 Tesla M3, AWD came with a bunch of adapters, including for J-1772, but Tesla no longer puts them in the newer cars.

It seems everybody makes an adapter for Tesla. I have seen many Teslas charging at the Wall*Marts with the CHAdeMO adapter. Now, they also have a CCS adapter. The CHAdeMO adapter is now hard to find and is rather useless these days and it costs around $850.00. But the CCS to Tesla adapter is rather cheap and no doubt that is why the CHAdeMO adapter is now difficult to find. I never tried the CCS adapter on my Tesla. I only rarely go farther than this 99.0 miles (Reno to Auburn, CA) in my Tesla, so it is usually only home charged. I drove my Tesla here about an hour ago.

-Don- Auburn, CA

But the opposite is true for NV Hwy 50, many CCS & J-1772, but no Tesla anything. It could also be true in CA. A lot of CCS on CA Hwy 50 also. I checked into many of them (always motocycle) , so that is how I know. CA 80 also has a lot more CCS. Tesla has to be Rocklin and then Truckee, the last I checked. But CCS almost every exit between here (Auburn, CA as of an hour ago) and Truckee.

But if the CCS works, especially in NV, is another question. I have yet to even hear of a Tesla Supercharger being down. Looks like they all get a "10" rating on Plugshare. In NV, many have been broken for more than a year. Such as the only one in Hawthorne, NV and the only one in Fallon, NV.

Lake Topaz is an important location for me and my electric motorcycles. But they cannot use Tesla Superchargers. And that is the only thing there. IMO, they should at least have a few J-1772s at every DC charge station. That can even be handy at places where we must wait. They are much cheaper to install, and AFAIK, every EV make will work with J-1772, worse case is needing an adapter for it as Tesla does. My 2018 Tesla M3, AWD came with a bunch of adapters, including for J-1772, but Tesla no longer puts them in the newer cars.

It seems everybody makes an adapter for Tesla. I have seen many Teslas charging at the Wall*Marts with the CHAdeMO adapter. Now, they also have a CCS adapter. The CHAdeMO adapter is now hard to find and is rather useless these days and it costs around $850.00. But the CCS to Tesla adapter is rather cheap and no doubt that is why the CHAdeMO adapter is now difficult to find. I never tried the CCS adapter on my Tesla. I only rarely go farther than this 99.0 miles (Reno to Auburn, CA) in my Tesla, so it is usually only home charged. I drove my Tesla here about an hour ago.

-Don- Auburn, CA
BC Hydro and FLO are starting to put in J1772 with their DCFC units in isolated areas. (See pic).

Lots of used Chademo adapters for around 250 bucks as people sell them and get the CCS adaptor. They come and go fast though. We have both.

E130BAE3-BEBE-4D98-A5AB-5683A24F0D31.jpeg

-Don- Auburn, CA
That's crazy about hwy 50 I only look on the Tesla map because I can't use and DC fast chargers besides their network, I never got a chademo adapter and now it's not worth the hassle and price I wonder why it's like that.

I have free charging for life so the superchargers are important for me. Also when towing my teardrop it's more important because my range drops 40-50%. I've had my car for like 6 years now and put on over 160k miles, I drive it everywhere. I will get the CCS upgrade once they offer it likely in the next few months since they just announced the price finally, is only $450.

I dono how useful a J1772 is for a motorcycle is guess pretty good since ethe pack is small. But on my car after 5 hours on a j1772 I've only gained like 20% 😂

That's crazy about hwy 50 I only look on the Tesla map because I can't use and DC fast chargers besides their network, I never got a chademo adapter and now it's not worth the hassle and price I wonder why it's like that.

I have free charging for life so the superchargers are important for me. Also when towing my teardrop it's more important because my range drops 40-50%. I've had my car for like 6 years now and put on over 160k miles, I drive it everywhere. I will get the CCS upgrade once they offer it likely in the next few months since they just announced the price finally, is only $450.

I dono how useful a J1772 is for a motorcycle is guess pretty good since ethe pack is small. But on my car after 5 hours on a j1772 I've only gained like 20% 😂
Yah. Good in an emergency though.

Glad to see they got the CCS upgrade coming for the older cars. Congrats.

What kind of teardrop are you pulling. Love to see a pic.

On 120 VAC, Level 1, I can fully charge from 0 to 100% SOC in five hours (1.4 KW) on the Zero DS I take on my RV trips. Or I can use my external chargers that total to 6.3 KW and charge it in an hour from 240 VAC such as a J-1772, 0 to around 95% SOC. I rarely need to charge at better than 120 VAC as it is charging as I do other things around the RV. The battery is around the same KWH as the KW of my charging, the highest I can go on it. I can average around 50 miles range on it, which has always been more than enough. But I can go as far as there are J-1772's on the way.

I had 6 months free charging when I purchased my 2018 Tesla. I used it one time only to see how it works. I charged for five minutes in Truckee, behind the Safeway that I had no idea was even there until I gave the voice command for the Superchargers. I was impressed how simple it was. And how it found hidden chargers that I never knew existed, even after being at that Safeway in the past. More than 99.9% of my Tesla charging is done at home.

The CHAdeMO Tesla adapter is more expensive probably because (I assume) it is more than an adapter; it is most likely a converter. Why the CCS adapter wasn't first, I have no idea, but there are all these FW updates both to the Teslas as well as to all the chargers and that probably later simplified the process.

Unlike you, my Tesla gets little use, but I used it to come here today. I have not driven it for more than a month before today.

-Don- Auburn, CA

But on my car after 5 hours on a j1772 I've only gained like 20%
Your Tesla AC charger is most likely a 12KW charger as is the AC charger in my 2018 Tesla M3. But most J-1772's are around 7KW, some less than 3KW. But a couple around Lake Tahoe are 70-amps which is almost 17,000 watts! See here. Free to use. That is my Zero SR in the photo charging at 8KW, higher than many EV cars can do on a J-1772. These 70-amp J-1772s are very rare. But your Tesla should charge at the full 12 KW there, which will be around 42 miles gained in an hour. The ratings are not only on Plugshare, but also on the units themselves. So I know how fast I will be charging even before I connect to it. You can do the same.

Telsa Destination AC charge stations are typically more power than J-1772. And usually are free to use. Such as here. All the bikes in those photos are mine, (I own four electric motorcycles, 2 EV cars). Expect to gain ~42 MPH charging there also, as those are 16 KWs each, so you will charge at 12 KW on your Tesla. My Energicas can only charge at 3KW on AC, but my Zero SR can charge at 8KW there. But Zeros have no DC fast charging.

There is a Chinese restaurant across the street that I often go to as I get a free charge on the way to wherever I am going as I have lunch. Even the City Hall at Virgina City has free AC charging, both J-1772 as well as Tesla Destination. You can see my 2020 Energica Esse Esse 9 in the photos there. Blue "tank". Free AC charging is the norm in the Reno and Carson City Area. Some even near here, such as the train station in Colfax., CA and can walk around the town as it is charging, have lunch or whatever. Those are my bikes in those photos too.

There are also free ones here in Auburn, but too close to home to be useful to me.

I normally do not look for the free charge stations, but I will use them when I have the opportunity when in the area doing other things.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I have free charging for life so the superchargers are important for me.
There are a few CCS fast chargers that are free to use, such as the Donner Summit Rest Area, here. The perfect location for me, halfway here right on the very top of the hill. Does me little good when they are buried under the snow as they are right now! But won't be riding over that summit now anyway. In those photos, the only motorcycle shown is my 2020 Energica Esse Esse 9.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Even on 395 I've had to wait in Lone Pine, and mammoth, almost had to wait in Inyokern once too but a guy was pulling out right as i was about to put it in park. Somehow I've not had to w2ait in bishop but I've seen a line form while i was charging.
Wow, that Supercharger in Bishop has like 10 stations. I don't believe I've seen more than 3 cars there at once. I frequent the little Mexican merchado across the street. They have an excellent lunch menu.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom