All things Tesla!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your Tesla AC charger is most likely a 12KW charger as is the AC charger in my 2018 Tesla M3. But most J-1772's are around 7KW, some less than 3KW. But a couple around Lake Tahoe are 70-amps which is almost 17,000 watts! See here. Free to use. That is my Zero SR in the photo charging at 8KW, higher than many EV cars can do on a J-1772. These 70-amp J-1772s are very rare. But your Tesla should charge at the full 12 KW there, which will be around 42 miles gained in an hour. The ratings are not only on Plugshare, but also on the units themselves. So I know how fast I will be charging even before I connect to it. You can do the same.

Telsa Destination AC charge stations are typically more power than J-1772. And usually are free to use. Such as here. All the bikes in those photos are mine, (I own four electric motorcycles, 2 EV cars). Expect to gain ~42 MPH charging there also, as those are 16 KWs each, so you will charge at 12 KW on your Tesla. My Energicas can only charge at 3KW on AC, but my Zero SR can charge at 8KW there. But Zeros have no DC fast charging.

There is a Chinese restaurant across the street that I often go to as I get a free charge on the way to wherever I am going as I have lunch. Even the City Hall at Virgina City has free AC charging, both J-1772 as well as Tesla Destination. You can see my 2020 Energica Esse Esse 9 in the photos there. Blue "tank". Free AC charging is the norm in the Reno and Carson City Area. Some even near here, such as the train station in Colfax., CA and can walk around the town as it is charging, have lunch or whatever. Those are my bikes in those photos too.

There are also free ones here in Auburn, but too close to home to be useful to me.

I normally do not look for the free charge stations, but I will use them when I have the opportunity when in the area doing other things.

-Don- Auburn, CA
I have the dual chargers so I can get up to 19kW from AC. That's why I installed a 100A HPWC at my mom's house for when I visit it's 10% to 90% in like 3-4 hours.
Most of the J1772 stations I've used are 30A 208V that's why they tend to be so slow.
Some of the destination chargers are 8kW some are 19kW it just depends on the owners when they installed them but it says what the power is on the Tesla screen and plugshare.

I mostly stick with the supercharger network I only use the public stations when I'm in a pinch and need juice faster than I can get at home. There is a charge point 1 mile from my house and if I need power because I gotta leave since I only charge at 120v 10A at home I'll plug into that station and walk home so it can charge for a couple hours which is usually enough to get me to the nearest town 45 minutes away which also happens to have a supercharger.
Wow, that Supercharger in Bishop has like 10 stations. I don't believe I've seen more than 3 cars there at once. I frequent the little Mexican merchado across the street. They have an excellent lunch menu.
Most of the time that is the case but on the weekends a lot of the LA people go to mammoth and clog up everything along the way.
That Mexican place is ok but I prefer great basin bakery right around the corner, they make a delicious egg and bacon sandwich, I'll get a little chipotle mayo on there and it's perfect.

I have the dual chargers so I can get up to 19kW from AC.
I see you have a 2014 Model S. How many KWHs is your battery?

Can they still be purchased with two AC chargers?

I figured back then, the higher rate AC charging was much more important because they didn't have nearly as many Superchargers back in those days. And many of the Tesla Destination Stations could also do close to that 19 KW. These days, I think most of the new ones are 12KW, which is enough for home use, but not so great for when on the road.

I will be leaving in around an hour to Placerville, to see if I can use the Tesla Supercharger on my Energica Experia. Only 37 miles from here via road.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I see you have a 2014 Model S. How many KWHs is your battery?

Can they still be purchased with two AC chargers?

I figured back then, the higher rate AC charging was much more important because they didn't have nearly as many Superchargers back in those days. And many of the Tesla Destination Stations could also do close to that 19 KW. These days, I think most of the new ones are 12KW, which is enough for home use, but not so great for when on the road.

I will be leaving in around an hour to Placerville, to see if I can use the Tesla Supercharger on my Energica Experia. Only 37 miles from here via road.

-Don- Auburn, CA
The same line that says it's a 2014 says what size pack it is 😂😂 it's an 85 battery so it currently has 71kWh with 67kWh useable because of the 4kWh buffer Tesla built in to prevent bricking.

The dual charger went away a long time ago and they had a large charger that capped out at 72A instead of the 80A the dual had them that went away and now people are just stuck with 48A no other options available.

There is still a bunch of the 80A destination chargers out there but most of the new installs are 60A

The same line that says it's a 2014 says what size pack it is 😂😂 it's an 85 battery so it currently has 71kWh with 67kWh useable because of the 4kWh buffer Tesla built in to prevent bricking.

The dual charger went away a long time ago and they had a large charger that capped out at 72A instead of the 80A the dual had them that went away and now people are just stuck with 48A no other options available.

There is still a bunch of the 80A destination chargers out there but most of the new installs are 60A
I had no idea that "P85" meant the battery size in max KWH. I think my M3 LR is 70 KWH (max) so probably 66 KWH useable.

I went to Placerville today to try out the Tesla Supercharger on my "non-Tesla" Energica Experia.

Only 8KW. Sometimes as low as 7KW or as high as 9KW but mostly 8KW by far. I started the charge at 55% SOC, ended it at 80%.

On normal CCS, I usually get three times that charge rate.

But it works. Weird how it works, an adapter comes out for CCS that is attached to the same Tesla hose.

When I first got there, my very first thought was Tesla was trying for the stupidity award of the year, by asking for non-Teslas here. Every spot was taken by a Tesla, I had to wait ten minutes for a Tesla to leave so I could connect up. Not only that, but this is also a stupid, unnecessary location. More than enough CCS chargers in Placerville, CA. I won't ever have the need for this location again. And it was somewhat of a hassle to figure out how to active it, I got many error messages. I discovered the only way to clear it was to not only disconnect, but to put everything back in the machine and start over. More trouble than it is worth and can charge at 25KW less than a mile from there.

But even the slow rate I would find VERY useful in places such as Lake Topaz, NV. But for now, this is a stupid, useless location for me.

And if it is that busy in this mall during a late Friday afternoon, imagine how it would be on a Saturday.
2KWHcell.JPG8KWDC.JPGEngEXp.JPG
But how busy it was could have only been a coincidence. By the time I was at 80% SOC, I was the only one there other than one Tesla. Most of them all left at around the same time.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
I had no idea that "P85" meant the battery size in max KWH. I think my M3 LR is 70 KWH (max) so probably 66 KWH useable.

I went to Placerville today to try out the Tesla Supercharger on my "non-Tesla" Energica Experia.

Only 8KW. Sometimes as low as 7KW or as high as 9KW but mostly 8KW by far. I started the charge at 55% SOC, ended it at 80%.

On normal CCS, I usually get three times that charge rate.

But it works. Weird how it works, an adapter comes out for CCS that is attached to the same Tesla hose.

When I first got there, my very first though was Tesla was trying for the stupidity award of the year. Every spot was taken by a Tesla, I had to wait ten minutes for a Tesla to leave so I could connect up. Not only that, but this is also a stupid, unnecessary location. More than enough CCS chargers in Placerville, CA. I won't ever have the need for this location again. And it was somewhat of a hassle to figure out how to active it, I got many error messages. I discovered the only way to clear it was to not only disconnect, but to put everything back in the machine and start over. More trouble than it is worth and can charge at 25KW less than a mile from there.

But even the slow rate I would find VERY useful in places such as Lake Topaz, NV. But for now, this is a stupid, useless location for me.

And if it is that busy in this mall during a late Friday afternoon, imagine how it would be on a Saturday.
View attachment 162398View attachment 162399View attachment 162400
But how busy it was could have only been a coincidence. By the time I was at 80% SOC, I was the only one there other than one Tesla. Most of them all left at around the same time.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Yeah the battery size is how they used to badge and market them 60, 75, 85, 90, and 100 but none but the 100 were actually that size 😂🤦‍♂️like my 85 is actually originally 81kWh. This is one of the reasons they went to long range and standard range so there would be less complaints the battery isn't the size it's supposed to be.

That's strange about your charging speed, I saw a video of some rivian, and f150 using the one in NY and they were getting like 150kW which was about right for the battery level they had.
It looked pretty easy, just open the app and say what stall you're at and then pull it down and plug in.
The speed could be the Tesla logic during it's communication with the vehicle gives it less than it's asking for as a safety measure as to not have any accidents at their network.

The speed could be the Tesla logic during it's communication with the vehicle gives it less than it's asking for as a safety measure as to not have any accidents at their network.
That was exactly what I was thinking as well. That is still better than the very latest FW on the CCS ChagePoints that will not charge my Experia at all. Just stays on the initiation screen forever and will not start the charge.

Yeah the battery size is how they used to badge and market them 60, 75, 85, 90, and 100 but none but the 100 were actually that size
The useable KWH is usually between 10 and 15% lower than the max capacity. Of course they like to advertise the max to make it sound larger. My Energica is a 22.5KWH max. battery, 19.7 KWH is what I can use. 87.55 % of its max rating.

I expect average range on a motorcycle to be around 7 miles per KWH in normal riding (like I do). 19.7KWH times 7=137.9 miles on my new 2023 Energica Experia. Double that for slower city speeds and less than half when racing (or above ~85 mph).

-Don- Auburn, CA

The useable KWH is usually between 10 and 15% lower than the max capacity. Of course they like to advertise the max to make it sound larger. My Energica is a 22.5KWH max. battery, 19.7 KWH is what I can use. 87.55 % of its max rating.
With Tesla it's 4kW no matter what battery you have. So the original max capacity of my battery was 81kW with a useable 77kW. Here is the actual sizes of the various packs they made.

60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.

85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable

90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable

100/P100D/100D – ~103.7 kWh total capacity, 99.7 kWh usable

75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable

With Tesla it's 4kW no matter what battery you have. So the original max capacity of my battery was 81kW with a useable 77kW. Here is the actual sizes of the various packs they made.

60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.

85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable

90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable

100/P100D/100D – ~103.7 kWh total capacity, 99.7 kWh usable

75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
I think all of those will be close to that 10-15%. Tesla just likes to have 4KWH above the useable capacity for whatever reason. That probably makes their smaller batteries a little longer lasting than their larger batteries.

FWIW, I think it's a good idea to show both specs. The unusable amount kinda shows how easy or hard they are on the battery.

I hear Zero sells a few of their motorcycles to the military. Those have a switch so you can run it down so far to brick the battery. That is because that added range of a few km could save a life for the rather cheap cost of a battery.

BTW, this was a perfect riding day today. Rain comes here tomorrow, for the next four days in a row.

-Don- Auburn, CA

EVs should stay hooked up to feed the electrical grid in the case of a power outage due to the hurricane. No one with an ICE vehicle returning after the evacuation wants to find their home freezer with melted ice cream.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom