Amazing machinery!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, I was amazed!
Amazing indeed.

Wonder what our ancestors who somehow got it done without the use of all these toys, would think of machines like this today?

Or for that matter, what will generations a hundred years or so from how think about this by then ancient tech?

All this stuff is designed by computers, built with equipment operated by computers and built with materials formulated by computer. What really impresses me is the monster steam locomotives from back in the day. What those locomotives were able to do given the technology of the time was pretty amazing.

One of the greatest steam locomotives was the Union Pacific Big Boy. They had a total dry weight of 600 tons, a max power output of 7000 horsepower (current long haul locomotives have around 4000 horsepower) and would do 60 mph. Pretty impressive for 1940 technology

before i started to work at the L&N Railroad shops in Lousiville Ky they used to completely build steam engines. before they shut down completely they still had two huge steam hammers in the blacksmith shop. outside that shop was a covered area where they still had all the templates for all the locomotive components. back in 75 they used one of those steam hammers to pound out fallow blocks out of scrap truck axles and you could feel the ground shake half mile away. i was told there were 9 flatcars of cross ties under each steam hammer.
i still love to watch the operation of the huge old steam farm tractors.

before i started to work at the L&N Railroad shops in Lousiville Ky they used to completely build steam engines. before they shut down completely they still had two huge steam hammers in the blacksmith shop. outside that shop was a covered area where they still had all the templates for all the locomotive components. back in 75 they used one of those steam hammers to pound out fallow blocks out of scrap truck axles and you could feel the ground shake half mile away. i was told there were 9 flatcars of cross ties under each steam hammer.
i still love to watch the operation of the huge old steam farm tractors.
Odd you mentioned that; I have an ICC lantern in my collection, it's in excellent condition. About 25 miles from my house is HQ of the largest active private RR in the U.S.A.

All this stuff is designed by computers, built with equipment operated by computers and built with materials formulated by computer. What really impresses me is the monster steam locomotives from back in the day. What those locomotives were able to do given the technology of the time was pretty amazing.

One of the greatest steam locomotives was the Union Pacific Big Boy. They had a total dry weight of 600 tons, a max power output of 7000 horsepower (current long haul locomotives have around 4000 horsepower) and would do 60 mph. Pretty impressive for 1940 technology
Yes it is an amazing locomotive. I wonder how hard it would be to get the outher one I know of up and running again. It is currently in the Henry Ford Museum of American innovation. Hear is 414 up and running.

(current long haul locomotives have around 4000 horsepower)
Yep, although they string together as many as they need, but two Big Boys would have been an incredible sight. Apparently only 25 were built.

Nice video of 4014 which I understand has been converted to oil for fuel...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom