Are we dinosaurs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DougJ said:
... my first car was in 1960 and it was an Austin Anglia.

Doug, the Anglia was a great car, but wasn't it a Ford rather than an Austin?

Hey Carson!

Three girls of high school age were best friends.  One of them, Pat, had a much older sister who owned a '39 Willys.  However, it had been put up on blocks during WWII  and stored in their garage because they could not get tires for it during that time frame.  Some years later, it had seemed to have been forgotten until we three got to looking at it.  Well, wouldn't you know we pooled our resources, got tires for it, had one of the boyfriends do some tinkering on it, and it became the run-about for the three friends.  Wonderful memories that you just restored for me, me being one of those friends.  Thanks ever so much.  What fun we had!!!!!!!!

Daisy

P. S.  We are still good friends to this day!!!!

Karl,

I knew for sure, but was trying to be diplomatic  ;D  OTOH Doug might have been testing us.

Since Carl renamed me an 'old coot', let me show you what a pair of old coots look like. (Left to right in the photo - Carl and yours truly.)

Daisy,
  Happy to have restored some happy memories with that old Willys.

I was only 17 at the time, making 1.00 per hour at work and gassed up 2.00 worth at a time.
  I remember the outdoor drive-in movies, cramped in that small car. Long drives on the weekends and "cruising" on Saturday nights.    Never did find a girlfriend - must have been the car.  ;D

It lasted me 2 years; I drove it into a deep water-filled ditch one night (alone). Car upside down with only enough airspace for my head near the floorboards. 6 hours later they pulled me out, unharmed. Made the Front Page of the local newspaper. My finest hour.  ;)

I still have the receipt for the tow- job - 18.00 dollars.

Happy motoring
carson FL

OK, I'll join the club.

First car was a Lafeyette coup. Paid $25 for it. Ran for years, just fine. Gas was 14.9 Cents in Mo. I could cross into Kansas and get it for 11.9. I put "add-on" turn signals on it, installed a heater I got from a junkyard, and a radio from a Ford, same place. Sold it years later for $50. Of course, it had the "improvements" by then.

Ray D  ;D

Doug, the Anglia was a great car, but wasn't it a Ford rather than an Austin?

No, Tom, I'm pretty sure it was an Austin for I subsequently upgraded in 1964 to an Austin Westminster (I think the British police used suped-up versions of this model).

Check out this site:  http://dallas.craigslist.org/car/398866445.html

Ciao,

Doug

Lowell said:
Me and my first car, a 57 Ford Fairlane with Mercury Crusier fender skirts
Nice car, Way more shiny than my "new" one.

My first car was a two tone turquoise '55 Ford.  It had a big back seat so  I could drive lots of friends to the beach and we pooled money for gas. No one had a seat belt.  Car got traded for a VW Beetle when I charged the battery (which frequently died)  with an electric portable charger.  Had it sitting  on radiator and when I  started up the car,  charger fell into the  fan, which bent and tore up the radiator.  Boy was I in trouble with my dad!  But since he was in the business of selling cars, he had access to get me another one.  I don't think of that being such a long time ago but it was 42 years ago.  Maybe I am a dinosaur and just don't know it!

Betty

Doug,

I had no idea that Austin made an Anglia. Here's the scoop on the Ford Anglia I was thinking of. It's hard to believe that the competing companies would have used the same model name during the same time period.

I notice that the ad you pointed to on Craig's list said "like Anglia" and wonder why they used that term.

Edit: All of the Austin models are listed in this article (scroll down the page for the list of models by year). No mention of an Anglia, but they show the A40 which is featured in that ad on Craig's List.

My first car was a truck, a 64 (I think) Chevy step-side. Bought it from Dad for $200 and had to make payments to do that. It was definitely not a chick car but I had a ball in it....and it did attract guys. Like Betty, I traded it for a VW beetle which Mike totaled 6 weeks after we got married. I also remember 25-cent/gallon gas. And I'm NOT a dinosaur.

Wendy

I had no idea that Austin made an Anglia. Here's the scoop on the Ford Anglia I was thinking of. It's hard to believe that the competing companies would have used the same model name during the same time period.

Come to think of it, Tom, you may be--probably are--right; but then that leaves me entirely confused.  I was thinking about this as I drove down to Seattle today

My first car WAS an Austin--bought it right after graduating from UofT in 1960.  My recollection that it was an Anglia is very strong--but then again, my father's only car might well have been the Anglia of my memory.  My father worked for a Commission Agency in (what is now) Guyana and that firm, I seem to recall, did import Fords which, through loyalty to the employer, seems to make it reasonable that he had a Ford.  Now then, as a digression, I seem to remember turn signals on that car which were little lighted arms that flipped out from the side by the door.

But, back to the Ford / Austin bit.  I looked at the Wikipedia article and truth to tell none of those pics look like any car--Anglia or WEstminster--I ever owned.  I wonder if that's because I had Canadian versions as opposed to English versions???--but then again, the article doesn't identify Canadian versions although it does identify Australian versions.

Again AIR, the Westminster had twin SU carbs that made tuning the engine a nightmare; but when it was nicely tuned, it ran beautifully and drove very nicely--you could change gears by taking your foot off the gas and moving the gear shift, except when you came to a stop and you had to use the clutch.

But, the Anglia:  I don't recognise any models shown in the pics nor does the info given about the cars ring any bells for me--I'm not surprised by that because I never wanted to lift the hood on any auto I owned, even to this day.

So, I'm confused.

Ciao,

Doug

LOL Doug, I hope you weren't too distracted from your driving when you were thinking about that.

It sounds like the Canadian model lineup might well have been different from the UK lineup. Come to think of it, that makes perfect sense, because they were probably built in Canada for the Canadian market.

I seem to remember turn signals on that car which were little lighted arms that flipped out from the side by the door.

Ah yes, the good old "semaphore indicators". I'd forgotten about them until I read your message. That's what my Dad's second car had and I've occasionally seen them in old B&W British movies. Dad's first car was a 3-wheeler and the only turn signals were made by hand.

My first car was a 1966 Mustang, $1800 and Marsha and I had been dating about a year.  Our parents were certainly happy that it did not have a roomy back seat.  What did they know..we had great times tailgating at the INDY 500..tim

Maybe I'm too young to join this conversation, but my first car was a 1981 ford F-150. I remember it had a leak in the gas tank, so i couldn't fill it more than half full. The gas guage didn't work either so you can imagine how many times I ran out of gas. I had that truck for four years and never changed the oil, heck I don't think I ever checked the oil in that thing. That truck never gave me one day of trouble, well except for the running out of gas once a week.

Steve

Tim Lassen said:
Our parents were certainly happy that it did not have a roomy back seat.  What did they know

Mike had a VW beetle when I visited him while he was stationed in Hawaii.....who needs a roomy back seat?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pjay15
Back
Top Bottom