Battery Charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The BIRD is just one brand/model of battery charge controller, and one that was desggned long after your '94 Southwind was built. I'm pretty sure your '94 has a Battery Control Center (BCC) designed by RV Custom Products (I had a '96 equipped like that). Basically it closes a relay to connect house and chassis systems under two circumstances:
  1. Shore or generator power is present for charging and the house batteries are fully charged.
  2. No shore power present and the chassis battery is fully charged with the engine alternator running.
I've added a Troubleshooting document for that BCC to the site RESOURCES section. See https://www.rvforum.net/resources/rv-products-bcc-troubleshooting.229/
Thanks for this. I’m thinking based on your write up you linked that my issue may lie in the coach battery disconnect not actually disconnecting. I think that solenoid needs replaced. Maybe if I can get that to isolate and with shore power hooked in, the circuit board will work right and close the chassis battery charging/ aux start solenoid when it senses the need. For now I jumped the converter power to the aux start solenoid and closed it. This should at least charge my chassis battery up. I may add a switch so I can turn off and avoid overcharging until I have “extra” money to try and fix it right. Again, thanks. Great write up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom