Battery Low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chinookers

I have a 21' Chinook Premier, equipped with two Interstate SRM-27 coach batteries.  We use the RV most weekends, generally not driving too far, generally dry camping.  The batteries were new in March of this year, electrolyte levels are good. 

We have never experienced a low battery warning till this Thanksgiving Day. 

Thanksgiving Day we had what I would call our normal usage level - just a few lights, fridge running on propane, occasional use of Fantastic Fan in coach & fan in toilet.  The only thing different to normal is that we ran the propane furnace Wednesday night.

I have not yet been able to find the ampere-hour rating for the furnace but I would have guessed at maybe 8.  And the furnace fan was only running occasionally, so it is hard to imagine why this would have depleted the battery so much.

Could it be that with only driving short distances each week the battery never gets adequate charge and the furnace was just enough to tip the balance? 

The RV is not plugged into 110 during the week but we do have a solar panel constantly charging. 

I'm trying to think through if there is a problem with the batteries, the charging system, or if there is some kind of unidentified drain on the batteries.

Would appreciate your advice.

As you have just found out, furnaces eat batteries for breakfast. If you have not kept your battery bank charged up during the week, you will have a problem. Most solar installations cannot and will not bring up a discharged battery bank. But if the battery bank is fully charged, it will maintain it, preventing it being discharged by all the miscellaneous stuff that is not normally disconnected like the propane detector etc.

If you are only driving a short distance I would recommend plugging into 110 while you are at home for a few days every week and make absolutely sure your batteries are completely charged before hitting the road to go boondocking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poppoppete
Back
Top Bottom