boondocking in rest stops and Wal-Marts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In this context, boondocking is any overnight say without campground services. You can split it down into as many subcategories as you like, but the question was plain and simple:  What's your experience when staying in places other than campgrounds?

My guess is most boon dockers do not travel alone.  At least when you consider that many have a large and sometimes aggressive puppy or a pop gun, both of which will go a long way toward discouraging uninvited troublesome intruders.  We have neither which is the reason we don't boon dock unless with friends that usually have some added security. 

garyb1st said:
My guess is most boon dockers do not travel alone.  At least when you consider that many have a large and sometimes aggressive puppy or a pop gun, both of which will go a long way toward discouraging uninvited troublesome intruders.  We have neither which is the reason we don't boon dock unless with friends that usually have some added security.

But no one will know whether you have a pop gun or an automatic rifle until they try something, would they take that chance?

You have covered well all the places we have ?black-topped? except church parking lots (but not on Saturday night!). We have found that empty commercial lots behind fast-food joints usually let my dear Wife bootleg the absolutely necessary WiFi!

garyb1st said:

I follow several single RVers who have youtube channels, and all of them travel alone at least part of the time, and do so while boondocking.

My wife and I will stay in a corn field in the middle of nowhere or just off some road. A dog is a valuable asset. I prefer rescue dogs from the SPCA because I think they know you saved them and they are amazingly loyal and extremely obedient.

Never spank a dog, just use treats and pet them, they love attention. The only downside is they want to cuddle. My wife doesn't mind because she will walk alone and feels safe with her.

My neck hairs were tingling and I knew that someone, somewhere was using my favorite camping term ?boondocking? to refer to ?parking? at a Walmart (or rest area). That term has been, successfully it seems, stolen by those who might be new to this game. Boondocking means dry camping in the country (as in ?down in the boondocks?). Dry camping means camping without any services other than the beauty of Mother Nature. Parking is not Camping. Others call this ?wallydocking? and I could care less since I don?t do it. Since starting tent camping 65 years ago as a Boy Scout, to moving on to a Dreamer pickup camper, then BACK to a pop up, then to my first GMC Motohome, I have been at this for awhile. I belong to a few Boondocking forums and not once have I seen ?Walmart? in any posts.  But as for the use of this term, I fear I am fighting an uphill battle, and it might be just easier to coin a new term for ?boondocking? and let the ?wallydockers? have it. 8) 8) ???

Inspector Fenwick said:
My neck hairs were tingling and I knew that someone, somewhere was using my favorite camping term ?boondocking? to refer to ?parking? at a Walmart (or rest area). That term has been, successfully it seems, stolen by those who might be new to this game. Boondocking means dry camping in the country (as in ?down in the boondocks?). Dry camping means camping without any services other than the beauty of Mother Nature. Parking is not Camping. Others call this ?wallydocking? and I could care less since I don?t do it. Since starting tent camping 65 years ago as a Boy Scout, to moving on to a Dreamer pickup camper, then BACK to a pop up, then to my first GMC Motohome, I have been at this for awhile. I belong to a few Boondocking forums and not once have I seen ?Walmart? in any posts.  But as for the use of this term, I fear I am fighting an uphill battle, and it might be just easier to coin a new term for ?boondocking? and let the ?wallydockers? have it. 8) 8) ???
Larry, you are fighting a losing battle. I gave up long ago. But it is also true that dry camping and Wally-docking have many similarities with boondocking in dealing with water, power, and waste. So it is still helpful to provide information about those things. Hopefully when they get more comfortable dealing with the systems when off-grid they will feel the confidence to really go boondocking.

Inspector Fenwick said:

I think you're right. People use the boondock term meaning no services but Wallmart has restrooms and supplies.

Boondocking to me means you're 100% on your own and how long you can go is important.

UTTransplant said:
Larry, you are fighting a losing battle. I gave up long ago. But it is also true that dry camping and Wally-docking have many similarities with boondocking in dealing with water, power, and waste. So it is still helpful to provide information about those things.

I agree the topic is still useful, and that arguing terminology is a loosing battle, but your middle statement is like saying taking a nap in the backyard is similar to doing a three day backpack.  ;D

PJ Stough said:
How far do you have to be from civilization for it to be called boondocking, and not dry camping?

I don't think distance from civilization is the issue.  You could be at a remote state park that doesn't offer any utilities or have cell phone service and I still wouldn't call that boondocking.  You're still going to be too near other people, and presumably have garbage service.

But if you can bring back supplies in a shopping cart that's clearly not boondocking!  ;D

Goodspike said:
I don't think distance from civilization is the issue.  You could be at a remote state park that doesn't offer any utilities or have cell phone service and I still wouldn't call that boondocking.  You're still going to be too near other people, and presumably have garbage service.

But if you can bring back supplies in a shopping cart that's clearly not boondocking!  ;D

So if someone is staying at La Posa West and within easy walking distance to the tent and other amenities, they are dry camping, but if you are at La Posa Tyson Wash where it is a couple of miles to civilization, you are boondocking, or do you have to go to La Posa South down by the Magic Circle to be considered boondocking?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

All this discussion about the precise definition of the term boondocking, has to be one of the silliest I've read in all my time reading here!  ;D  ::)

jymbee said:
All this discussion about the precise definition of the term boondocking, has to be one of the silliest I've read in all my time reading here!  ;D  ::)

But also a useful thread. That RV Parky app someone mentioned seems like it could be very useful, and I'd not heard of that before.  The thread title did lead to a sidetrack. 

We need a sign.  Boondocking this way.  Or maybe This area is considered a boondocking area by those who know what boondocking is.  Then again, maybe Boondocking to the right and dry camping to the left.  Could be a business opportunity for someone with a sign shop. 

Back
Top Bottom