boondocking in rest stops and Wal-Marts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems it all comes down to just how well the original poster wants to be understood.  In this case, I would have to guess that he doesn't really care.  Unfortunately, this is the way now. 
It has become "If I say something and you don't understand, that is your fault!" 
Never mind the fact that you answered the question that I actually asked, the fact that I don't know the words to ask and my phone won't give me an instant answer is not my problem.....

If someone were to say that he wants someplace to Boondock in eastern Connecticut, I would tell him that there is no way that can happen. 
If that same person asked if I knew a free ONP in that same area, I could give him a long list.

Definitions are just for people that want to be clearly understood. 

Is it still "Dry Camping" if you have a water tank and toilet?  I have to consider that one.

Matt

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Boondocking-Basics-Living-Graveled/dp/153938733X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&hvadid=78615132694625&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=boondocking&qid=1607717069&s=books&sr=1-4&tag=mh0b-20

Oldgator73 said:
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Boondocking-Basics-Living-Graveled/dp/153938733X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&hvadid=78615132694625&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=boondocking&qid=1607717069&s=books&sr=1-4&tag=mh0b-20

On the positive side it's free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

On the negative side, the author's name is Sunny Skye.  ::)

Camp grounds list electric, water and sewer.

I would say anyplace that has one of them disqualifies them as being called boondocking.

In my opinion, boondocking implies you're on your own. That's why I carry lots of gas, propane and have a really smart dog and a shotgun.

This farce reminds me of the long-winded debates we had a decade or so ago about "camping" vs "RVing".  Some argued that you weren't really camping if you were on a prepared site, while others were willing to concede you could have a water spigot near by and still be a camper rather than an RVer.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
This farce reminds me of the long-winded debates we had a decade or so ago about "camping" vs "RVing".  Some argued that you weren't really camping if you were on a prepared site, while others were willing to concede you could have a water spigot near by and still be a camper rather than an RVer.

Toilet paper-wad or fold
Peanut Butter- smooth or chunky

Either will work whether one is camping, RVing, boondocking or dry camping.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

I'd use different criteria.  If you paid over $500,000 for the vehicle, you're not "camping" no matter where you are!  :-* ;)

LOL, I just discovered there's a Boondocking sub-forum here.  It says in the description:  "A place to discuss issues unique to boondocking. Note that this message board is not intended for discussions related to overnighting at WalMart and similar locations; Such discussions have their own message board"

Goodspike said:
I'd use different criteria.  If you paid over $500,000 for the vehicle, you're not "camping" no matter where you are!  :-* ;)

That would be called "roughing it"  LOL  ;)

Gary RV_Wizard said:

I'm not sure but my doctor gives me prescriptions because he knows I may have to self administer myself. Most people have never given themselves shots let alone stitches. You need a doctor that trusts you because they can give stuff you can't get without a prescription. You need a good first aid kit and a pint of vodka.

Tom55555 said:
My wife and I will stay in a corn field in the middle of nowhere.

Lordy,  I bet you got permission to park in the owners cornfield.  Good, because I don't appreciate people just pulling into my field with no warning.

I bet all of you make sure no one objects to your choice of land to park on.

Now ya just have to pass along the RIGHT way to just pick a FREE spot.  Call  ahead and ask first.

Waving at everyone!  So much FUN to be had.

For clarity I like to break down staying overnight or multiple days in an RV in the categories below.  There can be some overflow between the three.

--  Overnight Parking (ONP):  Staying in your RV for usually 1 night in a place that most reasonable people wouldn't put out their awnings, pull out their lawn chairs and sit outside.  Parking lots, most anywhere, comes to mind for this category. 

--  Dry Camping:  Staying in your RV in a location that has defined and usually numbers places to park your RV (or tent).  State Parks, City Parks, National Park campgrounds and National Forest campgrounds w/o water/elect/sewer hookups come to mind.

--  Boondocking:  Staying in your RV in a location that does not have defined campsites, generally out in the boondocks away from fixed buildings and structures, but in places you would feel comfortable putting out your lawn chairs and BBQ. 

If people are writing or talking about doing variants of the 3 categories it would help to clarify just what you are doing, so others understand what you are trying to convey.  Such as boondocking at Walmart.  I personally don't like calling parking at Walmart boondocking, but at least I understand what the person is doing.

ziplock said:
Tom55555 said:
My wife and I will stay in a corn field in the middle of nowhere.

Lordy,  I bet you got permission to park in the owners cornfield.  Good, because I don't appreciate people just pulling into my field with no warning.

I bet all of you make sure no one objects to your choice of land to park on.

Now ya just have to pass along the RIGHT way to just pick a FREE spot.  Call  ahead and ask first.

Waving at everyone!  So much FUN to be had.

Out west there are places you can't even see a house or barn.

First of all, if it's wet I wouldn't go in, you stay where the tractors go, clean up after our dog, we don't litter, no fire; they don't even know we were there and my wife picks up garbage when she walks.

My wife picks up garbage everywhere we go. We always leave places cleaner than when we got there. Even State parks, people litter and they will put beer cans in the fire pits. Don't they understand they don't burn? When I go fishing somewhere and see bait canisters and stuff it just makes me want slap the crap out of them. It's to the point you have to bring a plastic bag everywhere you go. I just don't understand why people litter.

I started this thread to get a sense of what you all thought about using rest stops and Wal-Mart for an overnight stop.
For all of you concerned about definitions, maybe you should start another thread.

Well, the Mrs has this notion that camping is a hotel without room service.

In most rest areas, if you just pull in, lock up and go to sleep, you can stay long enough to get a good rest.
If you open up and set up camp, the State Police will likely come along a run you off.

Most of the rest area signs say "No overnight Camping" and many actually post a time limit on parking.
And, of course, it depends on the state. In Florida, they lock up a lot of Rest Areas at night.

I have only once spent the night in a Walmart. That was in a little town on US 24 in Indiana. The manager said that as long as we didn't look like we were setting up a long term camp, it would be no problem.

For the poor OP who didn?t realize they would be starting a definition war, don?t worry. Most of us are just going crazy with restrictions and getting a bit odd. Maybe I should say getting a bit more odd! Anyway, Tom5555, be careful camping in someone?s corn field. Farmers are generally friendly, but few take kindly to someone using their property without permission. My FIL would have been visiting you with a shotgun at his elbow.

Back
Top Bottom