Catalytic Converter Thieves Arrested

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well imagine if the crooks get a nickle (5 years) for each theft.. 44,000 times 5 WOW
Heck if they do the modern thing of a five month slap on the wrist.. Times 44,000
220,000 months or 18,333 years and 4 months. Might be long enough. But I like a dime per theft. (440,000 years)

Drove through Portland last weekend.
90% of the homeless camps along the freeway, burned out cars, etc are gone. Law abiding Citizens and police are reclaiming the city; glad to see it.
Portlanders still can’t freaking drive, but that’s nothing new ;)

And where did all those homeless go to after losing their "homes"?

-Don- Dunnigan, CA

Don, I want to believe they all turned a new leaf, quit bad habits, healed their traumas, and found work that they enjoy and which also pays the bills. I know that's not even close to the truth. The problem has likely moved locations and still needs focused resources including mental health and addiction treatment, job training, and other social services. But it's also not okay to set up a homeless camp next to the freeway on public land. I can't build myself a house on public land - rules are rules.

But it's also not okay to set up a homeless camp next to the freeway on public land. I can't build myself a house on public land - rules are rules.
But is it okay anywhere?

Yeah, rules are rules and laws are laws . . . .

“The law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal catalytic converters." :)
― Anatole France

-Don- Dunnigan, CA

OK math nerd here...

44,000 CC @ say 1 hour theft time per, counting finding one, travel, etc.

44,0000 / 262 day standard work year = 168 a year

What can I fence a used CC for? $100?

168 X 100 = $16.7k per year or about $8 an hour.

Minus costs of thieving we should rehab these guys to work at Midas...

Of course the article says "arrests" so that isn't even a single persons wage

Maybe I am way off on fenced value of a CC so it could be better than doctor's wages - LOL...

Maybe I am way off on fenced value of a CC so it could be better than doctor's wages
Well doctor's wages are not quite as good as they appear... You pay LARGE for the visit to the doctor but before he gets paid there are STAFFERs to pay. The cost of his office Rent and or mortague and taxes. Utilities (lights, water, sewer fuel) waste disposal INCLUDING HAZORIDOUS WASTE. He's got to pay off his student loans (not as easy as it used to be) and more.. What's left over... Well it's not as much as you might think.. Though I do suspect most of 'em have a very "Comfortable" bank balance (Like we could wish for) at the end of the week.

Still re-those student's loans... A few years ago the local newspaper (ok perhaps 30 years ago) ran a cartoon. the Doctor is sitting in his car. His doctor's bag on the seat to his right.. ONLY THERE IS NO CAR..
It had been reprocessed to cover his student loans... My Older Sister's job.. Processing the paperwork to do that.

There is a growing trend to have the cars VIN and license plate etched on converters. I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Lars, a harsh crackdown on scrap yards should already be happening, the laws are already in force, and have been for decades.

Well doctor's wages are not quite as good as they appear... You pay LARGE for the visit to the doctor but before he gets paid there are STAFFERs to pay. The cost of his office Rent and or mortague and taxes. Utilities (lights, water, sewer fuel) waste disposal INCLUDING HAZORIDOUS WASTE. He's got to pay off his student loans (not as easy as it used to be) and more.. What's left over... Well it's not as much as you might think.. Though I do suspect most of 'em have a very "Comfortable" bank balance (Like we could wish for) at the end of the week.

Still re-those student's loans... A few years ago the local newspaper (ok perhaps 30 years ago) ran a cartoon. the Doctor is sitting in his car. His doctor's bag on the seat to his right.. ONLY THERE IS NO CAR..
It had been reprocessed to cover his student loans... My Older Sister's job.. Processing the paperwork to do that.

The bigger the financial shovel one has the bigger the hole one can dig...

By BIL is an anesthesiologist. He chose that because he doesn't like talking to people (i.e. patients - LOL). He does hearts, "Gas 'em, wake 'em and go home."

He say about 1/2 his income goes to pay for liability insurance.

I have another friend who is a doctor. Lived like a starving student all the way through residency. Decided to live like a starving student for the next few years. Paid off all his student debt. His colleagues thought he was crazy not to have the financed beemer, the financed house and the financed wife...

He definitely got the last laugh.

There is a growing trend to have the cars VIN and license plate etched on converters. I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Lars, a harsh crackdown on scrap yards should already be happening, the laws are already in force, and have been for decades.
The last dealership I worked at before I moved to Arkansas did that to the windshields and back glasses of the new cars. They stated it was to help avoid theft.
I never could figure that out. I've never gotten a windshield out of a car without breaking it.

Indiana just passed very tough laws with stiff penalties, started 7/1/22 for anyone to scrap catalytic converters. Must have a license and documentation. I'm sure the big rings will still find a way around it, but it is a start. I've heard it is the auto scrap yards processing these stolen cats to the metal scrap facilities, and now vins have to match what they buy and sell.

True Story in Detroit a man had his car stolen.. It was recovered minus a few parts including either a door or a fender (Forget which think Fender) Well. the insurance authorized repair with USED parts.
So they ordered parts via a broker and ...they did not fit (Cars any given model come in 3 sizes. Large. Standard, Small. the difference may be as little as half an inch but where as "Standard" size parts will usually fit any of the above.. large and Small are NOT interchangeable. Why is this? Sometimes the parts come out a bit big. or a bit small. So the car companies toss 'em in the size sorted bins and when they have all they need.. Make a car.
Well they ordered new parts and they came from a different scrap yard.
They fit.. perfectly.. What's more they matched the paint job.. Perfectly What is even more recall I said a Door OR a fender but not both. Well they were scratched and the scratches lined up PERFECTLY... So one of the folks I used to work with showed up and found the hidden VIN on the "New" used part.. and yup it too matched perfectly.
Well the Junk yard supplying the body shop ordered from a broker and had it drop shipped. they never actually touched the fender (I am fairly sure it was the fender) The brooker just pushed paper.. The NewsPaper tracked it back to the junk yard that actually sold the fender.. And the owner slammed the door in their face.
Alas that did not work so well when the police showed up.
And the Turnkey slammed the door in the junk yard owner's face.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom