Connecticut To Florida Where Do You Layover To Rest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1joester2 said:
Gotta agree with this one. I've made that trip many times, and always in a single shot. From south central NY (near where 88/17/81 meet) to the Daytona Beach area in usually about 16.5 - 17 hours with 2 drivers. With a new driver in the wings, I'm not sure we'll be utilizing him just yet...Co-pilot for sure but not behind the wheel.

We go 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 most trips, but will do 83 in PA depending on the timing and traffic. Baltimore and D.C. are definitely something to avoid when traffic is heavy.

Driver changes are usually Front Royal, South of the Border, Santee and then at the FL welcome center with a run for some orange juice.

Most stops are long enough to fill up, grab a bite, and hit the road again. The couch is quite handy for napping.

That's how I like to roll  8)

I've made the trip from Boston to VA and further south too many times to count, and unless I have to get there quick I'll take I-81 to I-84 or the reverse. It's a little longer but a lot less stressful. I live in Springfield VA and the area where I-95 intersects is called the Mixing Bowl for good reasons. The area should be avoided. Any time day or night could be a 2-3 hour trip to Richmond when it should only be 90 minutes. Avoid the Mixing Bowl and take I-81S to I-64E. Once below Richmond the traffic is usually pretty smooth. Actually in thins out after Fredericksburg VA.

I'm going south in a couple of weeks from NH and I'll be going via 84/81 then 77 then 26 to 95. Anyone know what it will be like going through Charlotte  NC? I see on the map there is a loop around Charlotte. Anyone recommend I take it or stay right on 77? Thanks.

We've always stayed on I 77 through Charlotte, NC, and have never had any problems.

Ed

I'm proud of you one day driving studs but I get no enjoyment out of that nor am I in that much of a hurry to go anywhere. If I have to my max run is 13 or 14 hours and i'm exhausted after that, I'm the only driver so safety first for me fellas and lots pee stops and leg stretching for us and the dogs. ;-)

We've decided to over night at the RV resort Carolina Crossroads in Roanoke Rapids, NC day one about a 10 hr drive. Next day 6 hr drive to Hilton Head RV Marina Resort. Day three about 5 hrs to Williston Crossings in Williston, FL for a couple of nights to visit kin.

New Years day about 4.5 hrs down to Treasure Coast RV park in Fort Pierce for the month of January. Doing the reverse on the way home except for Williston. Thanks for all of you helpful information!!!

Slow Poke

Back
Top Bottom