Converting a Step Van into an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theLegionWithin

just joined, nice resource here. in the process of converting a 1987 Ford Grumman "Kabmaster" Step Van (Ford E-350 chassis, all aluminum body) into an RV - one of them mid-life projects. trying to research/plan each step before making it so I dont screw up too many times, and I found this most excellent website w/ all kinds of neat information - so, thanks for being here!

project pic included.

Attachments

• sexy stepvan.jpg
    sexy stepvan.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 18
just joined, nice resource here. in the process of converting a 1987 Ford Grumman "Kabmaster" Step Van (Ford E-350 chassis, all aluminum body) into an RV - one of them mid-life projects. trying to research/plan each step before making it so I dont screw up too many times, and I found this most excellent website w/ all kinds of neat information - so, thanks for being here!

project pic included.
I am just finishing a 20' cargo trailer camper conversion. Be prepared that it will take longer and cost more than you initially think!

40 years ago I converted a 73 Chevy step van into a RV. It was a fun project building a dinette/bed and bunk beds for the kids. Built a tiny bathroom for a porta potty. I got lucky finding a working RV fridge, stove/oven, and sink at a flea market. The step van I found had been a milk delivery truck so it had excellent double wall insulation and roof A/C. In great shape and for $200 at auction. Also made 13 mpg.

The biggest problem I ran into was keeping the kids warm when driving in cold weather. The dash heat wouldn't keep the cargo area warm so I had to weld up an extended bumper to mount a generator. Then I could run a 120v space heater while driving. Mine had double doors in the back that sealed tightly but your roll down door may not seal that well. I repainted the body so it looked custom but left the "From Moo To You" decals on the sides as conversation starters :) I got a lot of positive comments and never a negative one at campgrounds.

I am just finishing a 20' cargo trailer camper conversion. Be prepared that it will take longer and cost more than you initially think!
oh yeah, I've run into that issue already lol.

just installed a bulkhead door this last weekend - 80" x 36" solid core door slab trimmed down to 77.5" to get it on the heavy duty drawer slides (rated at 260 lbs) I'm using as the rail mechanism. this weekend I start building the bulkhead wall around it, then insulating the wall. going to try to reuse the aluminum sheeting I ripped off of the walls, using pop rivets to secure it to the 1/2 plywood sheeting. If successful I'll post some more pics ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20220530_123003_346.jpg
    IMG_20220530_123003_346.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 9
not sure why but it looks like my post got split off somehow? or maybe there's two threads for whatever reason? anyway, not going to retype stuff lol

Back
Top Bottom