Covid-19 - What is still open for RVrs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I get Lynx question. He's asking how do I get home or to a place where I can stay. Maybe being booted from current accommodation.  And a response of "don't travel" is not helpful.

ChasA said:
Well, I get Lynx question. He's asking how do I get home or to a place where I can stay. Maybe being booted from current accommodation.  And a response of "don't travel" is not helpful.

You can get home. Gas stations and truck stops are open. I think SeilerBird is saying if you are home or somewhere you can stay, don?t travel.

I know Las Vegas is shutting down.  My daughter had a wedding scheduled for April 3 - CANCELLED.  Hotel closed until mid April.

Locally restaurants are open - drive thru or carry out ONLY.  Barber shops / beauty shops ordered closed.  Fuel stops are open.  Not sure about campgrounds.

Isaac-1 said:
That is all fine until the hospitals get overwhelmed, see this list of the states with the most hospital beds per capita, yes I know not all hospital beds are equal.

Surprisingly enough Oregon is the worst at 1.2 beds per thousand people

Exact order of list varies depending on the data set, this is based on a 2015 review
1. South Dakota
2. North Dakota
3. Montana
4. Nebraska
5. Kansas
6. Wyoming
7. Iowa
8. Mississippi
9. Alaska
10. Oklahoma
11. West Virginia
12. Arkansas
13. Louisiana
This 5 year old data may not be accurate anymore. Lots of rural hospitals have closed. These states are mostly quite rural. You really want some place with a real ICU. That is a rare thing in rural hospitals.

Oldgator73 said:
All you have to do is remove the gloves incorrectly and you are now a carrier and most likely infected.

So don't remove them incorrectly, there are dozen if not hundreds of training videos on youtube for this.

UTTransplant said:
This 5 year old data may not be accurate anymore. Lots of rural hospitals have closed. These states are mostly quite rural. You really want some place with a real ICU. That is a rare thing in rural hospitals.

Except when all the real ICU's in the BIG cities are at 20X capacity, at which point in time the small town ICU normally with a capacity of 6 patients, but now loaded down with 12 is probably a better bet.  Note I live in one of the states on that list, though towards the bottom, in a town of about 10,000 people, and my wife spent a week in the ICU of the local hospital a few years ago, sure it might have been better to be somewhere like the Texas medical center in Houston, but you don't always get to choose such things.  Overall I think the small town hospital and ICU with 5 or 6 rooms did ok, though perhaps not as well equipped as a major hospital.

One other good thing with these more rural states, is the lack of lots of close contact with large groups of people, even in normal times.  People that go to town once a week to grocery shop, are probably a lot less likely to catch this than people that ride subways and buses.

Isaac-1 said:
So don't remove them incorrectly, there are dozen if not hundreds of training videos on youtube for this.

Well, there you go. I wonder how many actions are carried out incorrectly everyday where there is a Youtube video showing how do it correctly. Someday you are going to look back at what you posted and think ?I should have watched a YouTube video about how not to post stupid stuff?::

Oldgator73 said:
Well, there you go. I wonder how many actions are carried out incorrectly everyday where there is a Youtube video showing how do it correctly. Someday you are going to look back at what you posted and think ?I should have watched a YouTube video about how not to post stupid stuff?::

And how much of the virus would be spread by not wearing gloves at all?

NY_Dutch said:
And how much of the virus would be spread by not wearing gloves at all?

I think what I?m getting at is just because someone is wearing the gloves does not alleviate the chance of either infecting yourself or others. In other words, don?t get too cocky just because you wear gloves to pump gas. The best way to avoid this virus is to stay home. But most of us aren?t going to do that. I drove my wife to the dermatologist today and then we went through the drive through at Arby?s for fish sandwiches. The woman taking my money had gloves on. She handed me our food and then my change. Great chance for either me to pass the virus to her or vice versa.

Oldgator73 said:
Gas pump handles are famous for harboring the COVID-19 virus.
I suppose it is possible, I wouldn't say there is any evidence to support the term 'famous'.  ;)
But I will agree, it is a potential,  I grab a paper towel and hold the handle  ;)
I also try not touch doors, I use elbows as much as possible.  Being a taller guy, if I must touch something, I tend to reach up high, were the general population does not.  :)

SpencerPJ said:
I suppose it is possible, I wouldn't say there is any evidence to support the term 'famous'.  ;)
But I will agree, it is a potential,  I grab a paper towel and hold the handle  ;)
I also try not touch doors, I use elbows as much as possible.  Being a taller guy, if I must touch something, I tend to reach up high, were the general population does not.  :)

It?s hard when you?re out and about to be cognizant about not touching surfaces. The infection rate in the U.S. goes up exponentially every day. And that number is not reality. There are more likely tens of thousands more infected than what we are being told. Too many folks are not heeding the warnings. I feel bad for the full timers that are scrambling for somewhere safe to go. I hope you it and hunker down and are safe.

Oldgator73 said:
It?s hard when you?re out and about to be cognizant about not touching surfaces. The infection rate in the U.S. goes up exponentially every day.

Ooops OG.  The actual number of infection cases rises exponentially, not the rate of infection.  At this point, no one actually knows the rate of infection, although there are overall guess-estimates based on the Chinese experience.  Also the rate depends on the location, population density, avoidance measures implemented etc.  We won't know till it's all over what the rate of infection was for various areas, and the US as a whole.

Linda

We also won't know the real numbers of infection because there are SO many unreported cases. Only the worst cases are being documented. I'm willing to bet there are a large number of infected people not getting very sick and therefore not seeing a doctor and they don't count in the statistics. In Rochester alone, there are many people who suspect they have it that have not been tested.

I wonder if diesel pump handles are more sanitary than gas pump handles?  It's hard to imagine anything surviving for long in the oily residue on most diesel pump handles.

RVMommaTo6 said:
We also won't know the real numbers of infection because there are SO many unreported cases. Only the worst cases are being documented. I'm willing to bet there are a large number of infected people not getting very sick and therefore not seeing a doctor and they don't count in the statistics. In Rochester alone, there are many people who suspect they have it that have not been tested.

From what I have heard the problem with testing is in order to get tested you have to have symptoms and had come in contact with someone that tested positive.

Oldgator73 said:
From what I have heard the problem with testing is in order to get tested you have to have symptoms and had come in contact with someone that tested positive.
Yeah what they're saying is that they call their doctors and are told if it's mild just to stay home because they don't fall into any risk category.

PA Rest Areas are closed. Don't know if this means just the facilities and buildings or if the ramps are blocked. Truckers are furious.

dcb

dcbinvt said:
PA Rest Areas are closed. Don't know if this means just the facilities and buildings or if the ramps are blocked. Truckers are furious.

dcb
I've seen that in Kansas too, they're all blocked. That upsets me, not as an RVer but as a mom with my kids on the road. I don't want truck drivers (or anyone else really) on the road exhausted. Even if they close the facilities, keeping the parking area open for truckers wouldn't hurt anyone.

Back
Top Bottom