Crafts on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope we can make it to the rally in January.  Would be fun to meet all of you and the spouses

We hope to see you at the QZ rally too. Sam & I are looking forward to meeting you.  We have a great time at the QZ rally.

I must have missed the desk light Ron. We've been looking, but haven't yet found the desk version anywhere. Lots of desk lights available of course, but not that give that white light.

Sams desk light is also an Ott Light.  It folds down so it is easy to store.  Should be able to find one in any good quilt store.  Sam also suggests looking in garden stores or even Wal-Mart or Joann Fabrics.  Sam's desk light is the sam as shown at: http://www.lumenlight.com/truecolorlamp.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ron. IIRC we passed on that one because it didn't do what I needed. I'll look at it again next time I'm in the store.

Tom, you are so right about the light.  Thanks for the reminder.  That desk light that Ron showed us looks perfect, good light & easy to fold and put away.  Tom, the other one with the magnifier says it is for tying fishing flies--would it work for you?  Kay

RREngr said:
the other one with the magnifier says it is for tying fishing flies--would it work for you?

Kay, good thought. I might get to the point where I'll need a magnifier but, right now, it would get in the way.

While in Sam's club today we saw another light that might serve your purpose.  Took a photo of it and included the price tag.

Attachments

• pic00 (Large).jpg
    pic00 (Large).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 30
Tom, that could be true.  I know that I can't use the magnifier portion of the light I use for cutting wood pieces.  I am afraid it will distort the image enough that I would cut a finger.  I do like using the light portion , just not the magnifying portion.  I am going to start looking for the Ott light for the MH.  Ron, did you say they might carry them at Walmart or any of the other discount stores?  I think that would be so much better than just trying to paint with the light over the dinette.  Kay

Thanks Ron. I'll take a look at them next time I'm in WM. The price is right  ;D

Kay

I too love to paint I mainly do one stroke painting but I do some Maureen McNaughton style decorative painting as well. Painting with acrylics takes a lot of room and a lot to take along and I have so many brushes and double that in paint that I always take at least half of them with me. I bring limited amount of items to paint on for my trips such as metal water cans, bird houses, wooden trays, etc. I have been learning water color and have taken many differnt classes for the differnt techniques the easiest is Susan Scehee. I combine a little of her techniques into my water color. Water color takes up much much less room the decorative painting and the paint comes in small tubes and you need very few brushes. I also have a small water color journal that I take along with me now and when we are at places i pencil sketch in the journal jot down some information and if I dont have time then I go back and do the painting in water color. You could probably do this with acrylic but it would take longer for the paint to dry on the paper or you can try the papier paints by plaid.

Keep us posted on your painting.

Colleen FL

I use the head band type of magnifiers, with and without lights, from Harbor Freight. Less than $10 and I keep a few on hand..need them to do detailed woodburnings. I also do oil painting and the biggest problem is where to put the works as they are drying:) It gets to be a challenge, since most are 16X20's and I usually have about 9 going at once. The actual paints and related materials don't take up that much room.

Ooh! What a fun topic!

I do counted cross stitch and beading. When a WiFi hookup is available, surfing makes for fun. This summer we have our satelite dish with us, so i have been able to watch baseball.

Let's face it - when one is a crafter of most types, storage is usually a problem. I met a lady the other day who just began full-timing with her husband. They have sold their home and so she has given up a 9x12 ft craft room in her home for her 5th wheeler. Yikes! 

This is the first year we have had an extended trip in our RV after recently retiring. For the three months I brought 2 cross stitch projects - happy to admit I have finished 1 and am nearly done with #2. I used most of the beads I brought, and had to replace with some others. For short term trips, such as 3 mo or so, I think some planning is necessary to make it easier.

If I were a full-timer I would really need to think it through what I would want and need to take. I have a hard enough time with the short trips, if you know what I mean.

I have a spot by my chair where I can leave out my stitching, but I have to put my beading away by dinner, but I have devised a system where that isn't too bad.

I'm just glad I have fun things to do.

Best, BernerGran

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom