Cup style coffee makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Martian

Having found coffee makers with pods more convenient than a press for traveling, even tho more expensive, due to almost no cleanup. However, even using genuine pods from the machine manufacturer, it seems like between 30 and 50 percent of the water does not go through the pod and goes around the pod. The manufacturer replaced the unit three times and now says that this is perfectly normal.
Is anyone else having this issue or am I living in a strange coffee vortex?

Yes we are level. The home unit suffers from the same bad engineering and even though I have not leveled the house lately I will assume it is still fairly level.

When faced with the prospect of a very expensive battery and inverter upgrade to our old RV just to be able to run a goofy keurig at 6AM, I went through various iterations of coffee brands, types and methods making stovetop coffee for DW. They were all more or less successful, the takeaway was that there's nothing magic about the pods except the single serving aspect. One morning I made her coffee order and she commented this is good, what kind is it? Folgers instant. From that point on I haven't had to go through any more undue machinations and contortions to make coffee, just a kettle of hot water (which also supports my tea habit). I don't drink coffee so the concept of all the convoluted and obtuse processes and products surrounding it are lost to me, but would offer if I could placate the palate of a coffee snob with a teaspoon of instant and hot water, I would gravitate towards making my life simpler.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I used to be a coffee snob. When we moved off grid I had to switch to a more Amish style coffee, meaning a press. Cleanup is a pain…

One morning I made her coffee order and she commented this is good, what kind is it? Folgers instant.

In making tiramisu off grid I needed strong espresso as an ingredient. I tried instant espresso. Now I enjoy it as my joe for the day. Haven’t gone back. Boiling water in a cup and a spoon, that’s all for cleanup.

I get the pack of 3 small jars to keep it “fresh”:

reference: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PACLYU8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have never seen that.. What I have seen is mountains of used pods in land fills. Which is why I don't use one.. Well.. I have one but it's my choice of pod or filter and it's my "Backup" for when the big one dies..

Our transfer stations take the plastic cups as plastic to recycle and the grounds from inside goes to feed our garden. Not concerned about other methods but would like to know if anyone has had the same issue.

Having found coffee makers with pods more convenient than a press for traveling, even tho more expensive, due to almost no cleanup. However, even using genuine pods from the machine manufacturer, it seems like between 30 and 50 percent of the water does not go through the pod and goes around the pod. The manufacturer replaced the unit three times and now says that this is perfectly normal.
Is anyone else having this issue or am I living in a strange coffee vortex?

You are perhaps living in a strange coffee vortex. But I suppose it would depend on what kind of machine you are using.

I have never had the issue you are describing with pods. We have previously used a Keurig with name-brand pods (Starbucks, Caribou, etc) and do not get water except through the pod itself.

Now, I've had all sorts of results (mostly, poor) with single-serve additions to traditional coffee makers where they supply a "pod" you can reuse and pack with coffee. Everything from gritty coffee full of grounds to making a mess trying to assemble the dang thing has turned me away from single-serve additions to traditional coffee makers. I'll just brew a pot, it's easier.

The more I read about the problems people are having with the pod coffeemakers, the happier I am with our very basic Mr Coffee drip coffeemaker that only has an on/off switch. I make a full 12 cup pot as needed, and store the coffee in an insulated carafe that keeps it warm all day. The coffeemaker sits on our counter top in the RV, and is close enough to the sink that we use the sprayer to fill it. If we happen to be somewhere without power and don't want start our onboard generator, we just heat up a pan of water on the gas stove and pour it through the basket.

I have a Mr. Coffee for ordinary use and a press so I can simply heat some water and make a single cup. Have gone through two Keurigs over the years, they seem to last about a year or two, so they’re really just rentals and the pods are way too pricey for me.

I have a Mr. Coffee for ordinary use and a press so I can simply heat some water and make a single cup. Have gone through two Keurigs over the years, they seem to last about a year or two, so they’re really just rentals and the pods are way too pricey for me.
My main was a 4 cup I don't recall but when it failed I went to a 12 cup I think West Bend. I find my 24 oz cup takes 1 QT of cold water.. Set the timer. Go to bed. Wake up and smell the coffee

A regular Mr Coffee-type coffee maker, or a percolator is the simplest way to go. Got electricity...Mr Coffee. No electricity, fire up the stove and percolate.

I have never had the issue you are describing with pods.
Neither have I. I have never had any type of issue with my two Keurig K-50's (one at each house) Keurigs or the Pods. I really like the way they make my coffee very consistently the same every morning. And I bring one for my RV trips.

The only pods I use are Starbucks Dark Italian Roast.

One pod fills my 20 oz. HFT Tumbler by first using the large cup selection (ten oz) and then the medium selection (8 oz) after lifting up the thingy to put in another pod but withOUT another POD. Makes it perfect the way I like and exactly the same every time. Fills to 18 oz. so it gives me just enough room to put the lid on.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Last edited:
Neither have I. I have never had any type of issue with my two Keurig K-50's (one at each house) Keurigs or the Pods. I really like the way they make my coffee very consistently the same every morning. And I bring one for my RV trips.

The only pods I use are Starbucks Dark Italian Roast.

One pod fills my 20 oz. HFT Tumbler by first using the large cup selection (ten oz) and then the medium selection (8 oz) after lifting up the thingy to put in another pod but withOUT another POD. Makes it perfect the way I like and exactly the same every time. Fills to 18 oz. so it gives me just enough room to put the lid on.

-Don- Auburn, CA

For Keurig, I enjoy the Sbux Blonde roast. But we’ve had a box of their Holiday Blend around and it’s pretty good. The husband likes the Dark roast.

Caribou makes a good pod too, they are very popular in the Midwest. Husband calls it Moose Poop but I digress.

The Keurig makes enough coffee to leave about 1” for 2% milk in my cup. Perfect.

The Keurig makes enough coffee to leave about 1” for 2% milk in my cup. Perfect.
IMAO, perfect coffee has nothing other than coffee in it. Pure Italian Dark Roast of any brand will do, but I am normally stuck with StarBuck's as that is all I can usually find for Dark Italian Roast.

In Y2K, Tom & I went to London and they always put the garbage in their coffee unless you tell them not to in advance. When they didnt, I thought it was the best cofeee I ever tasted so I asked what it was. I was told it was Italian Roast and I have been hooked on it ever since.

I just found a Y2K photo of Tommy & me:

y2k.jpg

-Don- Auburn, CA

I enjoy grinding the beans (just do that outside;)) and have a 12 cup spacemaker that usually get two brews in the morning. No counter space is taken. The cost and plastic waste to brew that much coffee in pods each morning doesn't work for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_102458.jpg
    IMG_20200101_102458.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom