Cup style coffee makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoy grinding the beans
I used to grind my own beans also.

But I now prefer my one 18-0z cup from the one POD each morning. That's all the coffee I do all day, every day. One 18 oz cup made the exact same way every morning since I got my two Keurigs. Right when I first wake up, before breakfast. From either house or either RV. Every morning the same. Even if I am going to have breakfast at a restaurant, I have my coffee fix at home first.

-Don- Auburn, CA

My wife is the coffee drinker, not me. Some time ago she purchased a "Pour Over Coffee Maker" and has been using it ever since.

Add the coffee, boil water on the stove or in the microwave one cup at a time, and pour the water over the coffee. Make as many cups as you want or as few.

It's something very similar to this one:

Click here.

My brother had a Keurig and never had problems brewing pods but with the amount of coffee I drink it was a very expensive option.

I didn't have the power budget to run a drip coffee maker (the keep it hot element) so I bought a generic Walmart pod brewer. I exclusively used the ground coffee basket and loved it when I was living aboard.

Word to the wise - don't send the grounds down the RV sink. I eventually created a giant blockage on the grey tank valve. Kinda like a poo pile - LOL...

Word to the wise - don't send the grounds down the RV sink
Best thing to do with them is to mix them with more water and then water your plants with them. Good for indoor as well as outdoor plants.

But I only have the pods these days, so I just throw them in the garbage.

-Don- Auburn, CA

DonTom said:
IMAO, perfect coffee has nothing other than coffee in it.
-Don- Auburn, CA

-------

As I said, I'm not the coffee drinker, but I do enjoy making the coffee for my wife. I've done all sorts of things to add some "zing" to her's. After brewing, of course there are all the different flavored coffee creamers. Once those became old hat, I started doing some more "creative" things with her coffee.

Add a pinch of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, or a pinch of Caramel Syrup. Or drop in a couple Hershey's "Kisses" and melt them. Or use real Whipping Cream instead of creamers, half-and-half, or milk.

I've even added Ready-whip (spray can) as a topping, sprinkled with baker's chocolate shavings.

I've tried adding vanilla ice cream to it (almost like a root beer float). I've tried surprising her with ice-coffee.

Either she is just trying to make me feel better, or she really does like the variety, as she almost always says, "That's goooooood!"

She enjoys my creativity (I think), but in the end .... she still likes her coffee "black" only the best.

We’ve tried several methods of brewing coffee in the coach. The one we like best, have used longest, and currently use is Nespresso Virtua line. It’s a pod, single cup system that brews under 19 bars of pressure. The Virtua line can make either a small espresso cup or a full size cup. Both use pressure to extract the flavor and both make rich flavored, crema topped brew.

Coffee, one of the three liquid addicting drugs the population consumes daily. Soda and tea is right along side of it. But coffee brings out the pickiest people of the three liquid drugs.

Caffeine can create health issues in a similar way as cigarettes do, if you are true addicts. I see people buying energy drinks in bulk and depend on it.

I have tried name brand pod brewers and purchased the single cup brewers with similar results, partial cups and water running out of the top as with running out of the bottom of the water chamber on the bottom part of it. We took the time to contact Keurig [sp] and got the run around. Bed Bath and Beyond was useless for service.

So we are back to regular brewing and it takes no more time than it does to load the water and the pod, which was fairly expensive in my book for the single and a half cup that is our habit.

Of course our older inlaws when they were alive used the traditional percolator and boiled the heck out out of it to a point that we used to tell them to be careful when pouring, that it may plug up the spout, it was so thick. :oops: We probably could have undercoated the truck on the underside with it.

Last edited:
Well this is a good start. YMMV
Caffeine can have some unpleasant side effects for some but did not read anything about it causing a terrible disease and death.

I get your point but think the analogy between the two is a poor one. Numerous studies point to benefits of drinking coffee. None that I know of finding any benefit from smoking.

... moderate coffee intake—about 2–5 cups a day—is linked to a lower likelihood of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, liver and endometrial cancers, Parkinson's disease, and depression. It's even possible that people who drink coffee can reduce their risk of early death.

Caffeine can have some unpleasant side effects for some but did not read anything about it causing a terrible disease and death.

I get your point but think the analogy between the two is a poor one. Numerous studies point to benefits of drinking coffee. None that I know of finding any benefit from smoking.
Marijuana is reported to be very beneficial for some medical issues and can be used as a medical prescription of sorts. But recreational smoking, which is not always done for the same reason or total amounts is different and has its own harmful effects on your system and body parts, according to the NIH.

Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke is an irritant to the throat and lungs and can cause a heavy cough during use. It also contains levels of volatile chemicals and tar that are similar to tobacco smoke, raising concerns about risk for cancer and lung disease.67

There are some reported differences in terminal health issues related to pot smoking.

One complexity in comparing the lung-health risks of marijuana and tobacco concerns the very different ways the two substances are used. While people who smoke marijuana often inhale more deeply and hold the smoke in their lungs for a longer duration than is typical with cigarettes, marijuana’s effects last longer, so people who use marijuana may smoke less frequently than those who smoke cigarettes.

Of course smoking cigarettes, that has gotten all of the high profile coverage for years, has long been known to be harmful to any and all partakers of the habit.

For years we have witnessed serious health issues and deaths from highly caffeine energy drinks. So while there maybe some differences of the direction in the overall harmful affects of over consumption creating deaths when partaking several types of stimulants , the end result can be and is actually reportedly the same.

Being in the engineering world supporting the worldwide aviation industry we had lots of long hours and lots of pressure. Most of us were caffeine addicts - when we were allowed to have them most of us had personal pots on our desks. A good buddy of mine had a collapse and was advised to decaffeinate. He had underlying heart issues.

Unfortunately, despite decaffeinating he passed less than a year later due to heart failure.

I still drink a pot a day and recognize the effects. I can drink a cup of coffee in bed and fall asleep in minutes.

One has to accept the documented effects of caffeine and consider them carefully in the overall health equation and underlying conditions. Many people want to point to a singular "life factor" and determine that death is a single source issue - it almost never is in these cases.

And don't think I am pointing to the highlighted text below. Caffeine overdose requires much more than one could get through drinking coffee unless one was crazily dosing instant powders or something.

1704040283199.png

I can drink a cup of coffee in bed and fall asleep in minutes.
That's what Tommy used to say.

Then we went out to a Vietnamese restaurant where he drunk several cups of Vietnamese coffee. The type you make on your own table. He could not sleep for three days after that and never again claimed coffee didn't keep him awake.

My one cup of my 18. oz Italian roast that I am now having wakes me up fast. I can always feel when it takes effect.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Then we went out to a Vietnamese restaurant where he drunk several cups of Vietnamese coffee. The type you make on your own table. He could not sleep for three days after that and never again claimed coffee didn't keep him awake.

I love Vietnamese style coffee. I'll eat Pho, a couple of fresh veggie spring rolls, have a VN coffee, drive home and go to bed - LOL...

I will admit I have never had more than 2 at a setting...

Cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, or pot, inhaling anything into your lungs is bound to have a deleterious effect. I quit smoking 3.5 years ago, and it never bothered me from the beginning to be around anyone else smoking. And I refuse to be one of those former smoker anti-smoking Nazis who complain about others smoking around them. You can even come over to my place for a BBQ and smoke if you want...out on the deck. :cool:

In Keurigs the needle that pierces the pod is like a big hypodermic. The hot water only comes out the needle. There is another needle at the bottom.

I have three suggestions:
1. Push the pod down so that the bottom is completely pierced by the bottom needle.

2. Do not open the keurig after closing it. That breaks what little seal the top of the pod might have.

3. Try reusable pods. They aren't a big pain to clean and you can fine tune how strong your coffee is by varying the amount and type of grounds you put in.

I'm crazy enough to have disassembled a few keurigs to replace failed parts. They are not made to be repairable.

Back
Top Bottom