Dometic Fridge and Suburban Stove Top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ftroop82

I have a 2014 Dometic RV Fridge DM2652RBX that has been flawless since I bought the camper, but this weekend right before our trip when I switch from electric to propane it sounded like a flame thrower going off outside by the vent, when it switches to propane, in all the years have near heard it that loud. I switched it back to electric and it worked fine. The only thing I did was refill the main propane tanks. Not sure what's going on.

I'd say as loud as the hot water heater or a little louder. I have cleaned everything and it is still as loud, it's as if the propane has no regulator to control the propane flow

I had a service tech stop by and he seems to think it is the Fridges gas valve with the solenoid has gone bad, so I ordered a new fridge gas assembly. In the meantime my Suburban stove top does not seem to get any propane so I installed a new gas regulator for it and it still will not light, I can't hear or smell any gas coming out of the burners. It has propane up to the gas regulator, but not to the burners.

I have installed a new Fridge complete gas assembly which includes the regulator and burn tube. Nothing changed, still blows like a blow torch. I have installed a new stove gas regulator with no change. I'm at a lost, but at least the water heater works fine.

I would look into replacing the regulator at the tanks. There’s a way to test the pressure in the line as it exits the regulator and someone will be here soon to explain how to do it

I replaced the new regulator (6 months old) at the tanks with a different brand and new hoses, everything is working now. Thanks, didn't think the regulator would go bad that quick.

I replaced the new regulator (6 months old) at the tanks with a different brand and new hoses, everything is working now. Thanks, didn't think the regulator would go bad that quick.
Can you tell us what brand the bad one was? Possibly Flame King? or Winntec? Did it look like this.......... (possibly without the white cover on the lower part?

fetch

The symptoms you described are exactly what this regulator does and why it was recalled (at least the Winntec version of it). If yours is a Flame King or another brand, but the same regulator visually, it should be reported to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Here is the thread on the recall of the Winntec units. Massive propane regulator recall

Charles

Glad you got it solved. I was going to suggest the main regulator and note the recall....Too late.

Off subject but some info for the OP and others who have Dometic fridges ending in three letters with an X on the end: The DM2652 "RBX" fridge....The RBX, and others ending in _ _ X, are meaningful. Dometic moved a plant or established a new plant. During the time that the Dometic cooling unit plant was shut down they contracted the cooling units to be built offshore (Japan and Germany I think). Those are nonstandard cooling units and do not have a frame around the outside and look different. Because of that the cooling unit replacement companies do not want the old cooling unit returned and do not charge you a refundable core charge. It is important to order the DM2652 "DRX" cooling unit and not the basic DM2652 cooling unit. Cooling unit suppliers advertise that the replacement for the DRX will look different but will fit fine. That is "almost" true. The unit you take out has no frame, the new unit has a frame. The job is fairly easy IF you are handy with tools and drilling and can follow instructions closely. The instructions leave a little to be desired so you have to figure out a few things.

Also, replacement of the cooling unit is documented in the RVfixer thread Fridge questions which I considered detailed enough to copy the entire thread and save it as a word document.

I suggested filing a report with the Consumer Products Safety Commission because the defective regulator was apparently a replacement unit. It is a fire hazard and needs to be reported. Also, the high gas pressure can cause damage to the secondary regulator installed in the Suburban stove.

Charles

Can you tell us what brand the bad one was? Possibly Flame King? or Winntec? Did it look like this.......... (possibly without the white cover on the lower part?

fetch

The symptoms you described are exactly what this regulator does and why it was recalled (at least the Winntec version of it). If yours is a Flame King or another brand, but the same regulator visually, it should be reported to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Here is the thread on the recall of the Winntec units. Massive propane regulator recall

Yes, it looked just like the one you show in the picture. Not sure of the brand, I tossed the whole assembly with hoses in the trash.

Back
Top Bottom