DPs on a Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ours didn't have the best smell, had been shut up for a long time.  We bought it anyway.  I opened all the windows, cleaned and vacuumed it all good.  Went over the leather couch and seats with leather cleaner then got rid of the mattress.  I cleaned it and it was good but the mattress was the original , so very old but just couldn't bring myself to use it. 

The I use odor eliminator I get at a janitorial supply all over the carpet and any cushioned seats and the odor cleared up, I use it on any rentals or TT's that have carpet, that is generally where the odor resides.  Also washed the front heavy drapes and that really improved the smell, not sure they had ever been washed. It took a couple of months but now you walk in and it smells clean and fresh.  Yes, I would prefer one with no odor but I wouldn't totally eliminate the coach because of the smell either.

Now if it was the smell of rot and mildew yes, I would walk away.

Pet smells can be pretty bad too.  I walk away from those because you sometimes cannot eliminate them, especially if the critter has urinated and it has seeped into the underlaying wood under the carpet.  In a case like that, replacing the carpet may not do the trick.

ArdraF

A somewhat musty smell is pretty common in an rv that has been closed up for a spell, so you have to educate our nose a bit into what can be flushed out with fresh air and deodorizer vs pet smells and wet/mildew smell.

I bought a 1999 American Tradition for low $40K - it needed some minor cosmetic TLC - nothing major. I bought this as I think the IFS Spartan Chassis is great but more over - the factory support and parts for this age coach cannot be beaten - wiring diagrams etc - phone support from really knowledgeable people just cannot be beaten.
The coach is very well built and to top it all we loved the floor-plan and style.

Stephen

Stephen-

There are a couple American Traditions on line right now for mid 40s that look very nice.  You and Dan both give a ringing endorsement of American Coach.  I'll keep my eye out for American coaches when it's time to shop for real this fall.

The 1996-2000 American Traditions were solid coaches. The next steps up, the American Dream and American Eagles of those same years, are widely considered to be classics.

I just find myself biting my tongue when I remember the topic and the $2400 hydraulic pump I replaced on the old Tradewinds.

Here are a couple of places that sometimes have great deals.

http://www.crankyape.com/

http://www.qualitymotorcoach.com/

http://www.karolinakoaches.com/

I've been looking at CrankyApe consistently for the past few months.  They sell bank repos and a few consignments.  The repo coaches are generally selling for approximately 15 - 25% off low retail.  The consignments usually sell for close to low retail.  Up until this past week, the repos and consignments have been clearly indicated as such.  However, when I checked this past week ownership is not mentioned.  My initial thought is that not knowing the ownership status places the buyer at a disadvantage.  Not sure if this was an oversight on their part and if not what their rationale was for making the change. 

I did a little looking around before I bought mine, I got a 1986 Chieftan Winnebago for several reasons. I am a mechanic so repairs on a gasser would be too easy, the cost of the maintenance. I do not plan on going more than about 4 hundrend miles from home with this motorhome, No fancy pumps or gadgets to break, needs some but nothing major on repairs and updating. I figure how much I got it for plus put into it, for the amount of time I will be able to use it- It's a win-win for me.

I the wife and kiddo enjoy the trips and then when I retire, an upgrade will be in order. I figure 2 trips to the beach and we can take the furry kids too, then they will be hooked. Probibly be looking into what you are a nice upper end gas or pusher with at least 2 slides.

Regarding PPL, something to remember, PPL will ONLY clean the interior of the coach if the owner's pay for the service.  Once the RV's are on the lot and opened to the public, they get walked thru constantly and do not get cleaned again unless the owners come out and do it.  Pay attention to the difference between surface dirt and stains/odors which can be harder to clean. 
Good luck with your search.  (BTW, I agree with the reviews of American Coach, well built, nice coach)

zzyzx said:
There are diesel Bounders.

http://fleetwoodrv.com/bounderclassicdsl
Correct me if I am wrong but the Bounder is a front driven Diesel not a DP.  The Cummins engine in it is a powerfull puller and with the Alison trans I would have liked to have found one when I was looking.

Yep.  I've got a friend with a 2001 Bounder pusher.  They may look a little like a FRED, because on the early models the entry door is midship, like on a gas coach.  That's my biggest beef with the Bounder DPs.  I think it's a more efficient use of space when the door is in front of the passenger seat.  That way, you can usually put a sofa or love seat behind the passenger seat.

I think around 2004, the Bounder DPs switched to the more conventional door location, which the other Fleetwood DPs already used.

For bigger people such as myself, I like the door behind the seat or mid ships.  I have yet to find a DP that has a decent wide door to enter with.

Back
Top Bottom