DPs on a Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mentioned this in another thread on the topic of "wives shopping for RVs," but thought I'd update you on this thread.  I think we might have found what we are looking for locally in this ad: http://quadcities.craigslist.org/rvs/3121156744.html.

My wife's been to look at it and really likes it. The floor plan is pretty close to our ideal, it's at the bottom end of the budget, it's nicely renovated and has all new Michelins.  Seems like it will be a good fit for us first timers. My brother will be inspecting and driving it in the next few days

Ok, the Mrs. and the brother test drove the Horizon today. It generally went well, but leaves me with a couple of questions.

1) Air suspension. She said they started it from cold and drove out of the seller's neighborhood, which was very hilly.  After they had driven a few blocks and were on level ground, they had to stop for 15 seconds or so to let the air suspension fully inflate to level out. Is that a problem?  After that no difficulty.

2) Stove.  Igniters would spark but stove wouldn't light. Seller seemed to think that all gas valves were turned on but wasn't sure. Is that something that would be challenging to diagnose and repair?  I wouldn't think it would.

3) We still want to have an independent rv inspector inspect it. How do we find one?  It is the Moline,IL/ Davenport IA area.

Thanks, all.

Ok, quick update on the air suspension question. I talked to my brother who had a more accurate description.  When they started out, the seller was driving and the coach had been parked on uneven ground.  Seller was driving to start out. After he had gone about a half a block, he didn't think the suspension felt right so he stopped, dumped the air and filled it back up and then took off again. Everything was fine after that.

Sounds like something minor or nothing at all on the suspension. Could be it was sitting unlevel. As for the LP, sounds like a valve was closed or the tank could be empty, air in the line??  If they go back have them check the LP level on the indicator panel.

It still looks like a good deal to me.

Most of the time after my unit sit awhile it take several try's to get the air out of the gas lines to get things lit. But even if that's not it, I can't see that there would be anything bad enough wrong to be a deal killer. Sounds like you have a winner!!!

Air suspension: Could be a sticky valve prevented the suspension form airing up properly. That can happen, especially in a coach that sits a lot. May well work ok with further exercise, but not an expensive repair is a valve needs to be replaced.

Stove: Probably just air in the lines from lack of use. Rarely an ongoing problem - the gas piping system is very simple. 

Thanks guys.  We struck a deal, contingent on an inspection of mechanicals at the local Freightliner shop. 

Now I just have to endure 70 more days in the sandbox before I get to see my new RV.  ;D. Planning my first camping trip for the first weekend back.

...and this is now going to be the hardest 70 days of your current deployment...  ;D

Alfa38User said:
...and this is now going to be the hardest 70 days of your current deployment...  ;D

Yeah, especially since my primary means of recreation has been shopping for RVs.  ;D  I'll have to shift gears and move on to accessories.

jagnweiner said:
Yeah, especially since my primary means of recreation has been shopping for RVs.  ;D  I'll have to shift gears and move on to accessories.

X2.  I know exactly what you mean.  Checking the Internet for RV's has taken over my life. 

Congratulations on the RV.  I hope it works out for you.  Based on my search, the advertised price looked good. 

Thanks Gary.  We knocked a few K more off the asking price.  I was reminded again why I'm glad my wife convinced me to wait until we could pay cash, when the seller told me our sale price was $200 more than he owed on it.  Been in that position before and don't want to go there again.

Scott:
  IMHO you won't be sorry going with a Winnebago product.  I owned a Minne Winne class C for 15 years with nary a problem.  I now have a 2005 Journey 34' DP and we haven't had any significant issues in the year we've owned it.  They make a good product.  Hope you enjoy it to your fullest dreams!  Thanks for your service!

Steve

That's awesome Scott,
I am jealous but happy for you. You got yourself a beautiful rig. 

Just got word that the chassis inspection is over and everything went well. A few very minor items and the seller will pay to have them done. He has been wonderful to deal with.  Looks like we'll be rv owners in a few days.

Well Scott,
Any update on getting the new ride???  We can almost count the weeks left here on one hand !!!!

Chief-

Yes, the end is in sight.  :). For both of us. We actually haven't taken delivery yet. The coach spent last week at the Freightliner shop. I had it taken there for a prepurchase mechanical inspection and they found some minor things but it otherwise checked out well. The seller volunteered to have FL fix one of the things, a leaking oil filter gasket, and order a couple other parts that he was going to replace himself. I saw the estimate and it was about $300.  They gave him the runaround and weren't getting the work done. When they finally did it and he went to pick it up, they told him they had to replace the whole oil filter housing for $1200, but they hadn't gotten authorization from him. They said they couldn't show him the broken part because they had to "turn it in" whatever that means.

Needless to say, he was upset. He ended up talking to the mgr a few days later and I wrote a nasty lawyer email as well. He ended up getting it for the original estimate.

Meanwhile, my wife's dad is in critical condition in the hospital so she hasn't been able to pick it up. We've paid for it, but don't have it yet. I'm actually going back on emergency leave early tomorrow morning, so I will pick it up this weekend. Ill give a full report.

Scott,
Sorry to hear about your father in-Law, I lost mine last May, still miss that guy really bad. Lost my Grand Father last weekend. Be safe on the Emergency leave. Getting from Afghan to the states is a horid trip just in itself.  It does sound a little fishy on the oil filter deal.  Glad to hear the law letter set them straight. Take care fo your family and we will be here when you get done taking care of that.

God Speed

Chief-

Made it home late Saturday, after 4 days of travel/delay.  Father in law is doing better.  He had a leg amputated, but made it through the surgery OK, which was a big concern.  He was very surprised and glad to see me (as was the rest of the family).

Picked up the coach yesterday.  Boy, it's fun to drive!  Rides like a dream (a somewhat rattly dream on rough roads).  Really pleased with the condition of the coach so far.

I've developed two slight problems, which i will post in a new thread for advice.  First, the instrument panel will occasionally "freeze" while driving, where the gauges lock in place.  They seem to reset themselves when the ignition is turned off.  Second problem I hope just required some more study.  I took the coach to the property where I am storing it and decided I would try out the leveling jacks.  I hadn't read any instructions, so I kind of just started pressing buttons.  I managed to get the jacks partway extended and can't get them to retract.  I've printed up a manual, so I will go back and see what I can figure out. 

All in all, very pleased and can't wait until I come home for good to take our first camping trip. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom