email recommendations please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joelmyer

We've been using NetIdentity but they've been sold and have gone to s*&^

So I had an email address like [email protected]

I could access it from any 'puter anywhere, or have it appear in outlook

Didn't change when I changed isps.

Recommendations for a replacement?

Joel

Joel,

Some folks here use gmail and are happy with it. It's free and accessible from anywhere.

Because we need an ISP in two places and did not want to constantly change email address, yet avoid annoying ads and spam in free email services I chose GoDaddy where I now have my own domain and personal email service.  The email is accessible using webmail or POP3 so you can use any email client such as Outlook Express etc.

The cost of GoDaddy is about $30 per year and gives you 200 email accounts.

BTW many free email services like Hotmail and AOL have instituted very aggressive spam filters that will block desired mail from forums and some vendors.

joelmyer said:

Joel

Go to Godaddy.com and get your own domain as Steve mentioned.  Very reasonable cost.  Or use Gmail or an Escapees email.

Yes, keep in mind free has a price:) Some places won't let you sign up with a hotmail ( example) account because of the anonymity and resultant SPAM possibilities  ;) Also there is limited storage for emails. The free accounts are usually accessible from anywhere. Not aware of the filters blocking forums. Personally I use my ISP and associated email accounts and stay away from the free ones...unless I have to sign up for something on the web ( that is odd) that needs an email address ;D

www.inbox.com

Works great, it's free, web based, you can store photos on it, and keep a calendar there too.  Has a spam flagging white and black list, etc..

I, too, recommend GoDaddy for both email and web site hosting.  Domain name registration is very inexpensive, and email with or without web hosting is also very low cost.  I would avoid Hotmail and Yahoo and the like as there are many online vendors that won't accept email addresses from those places for online purchases and as also mentioned, they are often filtered out by the spam filters.  Gmail seems to be the best of the free email providers and much more acceptable than the others.  But the best solution is a hosting service like GoDaddy.  Once you have your own domain (we own nedreiter.com for instance) you can take your email and/or web site any where, and not rely on a single ISP.

Hello all. I'm Joel's son and family IT guy. Currently I've registered joelmyers.net and provide the website hosting for his site. But email is a whole other headache to set up and administer, so I've been relying on NetIdentity for a long time for our email addresses.  Like my dad says, they've $ha+ the bed and we're looking for alternatives. Thank you all for your input, it has been helpful (e.g., I didn't realize godaddy provided free email when you register through them).

Google currently has a free offering "google for domains" that acts as the MX for a domain and lets you create up to 25 email accounts (and it looks like unlimited nicknames per account) using the gmail interface.  I'm toying with it for patrick at patrickmyers dot net, so I might move everyone to <name>@<name>myers.net and use that. It's free for now (in beta), but it does leave us the option of moving to godaddy if we decide we don't like google's offering. I'm certainly not opposed to paying for a quality service.

Thank you again for your input.

Patrick, aka Joel's son

GoDaddy email isn't free, but is offered as a standalone package, or included with their web hosting programs.  I wasn't aware of the Google for Domains program, I'll have to get familiar with that.  Thanks for the info.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

joelmyer said:

Joel

Howdy, Joe.
As we are members of Escapees, we use their email service.  Pretty good.

Liz
Currently at Lone Star Corral in Hondo, TX

If you don't mine @yahoo.com or @gmail.com they are good isp-independent mail services.

My E-mail is really @yahoo, but if you see yahoo in my e-dress it means I'm concerned you might be a spammer.

Yahoo offers fifty disposable addresses (mine are [email protected], What fills the blank depends on the place I"m e-mailing)

(What it is canned? Spam of course, if I sign up for something with oh, say canit29-ada, and suddenly ada starts getting 100 spam per day, ada goes away (NOTE not one of my current addys) and the spams bounce

In addition Yahoo has good spam filters and other filters that help to protect me from both spam and mal-ware (Virus etc)

G-Mail offers the same features from what I understand.  You can access web mail from any computer on any isp on any platform anywhere you can connect to the net

Another option is a mail reflector.  The address you are most likely to see for me has no pop server or web mail server, it's a refelector, I change ISP's I log in, feed it the protocol (User/pass) and tell it my new addy, off the mail goes to the new place.

The particular reflector I use is a club I belong to so when my membership expieres they will cancel my account.

One person mentioned to me "If you are just a couple weeks late with that membership payment they close you down"

Well... I have not paid them membership fees since 1975 (Had to look it up last may) and they have not terminated my life membership yet :)

Back
Top Bottom