Exhaust Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambler28

My tow vehicle is a Ford diesel 7.3 and I tow a 28' 5th wheel.  Does anybody have recommendation for a good exhaust brake

All exhaust brakes work the same way, shutting off the exhaust before after the turbo.  The Jacobs Extarder and the Pacbrake are both popular choices.  Either one will work if it fits your engine exhaust system.

There is a couple of companies that sell an add on to your PCM that will change the EBPV to an exhaust brake.  It is a cheaper option but only works when the vehicle is above a certain RPM range.  I had one on my truck when I bought it used but I don't have a lot of hills where I am on the prairies so I removed it.  I never really tested it either so can't tell you if it works or not.

I don't think Jacobs offers a exhaust brake for the PSD per Fords request.  Or they did with the 6.0 anyway. Check with them.

I have the Jacobs on my '03 Cummins. Works great and has been flawless. The EB cuts cold morning warm up time in half. The Jacobs operates on vaccum which requires a pump to be added and a longer serpintine belt. The others use air pressure from a electric air pump which is handy for other uses.

If I had a used diesel and was looking at EB's I would look hard at the Pacbrake PRXB.  The valving they use allows more braking power in the 1600-2000 rpm than competitors. However they all have around 180 hp for braking at max rpm.

Pacbrake or B D performance/Banks or Jacobs.  Looks at their webs and ask them questions.

I have a DP tuner chip in my 7.3 for pulling my big fifth wheel and one of the tunes is a what he calls a exhaust brake.What it does is it closes off the EBV(exhaust back pressure valve) that is used to warm up the diesel when it is cold and in turn it acts like a exhaust brake.The chip with the different programs runs any where from say $300 on up.I can pull my flat bed trailer 20ft with my tractor on it and get 18mpg.I pulled my 30ft race car trailer to florida to move my parents down there and the trailer was so full i couldnt put my harley in it and even with weight distribution hitch i was still on the helper springs.I ran 65 to 80mph and averaged 13.2mpg.So im not sure what you have done to your 7.3 but you may want to talk to Jody at Dp-tuner.The exhaust brake is really nice in his program

I installed US Gear exhaust brakes on a couple of different Dodge Cummins and loved them.  They worked well and aren't real expensive.  I will never pull a load in the mountains without an exhaust brake.  My 2010 2500 Dodge has a factory exhaust brake.

I have to part company with Ned on this one, most turbo's are mounted on the exhaust manifold and driven by the exhaust pressures, in turn the exhaust brake is mounted between the turbo and the exhaust pipe and muffler, therefore its AFTER the turbo, not before. (But then Ford does strange things ).>>>Dan

You're correct, I had a slip of the fingers when I wrote before.  Thanks, original message corrected.

Exhaust Brake, is this the same as a "JAKE" brake?  And I thought the brakes worked by keeping the exhaust valve shut during braking, am I confused?  :-\

A Jake (Jacobs engine) brake works differently than an exhaust brake, but they achieve the same goal. The Jake uses the exhaust valves in the engine block, whereas an exhaust brake blocks the exhaust manifold and reduces exhaust outflow.

It's a bit more complex than that, since the Jake brake actually works by opening the exhaust valve at the appropriate moment rather than just closing it off, but the superficial difference is location.

Gary,

To add to the confusion my exhaust brake in made by "Jacobs" and is usually refered to as a "Jake" brake.  It is not a TRUE "Jake" brake as you have indicated.

Jim, I thought Jacobs called that an 'extarder' (?)

Extarder is the model name, but it is made by Jacobs.

It's not important that the "Jake" moniker be technically accurate. I notice that even the Jacobs Brake website has gone with the vernacular and now uses "Jake Brake" to cover a variety of products, both engine and exhaust brakes, and also as the website title. When you've got a widely recognized brand name, why not use it?

http://www.jakebrake.com/products/

We have a B-D exhaust brake on our old Luxor. I recommend checking its operation periodically to ensure it is not hanging up. Ours has done this twice in the past year. It will give you a pucker factor of 8.5. no acceleration and just enough power to crawl to an exit. While you're there might as well check the waste gate on the turbo, our had been hung open since we got her

Like any mechanical part, exhaust brakes need occasional maintenance, especially lubrication. As catblaster says, they will eventually malfunction, typically locking up so you get no turbo boost.

R28; To answer your question, there are a number of brands and trypes of Exhaust Brakes on the market. To be sure, if you are pulling a good size trailer in the mountains, you need an Exhaust Brake on your truck.
Over the years, on a number of trucks, pulling both heavy farm trailers and our 5th Wheel trailers, I have used three different brands of Exhaust Brakes. From my own experience I have settled on the Banks Brake, the one I now use. It actually increases the power slightly, does a fine job of engine braking and requires no maintenance. The Banks is slightly different design than other Exhaust Brakes, but all are useful.
As mentioned above, the Jacobs Engine Brake (Jake Brake) is a different system and the one we use on our heavy trucks.

Back
Top Bottom