Flat screen TV mounted to ceiling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChinMusic

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Posts
113
Location
Rochester, IL
The new large flat screen TVs are light enough to mount to the ceiling, and with the help of an articulated arm, rotated as needed.  I use them at my office and have one in the bedroom at home.

My question is: "Would this work in a MH?" 

I'm not sure of the construction of the ceilings in a MH or if the vibrations/bumps during motion would cause a problem.  I would like to explore this as a possibility instead of having a TV mounted in the corner of the bedroom.  I envision the TV being pulled down into position when in use and pushed back up to the ceiling when not in use.

Comments?
 

Jeff

Site Team
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Posts
8,965
Location
SD/AZ
Don't know what model RV you have but the manufacturer should be able to tell you if there are stringers that will carry the load and how many you should spread it over.

Some RV's have TVs mounted to ceiling but I am not sure how.
 

ChinMusic

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Posts
113
Location
Rochester, IL
Jeff - I don't have an RV yet.  I'm in the information gathering stage.  With the space-conscious designs in RVs, I would think the ceiling mounts would be popular as it would free up a bit of storage space.  I was wondering if there was some contraindication from mounting a TV in this way.  I would think some sort of strap to prevent movement while driving would do.
 

Jeff

Site Team
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Posts
8,965
Location
SD/AZ
Our ceiling is a light material not suitable for carrying that kind of load but there are stringers across the roof that possibley could if they were located through the insulation, etc.
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
ChinMusic said:
The new large flat screen TVs are light enough to mount to the ceiling, and with the help of an articulated arm, rotated as needed.  I use them at my office and have one in the bedroom at home.

My question is: "Would this work in a MH?" 

I'm not sure of the construction of the ceilings in a MH or if the vibrations/bumps during motion would cause a problem.  I would like to explore this as a possibility instead of having a TV mounted in the corner of the bedroom.  I envision the TV being pulled down into position when in use and pushed back up to the ceiling when not in use.

Comments?

About 3 or 4 years ago many highline coach manufacturers were mounting the 48" plasma screen TVs in the ceiling. The coach was designed for it so the supports were there. They found out that plasma screens don't like being horizontal. I believe when they are shipped they are in a vertical box and are not to be placed horizonally. I don't believe any coach is built today with the ceiling mounted screen.

I don't know if the same applies to an LCD screen. We had one installed in our coach but it's on a vertical lift so it comes up from inside a cabinet.
 

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
5,154
Location
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Jim,

Now a serious reply. I can't say for sure, but the thinly layered construction of an LCD screen makes it quite light in weight but, by the same token, I question whether it had the rigidity to prevent bowing near the center of the screen if it were to be in a horizontal plane. That could lead to permanent color distortion; just like if you push on the screen with your finger.
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
Karl said:
Jim,Same problem - the pixels will fall out ;D  ...and you know what a mess they are to clean up!

Just like a radio antenna that has lost the little ball at the end. All the electrons fall out!! ;D Yep, pixels are tough to capture
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
Karl said:
Jim,

Now a serious reply. I can't say for sure, but the thinly layered construction of an LCD screen makes it quite light in weight but, by the same token, I question whether it had the rigidity to prevent bowing near the center of the screen if it were to be in a horizontal plane. That could lead to permanent color distortion; just like if you push on the screen with your finger.

Karl,

Lets think about this. Laptop computers are LCD screens. They spend much of their time in the horizontal position. Perhaps permanent bowing isn't a problem. Now my LCD TV has a glass front on it. Wonder if that would make a difference??
 

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
5,154
Location
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Jim,
Just like a radio antenna that has lost the little ball at the end. All the electrons fall out!!
Don't you just hate it when that happens?

But he's talking about a LARGE flat screen t.v. - considerably more area (unsupported weight?) far from the edges. Glass would certainly help. May not be a problem at all, but just thought I'd mention it. But definitely NOT PLASMA!
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
Karl said:
Jim,Don't you just hate it when that happens?

But he's talking about a LARGE flat screen t.v. - considerably more area (unsupported weight?) far from the edges. Glass would certainly help. May not be a problem at all, but just thought I'd mention it. But definitely NOT PLASMA!

Yes I do hate that. Hard to gather them up and stuff them back down that wire. ;D

It's a good thing to mention as it is a potential problem. I haven't seen any of the new coaches to see if they are installing the LCD in a horizontal position. I know Country Coach went from plasma to projection with a pull down screen which I thought was ridiculous. If there's any breeze at all the picture would be unwatchable and projection has never been as good as a TV.
 

wmaw98

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Posts
8
This may be an option for you.? Here is a picture of my 32" LCD that I put in my motorhome.? It is actually lighter than the old 20" tube type that I took out.
WW
 

Attachments

  • DSCN7378_resize.JPG
    DSCN7378_resize.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 95

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
Hi WW,

Several members have removed their old 20" tube set and installed LCDs. As you mentioned it saves on weight and looks better. Attached is what we had done in our American Dream.
 

Attachments

  • New Cabinet.JPG
    New Cabinet.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 105
  • New TV.JPG
    New TV.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 102

wmaw98

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Posts
8
Hi Jim
That's a nice install.  Your coach must be a d.p. with all that room up front.
WW
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
wmaw98 said:
Hi Jim
That's a nice install.  Your coach must be a d.p. with all that room up front.
WW

Thanks. Davis Cabinets in Junction City, OR did the work. It's the best place I've found for RV modifications. Great people.

Yes, it is a DP. :)The original TV sat in a cabinet on the floor and the same lift brought it to viewing height but it was open in front so you could actually watch it while on the floor. An advantage sometimes. :) I always liked that design. I had another coach with the TV overhead and many times hit my head or shoulder when entering or exiting the coach. There's no reason for that anymore with all the new flat screens available.
 

JD & Mert

Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Posts
10
Location
Western Washington
Jim, I like your setup for the tv. What is the lift mechanism.  I am thinking of modifying the bedroom cabinet in my 5er to do the same.  I have asked several sales people and emailed a couple of manufacturers of LCD and Plasma.  For the most part if they have any advice at all is not to mount or store them lying down.  Still trying to find the best one to take the vibration of travel and would appreciate any information anyone has on that. 

By the way, Pixels are best cleaned up with a pixel brush...Camping world is out of them though.  Same with electron brushes...  apparently a large demand. ;D
 

Jackliz

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Posts
1,287
Location
Hondo, TX
Karl said:
Jim,Same problem - the pixels will fall out ;D  ...and you know what a mess they are to clean up!

LOL!!!!    ;D    ;D    ;D 

Regards,
Jack Pearce
 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
JD & Mert said:
Jim, I like your setup for the tv. What is the lift mechanism.  I am thinking of modifying the bedroom cabinet in my 5er to do the same.  I have asked several sales people and emailed a couple of manufacturers of LCD and Plasma.  For the most part if they have any advice at all is not to mount or store them lying down.  Still trying to find the best one to take the vibration of travel and would appreciate any information anyone has on that. 

By the way, Pixels are best cleaned up with a pixel brush...Camping world is out of them though.  Same with electron brushes...  apparently a large demand. ;D

The mechanism is the original provided by American Coach. It was modified in width and depth to accommodate the new TV. There are many lifts available but they are extremely expensive. It was a lot less expensive to have Davis Cabinets modify the original.

I'm not sure what effect placing an LCD on the horizontal will have but do know the plasma screens don't like it. Country Coach used to install the plasma horizontally in the ceiling. The last time I looked at one of them they were using a projection TV with pull down screen. I would guess they have gone to the larger LCD by now.
 

ArdraF

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Posts
10,674
JD and Mert,

Some others have mentioned not wanting a plasma TV in a motorhome, but not the reason.  They have more problems at higher elevations, they put out a great deal of heat, and they often are put in an area that becomes either a head or shoulder banger.  I think most of the RV manufactureres who used them have switched from plasmas to LCDs.  The heat is a big problem if the TV is in the front of the motorhome where the huge windshield and other windows just naturally make it more difficult to cool and the additonal heat put out by a plasma TV can make it pretty uncomfortable.  This is especially evident in the summer and for those who spend a lot of time in the desert.  Of course, if you're primarily in a cooler climate then you can use the plasma TV as an additional heating source!  ;D

ArdraF

 

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Posts
7,651
Location
Titusville, FL
Ardra,

Head banging is one of the reasons we chose the Dream. It's so nice to walk into a coach without hitting my head or shoulder!! ;D I also prefer the viewing height of our TV compared to the other coaches we had previously.
 
Top Bottom