Freeway phobias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Hi Tom:

>> Just remembered that I usually drive with prescription shades. As you see from my avatar, even when I'm not wearing shades, I'm wearing photochromatic (aka photo grey) lenses and have done for many years. Either of these might affect the "light" when I suddenly enter the confines of a booth.
====
Just found this thread and have found it very interesting. Have thought of starting a thread on a few of my "freeway phobias" to see if others share any of them. However, trouble with a toll booth has never been one of them. Would my '98 Tioga Class C 450 be that much narrower than your Monaco? Perhaps the perception of the van front end makes the difference. I have never had a second thought about a toll booth. Actually, most of my experience has been with border crossings plus the toll booths in the Bay area.

The dark shades sound like a reasonable explanation. Sometimes if I am wearing sunglasses on a very bright day -- and then enter a tunnel, I will get an uncomfortable feeling. There's a tunnel in Phoenix on I10 close to the I17 intersection that threw me the last time I drove that road. However, I picked someone up at the airport at night, and it didn't bother me at all. Of course, if you wore regular glasses, you wouldn't look as cool 8).

My biggie's are high drop offs with no guard rails and getting stuck between two 18 wheelers approaching a busy freeway interchange. I also don't like driving through city freeways the first time. I'm a solo driver and get nervous that I may be in the wrong lane and wind up in Utah.

BTW, FWIW to those driving Reno to Sacramento. If is very easy to drive through Truckee and avoid the bug station. Just take the first exit before the inspection booths and return the next after. They are such a joke it's pathetic. We should move them all down to the Mexican border.

Thanks for the comments Bob and thanks for the tip re the Truckee inspection station. OTOH when we come through they see the CA plates, ask if we're from the CA side, we say "yes" and they say "OK".

BTW Bob, as you can see, picking up on your comment, I split "freeway phobias" off as a new topic. Hopefully others will join in with their own phobias.

That tunnel in Phoenix is and always has been a bother to me, too, Bob. If I'm wearing sunglasses, I remove them immediately. The tunnel is, I believe, underlit for the bright sunlight conditions that are usual to the Phoenix area.

I think that the barracades that are usual to road construction in California are set too close to the right curb lanes. When I see a detour ahead, it makes me nervous. I've never scraped them, but it's unnerving to see them snaking left or right as you approach a detour and traffic isn't slowing.

It's also my impression that toll booths have steel posts set 10'2" apart as you glide through hoping your steps aren't extended. I guess that's just a phobia of mine.

And yes, I'm always mindful of overpass height, imagining there's only inches to spare, even though I've never seen one yet that's not at least 12'6"

Bob,

And yes, I'm always mindful of overpass height, imagining there's only inches to spare, even though I've never seen one yet that's not at least 12'6"

Reminds me of the old joke:

Truck driver misjudges clearance of an overpass and gets caught beneath it. State Patrol rolls up and says griningly "Got 'er stuck huh?" The driver replies "Nope, just delivering this new bridge and ran out of gas."

Hi Bob,

No guard rails and 18 wheelers certainly are a concern for many of us. I remember one time, before the RV, we had a conversion van. We were going between I95 and I81 in VA. The road was winding and two lanes. The 18 wheeler in front was doing about 60 and the one behind me wanted to do 80. The van was non power steering. I was a wreck when we got through. Swore I'd never take that route again! ;D

SPIII can help with the cities. I stay at least two lanes from the right as most of the time they disappear. Estelle guides me through and tells me when to move right.

Not crazy about tunnels, and I did the Chesapeake Bay this week returning from VA Beach.  I like the whole experience, but they were changing bulbs in one of the tunnels, so a section of 1 lane.  Had to stop for about 5 minutes.  That is the part of tunnels I don't like, being stopped.  Not claustrophbic in any other situation, but have read many books where tunnels play a part. 

I do like the new EZ Pass toll lanes where you go thru at 60!  Wave to the folks in line to drop their quarters.

Bob McNabb said:
And yes, I'm always mindful of overpass height,

That's certainly one of mine too Bob. All too often we come around a corner and it's right there, not enough time to read the sign because I'm focusing on the hole itself.

One of my freeway phobias is when they put those temporary concrete barriers right on the white line or even inside your lane. Where it's legal, I'll switch lanes, but sometimes there's only two lanes and both have the barriers.

Tom said:
BTW Bob, as you can see, picking up on your comment, I split "freeway phobias" off as a new topic. Hopefully others will join in with their own phobias.

Thanks, Tom. Phobias are sometimes not easy to admit -- and there are many more drivers that have them than we think. Was amazed when I googled the words and found so much info on the subject. I can remember when I first started my career in Denver with the Bureau of Reclamation in the early 60's and then on to Sacramento. In those days, driving cross country (in my case to and from Kentucky) was not a chore. Now, we have some of the most complex freeway systems in the world and driving a 30-40' rig plus toad can add a few gremlins to one's head at times.

>> SPIII can help with the cities. I stay at least two lanes from the right as most of the time they disappear. Estelle guides me through and tells me when to move right.

Was once boxed in by 4, 18 wheelers -- and had no place to go. I always like to have a place to go  :). Have had my share of flats and stuff over the past few years and being in a situation where I can't "pull over" is not good for me.

And as you know, Jim -- I have no co-pilot so that adds to the frustration of certain lane related situations. OTOH, I don't have anyone buggin' me about my driving  ;). When Little Dude (my long time feline traveling companion) was with me, he enjoyed riding on my seat back wit his head on my shoulder. In tight situations, he was very helpful. Yes, I talked to my cat -- and he was quite a talker in response.

Bob McNabb said:
That tunnel in Phoenix is and always has been a bother to me, too, Bob. If I'm wearing sunglasses, I remove them immediately. The tunnel is, I believe, underlit for the bright sunlight conditions that are usual to the Phoenix area.

I think that the barracades that are usual to road construction in California are set too close to the right curb lanes. When I see a detour ahead, it makes me nervous. I've never scraped them, but it's unnerving to see them snaking left or right as you approach a detour and traffic isn't slowing.

Thanks for the comment on the Phoenix freeway tunnel. If I recall, there were bands of sunlight that added to my delimma at the time.

And while we're on the subject of Phoenix freeways - they have some of the highest fly overs I have ever driven. I was driving east on I10 a few years back on my way to the Ben Avery Shooting Facility (BASF) north of Phoenix on I17. As I neared the top of that fly over, I thought to myself that I found it hard to believe how high it was. Anyway, when I arrived at the RV park at the BASF, they told me that that very afternoon, a car had gone over the guard rail from the fly over peak.

There's another fly over that I dislike north of LA of I5. If traveling south and picking up I14 toward Lancaster, that fly over is not only tall -- but collapsed in one of LA's earthquakes. I drive it about once or twice a year -- and always find myself thinking "earthquakes" until I land on I14.

Bob Buchanan said:
>> SPIII can help with the cities. I stay at least two lanes from the right as most of the time they disappear. Estelle guides me through and tells me when to move right.

Was once boxed in by 4, 18 wheelers -- and had no place to go. I always like to have a place to go  :). Have had my share of flats and stuff over the past few years and being in a situation where I can't "pull over" is not good for me.

And as you know, Jim -- I have no co-pilot so that adds to the frustration of certain lane related situations. OTOH, I don't have anyone buggin' me about my driving  ;). When Little Dude (my long time feline traveling companion) was with me, he enjoyed riding on my seat back wit his head on my shoulder. In tight situations, he was very helpful. Yes, I talked to my cat -- and he was quite a talker in response.

Yes, being alone can certainly add to the frustration of driving situations but might be a relief when in the country. :) I can just see Little Dude on that seat back. I talk to my cat very frequently but sometimes it's not in the nicest tone. ;D ;D

Check out my new co-pilot - Hercule (as in Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot). He hasn't been on the road yet, but has 'detectived' everything within the coach and surrounding areas outside - picture on left.

Also share a dislike for those concrete Jersey barriers. They invariably encroach on the driving lane, and can turn an otherwise enjoyable drive into a white-knuckler. Same with the traffic barrels. There always seems to be one knocked over and lying in the traffic lane. :mad:

White knuckler is the right term Karl.

BTW congrats on the new co-pilot.

Bob Buchanan said:
And while we're on the subject of Phoenix freeways - they have some of the highest fly overs I have ever driven. I was driving east on I10 a few years back on my way to the Ben Avery Shooting Facility (BASF) north of Phoenix on I17. As I neared the top of that fly over, I thought to myself that I found it hard to believe how high it was. Anyway, when I arrived at the RV park at the BASF, they told me that that very afternoon, a car had gone over the guard rail from the fly over peak.

There's another fly over that I dislike north of LA of I5. If traveling south and picking up I14 toward Lancaster, that fly over is not only tall -- but collapsed in one of LA's earthquakes. I drive it about once or twice a year -- and always find myself thinking "earthquakes" until I land on I14.

Bob, if you ever come through San Diego, we have a couple of lofty bridges....one on I-805 that crosses Mission Valley and loops onto I-8 and the other that crosses the San Diego harbor over to Coronado. When you sit high in a motorhome and are viewing everything over the edge of those bridges, it feels like you're flying. It's an uneasy feeling as there have been just enough serious accidents on both bridges to make you reflect on what one would do in case of a sudden accident ahead of you. All the while, cars are darting into those safe cushions of space that you've allowed in front of you. It's gulp time.

Bob,

I've seen that bridge to Coronado. Not sure I want to drive it in a car! I was stationed in San Diego for three years back in the 60's before the bridge. ;D

Karl said:
Check out my new co-pilot - Hercule (as in Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot). He hasn't been on the road yet, but has 'detectived' everything within the coach and surrounding areas outside - picture on left.

Also share a dislike for those concrete Jersey barriers. They invariably encroach on the driving lane, and can turn an otherwise enjoyable drive into a white-knuckler. Same with the traffic barrels. There always seems to be one knocked over and lying in the traffic lane. :mad:

Karl,

Hercule sure is a cute co-pilot! Looks like he could be Shadow's brother! PLEASE don't let him out alone in the desert!!! :) I would like Shadow to meet him but she goes spastic whenever she sees another cat. Dogs are usually no problem. Guess she figures she can beat the daylights out of them. ;D ;D ;D

Jim Dick said:
Bob,

I've seen that bridge to Coronado. Not sure I want to drive it in a car! I was stationed in San Diego for three years back in the 60's before the bridge. ;D

Jim, the 1960's were the heady days that are now forever lost for the San Diego area. I was at the AMPHIB base in Underwater Demolitions at the close of WW11 and will never forget the enjoment of the Coronado Ferry. Brought my family back (from Ohio) to CA in 1959 and to San Diego shortly later. The ferry was still running and my sons loved the adventure of the run between Coronado and San Diego.

You probably wouldn't recognize much of San Diego now.

Bob McNabb said:
crosses the San Diego harbor over to Coronado.

We have a similar one over the river at Antioch, viz the Antioch bridge. One lane each way with a solid concrete barrier down the center. Qute lofty and provides a great panoramic view if you're in a vehicle such as a motorhome that's high enough to see over the side barriers. They occasionally have a breakdown on the bridge, but I have no idea how they would get a wreck off there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom