Front Roof Seam Cracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yavne

Hello guys,

We bought a 2017 Prowler Lynx TT about three years ago. It's our first trailer, so we don't have a lot of experience.
Each year, I have an issue with the seam between front part of the trailer and the roof (image attached). Each year/summer, I have to fix a different spot on the same seam at least one or two times.

Is that normal? Is there a more permanent way to fix?

PS, I use Dicor self leveling sealant.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7164.jpg
    IMG_7164.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 16
Hello guys,

We bought a 2017 Prowler Lynx TT about three years ago. It's our first trailer, so we don't have a lot of experience.
Each year, I have an issue with the seam between front part of the trailer and the roof (image attached). Each year/summer, I have to fix a different spot on the same seam at least one or two times.

PS, I use Dicor self leveling sealant.

Thank you!
You're just chasing old caulk, need to remove it and recaulk.

What is the best way to remove the old caulk? I am about to have to do that on my rig

That is normal maintenance and until you remove the old caulking and replace it with new, that will continue to happen. Even if you do tape over it, you should redo the caulking first.
What is the best way to remove the old caulk?
While I agree with the heat gun & plastic scraper, be very careful with the heat gun as most of them are able to heat the roof membrane too much and could soften it or worse.

I redid mine three years ago and after it sat for 2 or 3 weeks, I went over it with EternaBond tape. My roof will never leak. Of course I’ll never know if it leaks. I sold it and as of right now, I’m no longer a rv’er.

I've done all the roof maintenance on my old '97 32' 5th wheel trailers since it was 3 months old..
I use nothing but self leveling Dicor where needed.
If its a hair line crack I pull all the sealant in that are that is loose...then add Dicor to that area.
I would recommend going to the you tube channel and search "resealing a Rvs roof".
Watch several several as many are just newbs that don't know all the tricks the pros use for a longer lasting seal job.

If you go with the Eternabond be sure and use Dicor or a self leveling brand around the edges for a professional look but mainly to seal the edges from water intrusion. Also follow only Eternabonds instruction on resealing.

There is no permanent product that eliminates roof maintenance.

Lots of vids out here from the pros (those that do this for a living)

So the plastic putty knife and wife’s hair drier did the trick. Thanks for the heat suggestion.

so folks like Dawn in a bucket of water for scrubbing the overall roof?

Dawn is ok but its primary strength is as a degreaser. I'd go for a more general purpose cleanser such as Simple Green, ZEP Purple, or whatever your local stores offer as a general purpose outdoor use detergent. Add some bleach too, cause there is usually some mold up there. Use a medium bristle brush rather than a sponge mop - it will get into the crevices and the pores of the roof membrane better.

I’ve got Purple Power which usually does a pretty good job on most stuff. It won’t hurt anything?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffhohne
Back
Top Bottom