Gas motorhome Gray smoke comung out the exhaust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver quibble

What is the fix in a gas motorhome that has gray smoke coming out of one exhaust only on acceleration?
It's a 2006 8100 Vortex GM engine on Workhorse Chassie.
Mileage 73k.

Before I take it to a shop, I'd like to hear suggestions from this group rather relying solely on a repair shop.

That wouldn't be good. It's only coming. Out one side, the drivers. Any other things to watch if it's the gasket?
as Isaac suggested above,check to see if the exhaust has a sweet odor to it,like anti freeze. Check your radiator,(when cool) is there oil residue around the top inside the cap? Check your engine oil for signs of water in the oil. Any of those symptoms could suggest a blown head gasket

Another vote for coolant. As mentioned before it has a sickeningly sweet smell. Check radiator for oil in the coolant. Check the oil dipstick, water in the oil would leave the oil kind of milky or muddy looking.
Might even be some evidence of fresh rust on the dipstick or filler tube.
Oil would be blueish white smoke.
Fuel, gas or diesel, would be black.

Kevin

Last edited:
Water burning is more white than gray. If the level of water in the overflow or radiator doesn't go down its likely burning oil. Could be as simple as a failed valve seal if it smokes mostly when it first starts up after sitting overnight. If so it is more of a nuisance than a serious problem.

Gray or white is usually condensation or coolant.

If the engine is fully warm and it still is pumping out gray/white smoke, I'd be worried.

Tell us more about your exhaust. Only one side? If you have a true dual exhaust where one pipe is fed from cylinders 1,3,5,7 and the other is 2,4,6,8, then at least you know what side the problem is on ;)

You mention ‘on acceleration’, is this just normal starting from a light, or give it a little bit extra on a hill, or do you mean when you really give it h*ll and floor it to pass that slow p.i.t.a. Roadway semi?

Your description sounds like its only blowing some form of smoke which is normally not coolant. If you think the grayish look has a blueish look, oil is the culprit. Did it just happen? If you are able to drive it with the smoke, normally its not coolant. By all means check the dipstick for any discoloration from the look of straight oil. If its even totally black from the lack of changing or from a ton of miles, coolant is not mixed with the oil. The engine will not run for long with the lack of coolant. And it with bang and lock up if you have been able to drive it for a while with the smoke and have continued to drive it.

A leaking intake manifold gasket could also allow coolant into the combustion chamber(s).

I am not familiar with the vortex 8100 but had to replace the intake manifold gasket on our TV. It has the vortex 7400. GM had some issues with intake manifold gaskets over the years. The 3800 V6 had some issues with this also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom