Gas vs Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
spacenorman said:
Aw Doc ... what are you worried about!?  The guy who posted that those are just "engineer approved max weights for the warranty  ... and not necessarily hard and fast rules of the maximum you can safely carry" has already explained that "it's an RV so the cops don't even care!".   

Like I said - how can ya argue with that rationale!?

ok guys..argue this .....

explain why the CA department of motor vehicles, and CHP, have maximum weight limit rule exceptions for fixed equipment boom vehicles to legally be registered and drive on the highways when they are clearly over the engineered approved maximum front axle weight limits?

I can't count the times when I got red-lighted in scales and had to get out and remind these newb CHPs of the front axle weight limit exceptions for truck mounted cranes..( and, of course they would look it up ) and then let me go after a severe paperwork check.

fuel tankers also have max weight exceptions because of the changes in loaded cargo weight.

please don't be scared people.. there are many, many commercial trucks out there (the same chassis as many motorhomes)  legally driving around right next to you, most of them are absolutely maxed out for profit , and some (a lot) are overweight..

hopefully they are being driven by real professional drivers and not weekend RV drivers.

In MA. You can permit an 80,000# tractor trailer for 99,000# usually sand and gravel dumps but sometimes flat beds for hardscape material. If I remember correctly you were also allowed a certain small percentage over that if you left from a location without a scale.

Bill

Bill:
then tell these people what happens to the max GVW during a rainstorm ?  :)

The point is...... there really isn't any absolutes in vehicle GVWs, it comes down to driving skills, comfort levels, and warranty issues.
There aren't really too many legal issues because even after an accident RV's are not scrutinized like commercial trucks are.

Cops don't even enforce the drivers license (... or skill level ) laws on RV drivers.

a good balance of weight and speed = safety ..... slow down is the most important thing an RV driver can do...it's not a car !

Or how about a load of washed sand for masons or washed peastone for septic and drainage?

I'll say this to all that are terrified at the thought of being overweight by any margin, Don't ever do it you probably don't have the skill set to do so safely.

Do I think it's safe to be a couple tons over weight, no. 1000# over yes if you have the skills. I know for a fact that my Dana 80 rear axle with disc brakes is under rated for my rigs application. It had to do with old regulations. Regulations were changed in the mid 90's and that is why similar rigs just a few years newer than mine have higher capacities on the same chassis. I'm not up on the regs any more as I only drive passenger vans and buses now. My load unloads itself nowadays.

Bill

ok guys... I'm sorry for saying that.  The yellow door label engineer approved GVW's rules are absolute,... never, ever exceed them.

a fun fact..

according to Federal highway engineers the max allowable safe single axle weight a commercial truck can have according to federal DOT 'bridge rule'...is 20,000 lbs. The truck axle weights are checked regularly at the scales for this absolute weight compliance,  so one would think this 20k figure must be important to those highly educated transportation engineers ...right?

one exception for the max axle weight rule is... RV's,  Class A Rv's are allowed to have 23,000 lbs on the rear axle ..
(wait !..it's the same axles/wheels/brakes as a truck ??? .)

and to top that.... that almost same 40k lb 2 axle vehicle (a Class A motorhome) is being driven 70 mph down a hill by a 16 year old kid, with a class C license and a big smile ....

You don't need to worry we have some of the world's finest engineering minds dedicated to protecting your highway safety . ...

"follow the instructions on the door "... you'll be fine  ;)

TonyDtorch said:
according to Federal highway engineers the max allowable safe single axle weight a commercial truck can have according to federal DOT 'bridge rule'...is 20,000 lbs. The truck axle weights are checked regularly at the scales for this absolute weight compliance,  so one would think this 20k figure must be important to those highly educated transportation engineers ...right?

one exception for the max axle weight rule is... RV's,  Class A Rv's are allowed to have 23,000 lbs on the rear axle ..

Actually. MH's have the same weight exemption as buses.  That was a big issue a few years ago.

But if you check the basis for why the restriction exists in the first place, it has NOTHING to do with vehicle GVWR or safety and EVERYTHING to do with preventing excessive highway damage.  So this example has nothing to do with this discussion.

great! ..so, that means technically,  you were in no danger when I overload my trucks... other than just hard on my truck and the highway... :)...

I should have just mounted a crane on a bus chassis, title it as a motorhome, I would have been able to carry 3k more stuff and then drive right past the scales at 75 mph just like all the cars...

I love exceptions.

spacenorman said:
I'm sure that varies from RVer to RVer.  I can only speak to our situation. 

Our coach has a Gross weight of 43,000 lbs. ... and a NCC of 6,773 lbs.  Based on those figures - I'm running under the assumption that my "unloaded vehicle weight is roughly 36,300 lbs.  We weighted during one of our "mid trip" relocations during our Florida trip this past winter - and posted a gross weight of roughly 39,500 - which included 2/3rds+ full fresh tank, a freshly loaded fridge and pantry, ourselves along with our personal belongings.  I'm interpreting all that to mean that we had roughly 3,200 lbs of collective "stuff" on board at the time.  I think it's worth nothing that we're still pretty early in our transition into extended travelling - and are regularly adding little stuff to the collection of "stuff" we carry.  We just added two kayaks to the pile.  Granted those travel atop the toad - but it means that life jackets and paddles got added to the collection of stuff in the basement.  We're preparing for a 3 month trip out to Arizona that will have us returning to the upper Midwest in late November.  I'll be schlepping 10 gallons of anti-freeze (just in case we need to winterize before we make it home). We'll be carrying a "3 season" wardrobe.  While none of these things are backbreakers ... it doesn't take long for the pile to grow.  We're schlepping 3,200 lbs of "stuff" now ... and that number is growing.  I'm darn glad I'm not looking at a max NCC of 2,500 ... and wondering about what I should jettison.

Thanks Norman, that gives me something to work with.

TonyDtorch said:
ok guys..argue this .....

Tony - we've all driven vehicles that were overloaded, had significant mechanical problems, etc.  Early in my last semester of college - I was given until COB on a given Friday to make good on a bad check I knowingly wrote when I enrolled or have my registration for the semester cancelled.  At the time I was commuting from the west side of Detroit to East Lansing (roughly 110 miles) to attend classes.  I needed the paycheck I was receiving in Detroit on that Friday morning in order to make good on that check.  I walked out of work that Friday morning - only to discover that the brake pedal on my car went straight to the floor.  The red on the 6" of newly fallen snow made it clear that my brake lines had given up the ghost.  I got in the car and drove the 110 miles to East Lansing - driving a "two tracked" freeway relying on downshifting and my emergency brake to stop me.  It was an ugly, white knuckled trip - but I made it and lived to tell about it. 

Desperate time often require desperate measures.  However, an RV purchase isn't "desperate times" ... and certainly doesn't warrant "desperate measures"  Just because I've survived a few miles in vehicles that never should have been on the road - doesn't mean I'd plan on purchasing an RV with the intent of ignoring the vehicle weight ratings.  There's a reason the forum is filled with discussions about weight limits / towing capacities, etc. - and hint, it's NOT because we're all wussies, cowed by engineer mumbo jumbo. 

Obviously you're welcome to drive whatever rig you see fit ... but please, do keep us abreast of your travel plans!  You may like to plan Russian roulette with your's and your family's lives - but please give the rest of us a choice to not be anywhere near ya!  :)

TonyDtorch said:
ok guys... I'm sorry for saying that.  The yellow door label engineer approved GVW's rules are absolute,... never, ever exceed them.

a fun fact..

and to top that.... that almost same 40k lb 2 axle vehicle (a Class A motorhome) is being driven 70 mph down a hill by a 16 year old kid, with a class C license and a big smile ....

You don't need to worry we have some of the world's finest engineering minds dedicated to protecting your highway safety . ...

"follow the instructions on the door "... you'll be fine  ;)
Hey I take offense to that!!! :mad: I'm 45 years old, I only look 16 ;D

Spacenorman:

motorhomes may be the only large vehicles on the roads that are NOT driven around at the absolute legal maximum GWV........

( right on the edge of causing highway carnage according to you guys..)

But then again.... they don't ever check RVs at scales, like they do trucks,....  so who really knows ?

not sure is that makes you feel better or worse... :)

I might be more worried about that weekend rv pilot that has his overloaded 5th wheel coming down the hill behind you...

spacenorman said:
Our coach has a Gross weight of 43,000 lbs. ... and a NCC of 6,773 lbs.

I just looked at a 40' 07 Monaco Diplomat today at Lazy Days and the CCC was 2344 listed on a sticker in a cabinet. That doesn't sound good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom