Gasoline vs EV electric price:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

I just got came back from a motorcycle ride to Bridgeport, CA to have my favorite Baja Fish Tacos.

The Bridgeport gas price today:

1692861167854.png

Here, at this same Shell gas station, I charged up my 2023 Energica Experia motorcycle for 48 cents per KWH. The entire 233-mile (375km) ride cost me a grand total of $4.40 today. I am not a member of Electrify America, so I had to pay the higher rate of 48 cents instead of the 36 cents per KWH (at a cost of a few bucks per month even if not used). I rarely use EA. I went here to have the delicious Bajo Tacos. A half-mile round trip walk from the Shell gas station. Before I was done eating, the bike was fully charged, and I was ready to head home to Reno. Very nice ride, perfect weather for the entire trip.

-Don- Reno, NV

73 miles away in Hawthorne, Nevada gasoline is a bit cheaper priced, but if you need it like we did driving both east and west through Baker, Nevada last week it's nice to have it versus not. Hawthorne and Baker gasoline prices are similar. Higher prices than in the cities. Lee Vining and Bridgeport, California prices are always crazy. So is our local last chance gas station within the Rockies.

BTW, Wyoming electrical rates are increasing. The electrical power from the huge windfarms that are being built are for the southwest states. It's going to get more expensive too.

There WAS a day (way back when), when gasoline prices were extremely cheap. As demand and greed pushed along, prices increased. Then state and federal things happened and the taxes were added, and added, and added. Greed pushed the prices even higher and now.... look what we have.

Just wait! "Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it!" has always been my moto. Electric prices might seem reasonable and "cheap" now, but just wait! It's day is coming too and then everyone will be screaming again!

The real problem is the increase in electric rates also affect your A/C, heat, cooking. lights. etc. Promises saying wind and solar will result in lower electric rates are laughable. When it comes to utilities Newton's Law doesn't apply. What goes up goes higher not down.

Just wait until the electric utility companies start raising prices to upgrade the infrastructure. The entire US is not set up for the increase in future electrical power demand. Now they are talking about banning natural gas appliances.
More money out of your pocket to replace your gas stove, water heater and furnace. Not to mention the upgrade you will have to make to your homes electric entrance.

I was just thinking…it’s been at least a week since we debated EV’s and gas prices on here.

Thanks Don! ;)

Promises saying wind and solar will result in lower electric rates are laughable.
I don't think anybody is saying it helps reduce the price. CA has a lot of solar/ wind and it's probably the most expensive electricity you can buy. But what is more laughable is that the price of gasoline will decrease.

But we have more control over electrity than gasoline.

For an example . . .

Have you own solar on your own house. Many are doing that. I am now in the process of adding solar at my Auburn house with a Telsa PowerWall. With batteries, so the power will stay on during an outage. This could cost me a little more than the PG&E rate, but I like the idea of the backup power as the juice goes out often there. And as more do such, it will help reduce the load on the grid.

But that is not expected to be an issue in the future as some are saying. See here. And here. And countless other places. But this is being done anyway. We have more control of what we can do with electricity than we can do with gasoline/ diesel.

-Don- Reno, NV

73 miles away in Hawthorne, Nevada
And they have free charging here in Hawthorne. But the fast DC charger has been out for a while. And I have my doubts if it will ever be repaired. But the slow AC charge station there still works.

Wyoming electrical rates are increasing.
What has not been increasing during our record inflation? Our money is worth less these days. But the free charge stations are still free and they are in many areas. I used a free fast charger on the way to Bridgeport yesterday, this one here, paid for by the City of Garnerville, NV. I didn't need that charge, but since it is free, I often stop there for a short break and free charge.

BTW, I have never noticed any increase in EV charging prices on the road. They have stayed the same over the years, which means it is now cheaper as inflation has had no effect on such. But home electricity (it includes home charging, of course) has gone up a bit in most areas.

Even Bridgeport has a couple of free charge stations to use, but they are slow. I didn't want to spend that much time in Bridgeport yesterday, so I paid for my fast charge. I won't go broke over $4.40. But if I wanted to spend more time there in Bridgeport, I would have used a free charge station, like the last time I was there, here.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Funny. Tourism will take a hit in coming years in places with no charging infrastructure. The amount of gas burners is already in continuous decline. Bed and breakfasts and hotels have already tapped into this here in BC. It’s pretty much a requirement to do business in the hospitality sector here. Same as europe.

And they have free charging here in Hawthorne. But the fast DC charger has been out for a while. And I have my doubts if it will ever be repaired. But the slow AC charge station there still works.

What has not been increasing during our record inflation? Our money is worth less these days. But the free charge stations are still free and they are in many areas. I used a free fast charger on the way to Bridgeport yesterday, this one here, paid for by the City of Garnerville, NV. I didn't need that charge, but since it is free, I often stop there for a short break and free charge.

BTW, I have never noticed any increase in EV charging prices on the road. They have stayed the same over the years, which means it is now cheaper as inflation has had no effect on such. But home electricity (it includes home charging, of course) has gone up a bit in most areas.

Even Bridgeport has a couple of free charge stations to use, but they are slow. I didn't want to spend that much time in Bridgeport yesterday, so I paid for my fast charge. I won't go broke over $4.40. But if I wanted to spend more time there in Bridgeport, I would have used a free charge station, like the last time I was there, here.

-Don- Reno, NV
Don, you keep tossing that word around like no one is paying the bill.

Not that I really ever pay attention, I'm sure I go by a few every day, but I honestly can't say I've ever even seen an EV except in a picture or on TV.

Not that I really ever pay attention, I'm sure I go by a few every day, but I honestly can't say I've ever even seen an EV except in a picture or on TV.
Lol. Go to Vancouver BC. Teslas are more common than corollas, and pretty much every third or 4th car you see on the road is electric. It’s crazy how fast they are catching on. 1 in 5 new vehicles sold here is electric now and it will be 1 in 4 by end 2024. Most are teslas but Hyundai is starting to see some serious growth as well.

Don, you keep tossing that word around like no one is paying the bill.
As long as it is not me, who cares? ;)

We can say that absolutely nothing is free, depending on your definition of "free". Yeah, somebody, somewhere pays.

In the case of the Hawthone, NV free charge station, the city pays. Just as they paid for the rest stop there. And that is paid for by somebody's taxes. But not mine.;) Totally free to me and that is all that counts when I use the word "free".:LOL:

-Don- Reno, NV

Teslas are more common than corollas
I find Tesla to be the most common car I see between Reno and Auburn. But perhaps I only notice them more than other cars. But I have even seen several in a row, one after the other a few times.

Imagine now many Teslas we would see if they got 100% caught up on all their countless orders.

"Demand is now exceeding production to a ridiculous degree."

See here.
But that is more than a year ago.

Today, it's like this. So it is improving, and we are now seeing a lot more Tesla's on the road. But it is not only Telsa that cannot quite keep up with the current demand for EVs.

-Don- Reno, NV

Regional differences, for sure. There really isn't a good EV pickup truck for farm use, yet. The middle of the country takes a while to catch on to things, they hiss at modern technology for a while before they eventually adopt it as their own. EV's also aren't cheap. Not like a 2005 Grand Marquis or a 2010 Dodge Ram.

But hey, while we're talking who pays for EV charging, who pays for gas? The US government subsidizes it and the taxpayer still gets raped at the pump. Win/win for oil companies.

The US government subsidizes it and the taxpayer still gets raped at the pump.
As local governments tax it quite heavily. Especially here in Reno. But a short drive in any direction (as long as not over the CA state line!) is cheaper.

The price drops about 20 cents per gallon in Carson City.

I have noticed capital cities are usually cheaper for gasoline price than the cities right outside the capital. Same holds true for Sacramento, CA.

Average gas price for regular 87 octane here in Reno is $4.29 today. $4.09 in Carson City.

-Don- Reno, NV

As local governments tax it quite heavily. Especially here in Reno. But a short drive in any direction (as long as not over the CA state line!) is cheaper.

The price drops about 20 cents per gallon in Carson City.

I have noticed capital cities are usually cheaper for gasoline price than the cities right outside the capital. Same holds true for Sacramento, CA.

Average gas price for regular 87 octane here in Reno is $4.29 today. $4.09 in Carson City.

-Don- Reno, NV

The bulk of gasoline price isn't tax. Price here for 87 octane is about $5.10/gallon right now because Washington State is in a spat with oil companies and they've arbitrarily increased prices again. Nothing to do with local or federal taxes. Combined federal and state tax here in WA is $0.68/gallon.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom