Generator clicks, won't turn over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lou Schneider said:
It lessens the strain on the alternator and it's drive belt.   The chassis battery has thin plates, designed to produce large amounts of current for short periods of time.   It's recharge cycle is similar - it will absorb a large amount of current at the start of the charging cycle, then taper off quickly.

O, IC.

But I don't think that's much of an issue in my rig because I have solar keeping both batteries charged (65 watts solar on house battery but only 1.5 watt solar on the chassis battery). So they don't start out drawing a lot of current because the voltage is already up at a full charge when I start out. The 1.5 watts seems to be enough to keep the chassis battery charged when rig is not used because I removed all the stray currents. I  have the dash radio, propane detector, etc.,  all rewired going to the house battery.

-Don- SSF, CA​

I read this entire thread as I have had the same issue. Thank you everyone for your comments, and yes I was able to find the problem after reading this. It was a switch issue, all good now.

James Carothers
1982 Southwind
2019 Winnebago Outlook

Welcome to the RV Forum James

And this is why we like feedback after the repairs.

Mountaineer02 said:
I don't have a battery disconnect, I may look into one.

Can I just keep the rig on shore power, when not using?

I assume I won't hurt anything, unless I have surge in electric.

Surprised there's no battery disconnect. Our first one had it in what I thought was an odd location - the kitchen wall all by itself and it was up side down and not labelled. It looked just like the light switches through out the RV.

Mountaineer02 said:
My frig is a Norcold.  I will check on the switch when I get home from work.  Thanks for the idea! 

Went out this morning, plugged in all night, after hitting the starter button, the genny hesitated and turned over.  YEAH!

The brief heistation scares me..like it isn't going to engage the starter.  Its very inconsistent. 

I assume that when on shorepower, the battery is maintaining a charge by the converter/charger, which would cause some heat and the fan to engage in the converter?

The brief hesitation between pushing the start button and starter engagement may be typical. We're only on our second MH but they both did it. Both were onan 4000 gen's.

Do you last few folks realize you're replying to a 10 year old thread?

Mountaineer02 said:
Thanks for all the advice...my search for clues goes on.  I do believe somethis is drawing down the battery as well--just can't figure what.

The battery was an Everstart.

Get a 12v test light.  The cheap one that looks like an ice pick with a pigtail on it and a light in the handle.  Disconnect the negative battery cable and also disconnect from shore power.  Hook the pigtail of the test light to the disconnected cable and touch the post of the battery with the probe.  If the light comes on brightly, you have a draw on the battery.  Go around disconnecting 12v things(the propane leak detector for example)one at a time until the light goes out(or at least goes very dim).  Very dim would be the keep-alive signal for the stereo, control panels, etc.

Back
Top Bottom