genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

The 5er I am looking at has a 5.5kw Onan Marquis Gold genset in it. Are they wired for 120/240 volt output or just 120 volt? I was contemplating making this useable with the xfer switch I have installed in my house, so I could have water in an outage.

The spec sheet says 120V only. See here. The 5.5 HGJAB-1038 variant of the generator mentions two 30A breakers, but it doesn't mention two separate phases of output or specifically 240V.

Check the water pump.  at least the one at my friend's house could be wired for either 120 or 240.  During a 2 week long power outage here in MA, a 1200 W portable generator sequentially provided water pump, furnace heat, lights, and coffee in the morning.
Art

Oops, missed the phase column. Thanks Karl.

Are you talking about a 2pole single phase breaker? If so that is normally 240 volt. Two one pole breakers would probably be 120 volt. Single phase does not mean it is not 240 volt. Your 240 volt equipment in a house(range, water heater, etc) are all single phase 240 volt fed by a 2 pole single phase breaker. Could the generator winding configuration be changed from 120 volt output to 120/240? If it is strictly 120 volt output, I will probably install a transformer in the house to step it up to 240 volt to match the input of my automatic transfer switch.

Janpaul,
No we're talking about the generator winding. House 240V wiring is actually two 120V feeds, 180 degrees out of phase, connected in series, effectively giving you a 240V single phase circuit. That's why you have two breakers ganged together for the 240V; each section controls one 120v hot phase.

Hi janpaul,

What he have for 240V at home is referred to as split phase, a single phase fed from a center tapped transformer. I would have thought the Onan spec sheet would say something like "120/240V" if the generator winding was wound that way.

I have not seen the spec sheet, but form what you guys are saying, it probably can not be configured for 240v. Thanks for the input. I have access to a 120 to 240 5kva xfmr for next to nothing that will solve my problem.

Must have missed it before. That pretty much sums it all up. Thanks again for your replies and info. It really is nice to have all of this knowledge and help available with a few clicks and keystrokes. If everything goes right, we may be getting a 5er, (our first rv), in a couple of weeks. I am worse about that right now than the kids are right now about Christmas.....but that's a good thing. It seems that the end of the year and off-season is a really good time to shop for one. Thanks again, and I hope everyone has a great weekend and holiday season, no matter what you celebrate!  Paul

Glad we got it figured out. Good luck with the purchase and be sure to come back and post some photos.

Thanks, I am sure I will have lots of "stupid" questions after I get one. But like my grandfather always said, " If you don't know the answer, it's not a stupid question."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom