Go West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bugford

Our first travel trailer trip out west starts today. I booked this before our Florida trip taught me to keep the legs shorter. Still very doable. This will also be a test for me dealing with the wind through the high plains. I'll be doing short reviews along the way.722AB813-8D9B-4E3C-A4C7-ED360DCE9EB2.jpeg

If you're from back east, Kansas is "Out West"
I knew a guy in Maine that figured anything west of the Hudson was "Out West"

Interested to see what you think of KS. I used to live in Wichita and since then I've always considered KS a place you have to drive through to get to somewhere else. It's close enough to NM though that if there was something nice to see I'd entertain the idea. The small towns are quaint and picturesque but the vast majority of it I saw was a lot of farmland.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
I've always liked driving through Kansas. They have a lot of good roads, and not too much traffic.
Though Wichita is getting a lot less pleasant to get through than it used to be.

Raised in NY and have lived in Florida for the last 44 years. Yeah, Colorado is "out West". Maybe just borderline West, but it's there. Heck, the infamous Dodge City, icon of the Wild West, is in Kansas!

Raised in NY and have lived in Florida for the last 44 years. Yeah, Colorado is "out West". Maybe just borderline West, but it's there. Heck, the infamous Dodge City, icon of the Wild West, is in Kansas!
Yessir. A lot of the stuff that went on "Out West" was in Kansas. The Earp Brothers were from Kansas.

First stop Hawthorn Park Campground, Terre Haute Indiana. Nice wooded campground, but just here for the night. Site was level enough that I didn't have to unhook!

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_161228906.jpg
    IMG_20210602_161228906.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 5
We have white oaks around our property that are probably 60 + feet and are dead. A couple of Amish furnitures makers are going to take some out. They usually pay $50 per tree but they can have mine for free. It normally cost between $5500-$700 to have tree removed around here.

Interested to see what you think of KS. I used to live in Wichita and since then I've always considered KS a place you have to drive through to get to somewhere else. It's close enough to NM though that if there was something nice to see I'd entertain the idea. The small towns are quaint and picturesque but the vast majority of it I saw was a lot of farmland.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Farm land including a lot of wind farms (windmills).

The small towns are quaint and picturesque but the vast majority of it I saw was a lot of farmland.
A large potion is, indeed, farmland, part of the nation's "breadbasket." I was raised in west Texas and the "great plains" are quite pretty to me, the rolling hills, grasslands, wheat and corn and other crops, old windmills, livestock -- neat stuff. Of course I tend to see beauty where many see wasteland or "lots of rocks" or other disparaging remarks.

While a lot of the east can be pretty, all too much of it is hidden by the trees and made much less pleasant (for me, anyway) by the high humidity and overly abundant bugs plus, in many areas (PA where I Lived for a year, and others), the gloomy weather, sometimes two weeks or more at a time of drizzling rain, etc. In addition, after I've been there a little while, I start to feel closed in, almost claustrophobic, because you often can't see more than half a mile, or maybe only a couple of miles, while I'm used to vistas that let me see 60, 80, even 100+ miles.

So a lot of it is in the eye of the beholder.

Back
Top Bottom