hand guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jr brown

iam a cpl holder in the state of Michigan and plan on travleing out of state . Her in Mich we have the castle doctrine so I can carry my hand guns to protect our 5th wheel[home]Will I be legal to have fire arms in the 5th w :-\heel in other states. Most state will recognize michigans cpls

You might want to Search this forum for prior related discussions (button in the menu above).  I don't carry, but there have been numerous prior discussions on this subject.

There is no way I would conceal carry out of your licensed state.  Have it in your RV, no problem.  I subscribe to the dont ask dont tell theory.

We always have a gun with us when we travel. I just am careful which states I carry outside of the RV. If they recognize your ccp you are fine. Inside the RV is your home.

I can tell you that mere possession of any handgun in New York State without a New York permit is illegal.  Even in your home, let alone a vehicle.  Even if it's locked up.  You WILL get prison time in NY if you're caught with it.

Plus, there can be other tricky problems.  In NJ, possession of hollow point bullets by anyone but a cop is illegal.

If you want a gun for self-defense, you are far better off with a pump shotgun, or a lever action cowboy carbine.  General rule of thumb is that the more a gun looks like Grandpa's hunting gun, the more socially acceptable it is, and the less likely it is to be legally problematical.  You could even take either of those into Canada, just fill out a simple form at the border.

Otherwise, if you want a handgun, you've got to be SURE of the laws in each state you pass through.  And you may have to detour around certain problem states.

I will concour. We were in the north east last year and my wife and I both did not carry anywhere. You have to have some common since where you are at. The west I carried almost ecerywhere with the exception of California of course. It may be illegal in my Motorhome but they should have no reason to look and I don't offer to tell them if they would ask. I would rather answer to 12 than carried by six. I come from a police family though. It is a risk whatever you decide to do. Just use common sense.

For assorted reasons I have no love for the NRA but ... they do one thing very well.

Research gun laws for those traveling state to state.

I would suggest you contact the NRA.. or baring that go to a Gun Shop where they can safely and SECURELY store your weapon till your return to MI.

Get a handgun safe for your truck. I use it for passing thru states that don''t recognize the constitution of the United States.

Sun2Retire said:
https://www.gunstocarry.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/

Great site Scott.  Thanks for that post.  Where can it be put on the forum so it stays available to all who ask?

Bill

John From Detroit said:
I would suggest you contact the NRA.. or baring that go to a Gun Shop where they can safely and SECURELY store your weapon till your return to MI.

John, on a recent trip to Canada I contacted no less than 5 gun shops in the last 100 miles before I crossed the border (before I started the trip).  NONE would store my weapon until my return.  All recommended I find a pawn shop and pawn the gun and pick it up on the way out.  That may have been possible but we would be coming out on a Sunday and it was not feasible.  Left the gun at home and, thankfully, our trip was cut short and we had to leave Canada early because of a medical emergency at home.  Has anybody had success with a gun shop storing your guns?

Bill

I heard of others having success with asking a gun store to clean your pistol. Pay them for the cleaning and pick it up in a couple weeks.

Tom

Bill N said:
Great site Scott.  Thanks for that post.  Where can it be put on the forum so it stays available to all who ask?

Bill

This question pops up every couple of months and there are numerous topics posted, so a simple search by someone would yield this and many other sites for carry information.

Heli_av8tor said:
I heard of others having success with asking a gun store to clean your pistol. Pay them for the cleaning and pick it up in a couple weeks.

Clever!

Castle Doctrine has different meanings in different states.  Generally it's a good rule of thumb to assume deadly force is an absolute last resort and retreat should always be an option unless serious bodily injury or your life is in immediate threat.

It's your responsibility to know the laws of every state you intend to pass through or spend time in.
FOPA offers some protection in hostile states for transporting an unloaded firearm THROUGH such states, not into.
Meaning spending the night is out of the question.  Note that high capacity mags may not be covered by FOPA......it's a gray area.
If you have reciprocity with other states then you need to at least be familiar with their laws. 

This is a good resource to start http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Castle Doctrine has different meanings in different states.  Generally it's a good rule of thumb to assume self defense (with a firearm) is an absolute last resort and retreat should always be an option if your life is not in imminent danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wanda56
Back
Top Bottom