Help us choose a good bunkhouse trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that the prices for the trucks we are looking at are high but we need a newer model hopping that it won't need  repairs in the near future. We just test drove trucks but never owned one so we don't like them that much. He needs to add a cover to the truck bed so additional costs. He'll be probably using this truck 2 times a week for longer commutes (150 miles/ trip) so a gas truck with some fuel economy would be better. We hate diesel cars (in the country we lived 80-90 % of the cars were diesel cars  :mad:) because they are slower, the emissions smell and pollute, the diesel engine cars cost more to buy and repair, the price of the fuel is higher and in the US not all the gas stations have diesel fuel. We've talk to a lot of friends that owned diesel cars and we concluded the above.

92GA said:
I prefer the better ride that GM trucks have, and they're not as tall, easier to get in and out of for me. Diesel trucks will pull the trailer much easier and will last longer. One thing about it, you can't have cake and eat it too.
I know! We are a strange family with so many expensive demands but we want to RV frugally...
That's why we dislike the F250. The front is almost as tall as me, we can't see the kids if they're in front of the truck.
In our aria we see so many F-150 trucks, some F-250& 350 so it is easier to find one at the dealers. We have a Ford Fusion and we like the 'cockpit' and the nice features inside. But we know the motor is not that reliable. I would have to drive from time to time the truck+trailer, but I don't have a lot of driving experience because we lived in a big city before and I used the public transportation. So driving a 40' bus seems like a nightmare.

scottydl said:
For 2-month living, I would agree with previous posters that the larger you can go, the better.  You will get cramped really fast in a small trailer, depending on how much of your time will be "out and about" from the actual rig.  Weather/climate will probably play a big part of that. 
One of my conditions for our bunkhouse was interior DOORS. 
All the prices you've posted so far are quite on the high end too, but there is always room for negotiation.  I think the trailer I bought was priced at $11k on Craigslist, and I bought it for $8500 cash. 
We will live 2-3 weeks at a time. But I know that space is important especially with the 2 kids. And yes! The normal doors seem like a blessing (I even though of putting something under them to make them more sound proof).
You were lucky to find such a good deal. We were bad negotiators... we told them that we know that winter is better time to buy, that CL is the way to go, that we liked their trailer and that it looks well maintain... Mea culpa a thousand times. :-[ But if they still have the 33' bunkhouse trailer for $14500 in a month or so, we could probably take it down to 12k-13k. Or look around for another well maintain unit.
We are a little afraid of buying a truck form CL. We've heard horror stories about changed odometers; a car made from 2 other half cars, reconstructed doors... We like the (little) peace of mind that the dealerships offer.

NADA actually lists that Puma at 32 ft. according to the model number. Here is a link to it. He has it listed at the top of the price range. Don't be afraid to make a lower offer on it if you like it. Most he can say is NO. Print this page off and show it to them. http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2010/Palomino/M-30DBSS/4110707/Values

Being that it will need new tires no matter what the owner says you need to deduct the cost of the tires. If I were buying it and the trailer looks new condition, I would deduct the cost of the tires from low retail. Retail is what dealers try to sell for. I don't blame you for not wanting a diesel truck, I don't like them either and wouldn't buy one, but I don't like to recommend gas as the only option. That 150 HD you found should pull this trailer with no problems. I'd pull it with my Chevy Z71 crew cab and not worry about it. NADA has it listed as 6670 so loaded maybe 8500. 

92GA said:
NADA actually lists that Puma at 32 ft. according to the model number. Here is a link to it. He has it listed at the top of the price range. Don't be afraid to make a lower offer on it if you like it. Most he can say is NO. Print this page off and show it to them. http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2010/Palomino/M-30DBSS/4110707/Values

Being that it will need new tires no matter what the owner says you need to deduct the cost of the tires. If I were buying it and the trailer looks new condition, I would deduct the cost of the tires from low retail. Retail is what dealers try to sell for. I don't blame you for not wanting a diesel truck, I don't like them either and wouldn't buy one, but I don't like to recommend gas as the only option. That 150 HD you found should pull this trailer with no problems. I'd pull it with my Chevy Z71 crew cab and not worry about it. NADA has it listed as 6670 so loaded maybe 8500.

I think we should go see that truck if they still have it. And maybe try to lower the price but some dealers claim to have the 'no haggle price' and it's no wiggle room even if they listed the truck 2 month ago.
As for the trailer we should wait for awhile because we seemed too enthusiastic in the first visit. They relisted the trailer again in the same day we saw it, without the OBO part... But I don't think that a lot of people buy during the winter months.

I wouldn't worry too much about the OBO part. I'd only pay what I want to pay or find something else. I sure wouldn't pay full retail or more.

They still have it.  http://www.jkbautosales.net/2010_Ford_F150_Harrisonville_MO_258858419.veh

They even have more than one available.

Trailer looks like a good price.
https://topeka.craigslist.org/rvs/5383593560.html

Take your time!!!!  There should be no pressure to buy before you are completely ready.

Look for trucks on    www.autotrader.com          Specify brand, model and even trim line.  There should be quite a few in the greater KC area.

Gas truck motors should be good for 150,000 + miles.  Diesel truck motors are just getting broken in by then, and can go twice that far.
MODERN diesel motors are quieter, cleaner and smell better than the older ones you remember.  Maintenance does cost more, but is required less often.  They are also much more powerful pulling a trailer than their gas cousins.

Trucks that get great gas mileage (for a truck) and ones that pull large trailers with ease are mutually exclusive.  You can have one or the other.

Back in the early 80's, I had friends who had 3 cars.  He drove a very high mileage VW.  She drove a high mileage Honda Civic.  They had a really low mileage Chrysler Newport that rarely moved unless the Travel Trailer was attached to the back bumper.  Just a thought.

Try      www.rvtrader.com      for campers.  They have good search tools to only show what you want to see.  You can "window shop" all you want.  Compare models and prices.  See what is available.  Once you find a specific brand / model you like, you can narrow the search further.

92GA said:
They still have it.  http://www.jkbautosales.net/2010_Ford_F150_Harrisonville_MO_258858419.veh

Trailer looks like a good price.
https://topeka.craigslist.org/rvs/5383593560.html

I've noticed that on Cargurus it was 2011 and on their site is 2010... strange. I wrote them an email and no response. I would ask them to check on the door's sticker but I'm pretty sure they'll ignore the request.
I've asked about that TT, the 28' Pilgrim a few posts ago. I couldn't find on the internet the GW for it. But I hope to go in the big city and maybe see some of the TT we've been talking about. They're spread around KC...
grashley said:
Take your time!!!!  There should be no pressure to buy before you are completely ready.

Trucks that get great gas mileage (for a truck) and ones that pull large trailers with ease are mutually exclusive.  You can have one or the other.

Back in the early 80's, I had friends who had 3 cars.  He drove a very high mileage VW.  She drove a high mileage Honda Civic.  They had a really low mileage Chrysler Newport that rarely moved unless the Travel Trailer was attached to the back bumper.  Just a thought.
Yes I know we should take our time. But I'm sure the buyers are more open to negotiations in the winter when no one is calling them for RVs.

The new truck with lots of gizmos had a great mileage but could pull just 7500#. So it's a wash. If we could find a seller that will brig the TT to the parking we could wait a few more month with the truck. The one with the big 33' TT was willing to tow it for us.

We have 2 sedan cars, a lease and a loan. If we want to squeeze the TT and the truck in the yearly expenses will gonna have to terminate the lease. And I'll get to drive the truck in town because Mr. doesn't want to drive a truck for recreational purposes.  :eek:

Guguluff said:
Yes I know we should take our time. But I'm sure the buyers are more open to negotiations in the winter when no one is calling them for RVs.[/url]

Not true.  That's what a salesman will tell you.  I bought our trailer in June, peak camping season and got a great deal.  It had been sitting unused since the end of the previous camping season, so the seller was really ready to sell.  More than anything else it depends on the seller you find, and their timeline/motivations which you cannot control.  That's why a lot of shopping and inquiries are important, so you can find just the right seller circumstance to match up with your buyer circumstance.

Autotrader and RVtrader are good sites as mentioned, but the reason so many of us mention Craigslist is because that's almost everyone buys/sells their cars and RV's (as well as most other items) these days.

Guguluff said:
We have 2 sedan cars, a lease and a loan. If we want to squeeze the TT and the truck in the yearly expenses will gonna have to terminate the lease.

Sheesh, you should terminate the lease anyway... those are terrible financial products that benefit you in almost no way.  You are basically renting a car and will see none of that money back.  The amount of money you are dumping into both of those debt products would rack up fast in savings, to buy what you really want in cash. 

Currently it doesn't seem like you are in a financial position to dive into fulltime RV living, but you could get there with some deliberate decision-making. Let's say you did obtain a truck + trailer somehow and head off for two months... what would you have done with the 2 other cars anyway?  Continuing to make payments on something you're not using would not make much sense.

The lease is on my husband S-corp. The accountant and other friends suggested the company lease. I was against because it; is a small car and we needed something bigger. Before we moved here we didn't have any loans or leases. I have the same philosophy: If you can't buy it, don't own it. That's why I always buy second hand products, but he thinks differently.
No chance for the full time RVing... it's a dream of mine but it takes two to tango.

Just wanted to ask about some smaller TT I found listed in Europe. I know that it is tiny compared to the ones in US but the roads are narrower in Europe. I like the modern look of it and I think it's in pretty good shape. Not planing to bring something like that here but if we visit for a few months maybe it's an option. My parents have an SUV and we have storage there, also the insurances and camping fees are cheaper.

Trailer HOME CAR 496H
$ 5,367
16.4 feet
2645#
Specifications:
2 compartments, 2 beds (4 persons), kitchen with range oven, inox sink with faucet (cold/ hot), fridge (220V, 12V and propane), propane ventilation heating "Trumatic", ecological toilet with exterior dumping (not sure what that means), shower with hot water, electric boiler, all the windows have para-solar and nets, panoramic vent, anti-sway hook, closed tent.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 13
WOW, that reminds me of my 1972 Aristocrat, that I had 40 years ago. I'm sure you can find something like that over here too, if that's something that you would consider. I never did care for trying to shower over the stool, and I know my wife wouldn't even consider it.

By the way there is only 1 bed in that trailer, and 1 table that converts to a sleeping area. I don't believe I could get my wife to go in that even for a weekend.

Guguluff said:
Will something like this F-150 tow 11,000#? http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c21953&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c24997&zip=66610&distance=100&searchChanged=true&fuelTypes=2&fuelTypes=5&maxPrice=24000&maxMileage=111000&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=PRICE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=125033131
5.4L ENGINE
Axle Ratio - 3.73
Engine: V8
SuperCrew 4WD
+ 20" ALLOY WHEELS WITH NEWER YOKOHAMA TIRES
Max Trailer Tow Package
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/10FLMrvF150sep09.pdf
I would be careful with this truck. The description of what is included is not correct. 20" spoke wheels with Yokohama tire, picture shows standard wheels with Michelin tires, No Navigation so no Sony Sync, also no bass box in rear seating. I also noticed no trailer brake on dash so I am assuming this is not a max tow package as listed.
I too have a 2010 Ford F-15 Super Crew Cab Lariat with all the bells and whistles and I can see by the pictures included this definitely is not as described. Be very very careful silly wabbitt. I pull a 36' Sunset Trail GVWR of 9,500 lbs. and the truck is rated for 11,200lbs. I am so very close but do not have any issues towing albeit on steep inclines she whines like an old Jewish woman. With all due respect. ;D

martin2340 said:
I too have a 2010 Ford F-15 Super Crew Cab Lariat with all the bells and whistles and I can see by the pictures included this definitely is not as described. Be very very careful silly wabbitt. I pull a 36' Sunset Trail GVWR of 9,500 lbs. and the truck is rated for 11,200lbs. I am so very close but do not have any issues towing albeit on steep inclines she whines like an old Jewish woman. With all due respect. ;D

:D Thanks! They have it for a long time and they answered in the email that it is available. But didn't find the time to go and check it up. We will not go to that dealer.

92GA, I wouldn't buy something over there anyway. Not online, I would want to check it up, do the smell test... But I liked it a lot with the sleek furniture and airplane feel to it. The bathroom... o well my first apartment had a tiny bathroom without shower tub so it will be like the good old days. I've found some trailers with bunks, too. But in the same room. Some roads are so narrow in Europe so 20' is the maximum I would consider. In the US everything is so spread out... and it's good especially on the roads.

That dealer is a Ford dealer ship, they have quite a few trucks. They may have the description messed up with another truck. Doubt if they were try to be deceitful, but you never know.  They do have a few with the tow package.

Long story short he's giving up the lease and he bought a truck. Not the right one, but at list it can tow. He got the F-150 with bells and whistles. We had a terrible battle of the wits because he liked the lease car and he didn't want to switch to a truck because he hates them. But my parents could come and stay with us from time to time and we would have to go with both cars anywhere. The F-150 has 6 sits and we can all fit, even with lots of luggage.
We'll gonna postpone the trailer buying anyway until we get some personal things straighten out... Maybe he doesn't like changes or he's to afraid that all of us will love traveling so much, that I'll insist more with the full time RVing.  ;D We camped last summer for few nights in the mountains and on the beach and the kids loved it. And that was a tent, not a TT... And few summer ago, before the baby, we went with the older one and she loved camping and the adventures we had. We agreed that is a good way to travel and we could see more this way. But he compiled lists with lots of expenses and some of them were so pessimistic that I snapped.
If not now then when? If not with then kids than how? If not like this then in what way? So... I'll be patient and come back to you guys as soon as we reach a verdict.  :)

As much as you hate it now... it's better to take a step back for awhile if you are not both on board.  Making sure you know what you need, and know what you can afford BEFORE taking the RV plunge will make the experience a whole lot more enjoyable.

See if you can get him reading some of these forum posts.  Not necessarily THIS one, but just some general information about RV'ing and how much we all love it.  ;D

He's a great dad and husband and we've traveled a lot. But he likes the comfort that a normal house or hotel room offers. I think that a hotel room with 4 people is even more cramped than a TT... And in a campground the kids can play with other kids so they would spend more time outside even when we're not wondering around.
I know that it would be crowded even in a 33' trailer, from time to time... daily maybe... but it would be much more pleasant than unpleasant. And he knows that too because we traveled and camped before.

I already started to do my homework. :D And I started with the scary math behind the maximum towing capacity.
The real Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight is 7350#. It's on the sticker. I can not even find that towing capacity in the Ford's list.
I have a question: what would be the approximate DW of the trailer we should look for?
Correct me if i'm wrong:
7350 -
5,586 truck curb wt. -
410 passengers -
500 carried cargo -
100 hitch weight -
50 bed cover

704 X 8 = 5632# maximum GW of the trailer + load

What would be a realistic load for the cargo carried in the truck and the one carried in the trailer? We won't get the bikes for us neither the stroller, playpen for the little one, just 4 folding chairs and we'll try to travel as light as possible: Teflon pans, melamine plates, not so much food just for few days at a time, maybe half full clean water tank etc.

That Pilgrim Lite that you linked only weighed a little over 4700 lbs. The info is on NADA.
It was cheap too $7500 open to offers. Don't forget about tires, about anything you may look at will probably need tires.

The real Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight is 7350#. It's on the sticker. I can not even find that towing capacity in the Ford's list.
I have a question: what would be the approximate DW of the trailer we should look for?

DW? Is that Dry Weight? If so, that's the wrong question. You want to look at max loaded weight (GVWR), since it's a rare thing for someone to travel in a completely empty trailer, and not uncommon to be near the max load. I'd take the tow rating of your tow vehicle, then subtract 10% (20% if you'll be in the mountains much) to allow for truck loading, extra capacity for big hills, etc.

92GA, I send them an email and no response. I wanted to see some trailers anyway; maybe we'll find something affordable and in good condition and he'll agree to get it.
Larry N., yes I was referring to dry weight. I read somewhere that is improbable for a family to load the trailer with more than 1000#. So I thought that if I subtract 1000# from 5632# it would be safe. I maxed out the load for the trailer (1000#) and for the truck (500#) to be in a safe zone.

So... should I subtract 20% because there will be some mountains, from the maximum loaded trailer weight of 7350# or from the 5632# (probably GVWR... sorry I get so confused with this abbreviations...)?
We will keep it on the safer side (if it will happen) so a lite 27' trailer sounds like the only option. Or a 24'-25' but it would be too small.

I found some light weight TTs with bunks.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvd/5422991846.html - 2007 Flagstaff Super-lite 27BHSS (dealership)
https://wichita.craigslist.org/rvs/5367275899.html - 2007 TrailLite/Trail-Sport TS-27QBSS - 31' and 4201#  :eek:
And a dealer with lots of light & cheaper trailers and R-Visions, but so far away (11h)... http://www.camperkingdom.com/2011/11/2006-r-vision-trailsport-ts-qbss-1243018-9995/
http://www.camperkingdom.com/2015/02/2006-r-vision-trail-cruiser-30qbss-stock-l0650-11995/

I read somewhere that is improbable for a family to load the trailer with more than 1000#.

Some folks do carry more than that -- depends on many factors -- but note that few trailers come off the dealer's lot at the dry weight. They're usually somewhat heavier. Also, that weight creeps up on you, sometimes without being obvious. And it may take a few months or a year to get the loaded weight up too high, but it often happens. So it's safest to use the max allowable trailer weight, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), to figure tow capacity. The 10% or 20% subtraction is from the towing capacity of your tow vehicle, thus comparing that to the GVWR on the trailer.

In other words, if your truck has a 7500 lb tow rating (just an example rating), then subtract 750 lbs (10%) or 1500 lbs (20%) to get an actual 6750 or 6000 lb tow capacity, respectively. Keep in mind that tow rating is for more than just how much it can actually get moving. It also has to stop (even with trailer brakes, which you need) and it has to be able to keep that trailer under control, even down steep, winding hills. The 20%, vs 10%, allowance for mountains, is to aid the power loss with altitude and the greater likelihood of steep winding roads, often for extended periods (6, 8, 10 miles or more).

Certainly you can do as you like, but pushing the edge doesn't help prolong the life of transmissions, running gear, etc. or help keep things under control. That truck with a 7500 lbs rating can probably manage to tow 10,000 lbs or more, but a strong, gusty crosswind with trucks going by in the adjacent lane, or a sudden stop and/or swerve to avoid another vehicle can cause a loss of control, not to mention considerable wear on the truck's suspension and drive line. These things become cumulative over time or when bad circumstances appear.

I hope this doesn't sound like trying to shove something down your throat, as it's not intended that way -- we're just trying to help you understand possible consequences and help you stay safe.

Best of luck in finding a trailer that works for you.

Larry N. said:
In other words, if your truck has a 7500 lb tow rating (just an example rating), then subtract 750 lbs (10%) or 1500 lbs (20%) to get an actual 6750 or 6000 lb tow capacity, respectively. Keep in mind that tow rating is for more than just how much it can actually get moving. It also has to stop (even with trailer brakes, which you need) and it has to be able to keep that trailer under control, even down steep, winding hills. The 20%, vs 10%, allowance for mountains, is to aid the power loss with altitude and the greater likelihood of steep winding roads, often for extended periods (6, 8, 10 miles or more).

Certainly you can do as you like, but pushing the edge doesn't help prolong the life of transmissions, running gear, etc. or help keep things under control. That truck with a 7500 lbs rating can probably manage to tow 10,000 lbs or more, but a strong, gusty crosswind with trucks going by in the adjacent lane, or a sudden stop and/or swerve to avoid another vehicle can cause a loss of control, not to mention considerable wear on the truck's suspension and drive line. These things become cumulative over time or when bad circumstances appear.

Thanks for the advice! We need safety because we care about us and the kids. I wouldn't struggle so much to understand GVWR& co. if I would consider that the truck can handle anything.
So for 7350# tow rating... subtracting 20% => 1470# I'll get a 5880# towing capacity.

I don't want to waste any of your time with silly questions. :) Just a short one, since my husband agreed to go look at more trailers.
http://www.olathefordrv.com/product/used-2007-thor-aerolite-25qs-412245-29
Is this any good? I read about their aerodynamic design and with the 27' and 4323 lbs (Gross Weight is 6000lbs but with 1677 lbs Cargo Weight) seems OK for the truck.
It's the same floor plan as the R-vision I was asking before and I don't think it would be a major problem that we can't use the dinette when the slide is inside. Do you know something about Aerolites? The company stopped producing TTs? Is there any issue with spare parts, repairs?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lynnentim
Back
Top Bottom