Hooking up a propane grill to house propane.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sloop

I have a grill with a standard propane bottle ACME connector much like any backyard grill. However I have a horizontal permanent mounted tank in my M/H which does not use an ACME fill valve but a 1 -5/16" POL fill valve (I believe).
It also has a plug for another 1-5/16" POL port.  Would it be possible to remove the plug and add an ACME valve to the POL port to attach my grill allowing me to use the house propane? This is assuming I can find a valve with the same thread as the plug. The Extend-A-Stay adapters do not seem to be a solution as they require an ACME fill valve on the propane tank.

I have been using that set up for years.  In fact, I have worn out two grills and am on my third one now.  Mine is hooked up in the line and it has a special hookup that lets the gas out when I hook up the line.  It has its own regulator valve as I hook in before the regulator valve on the coach as I recall.  (i guess i need to go look first)
Anyhow, the grill should come with instructions and all the lines and fittings telling you how to hook it up to your LP tank mounted on your MH.  Just go by the instructions and you should not have a problem. 
One word of caution.........  When you hook up your grill for use ... BUBBLE TEST YOU CONNECTIONS TO YOUR LP GAS LINE.  If you see bubbles, you got a leak and you need to tighten a fitting. 
Other than that, they work fine.  I have probably ''roasted'' half a herd of cattle on mine. 
Mind you, this is just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I aint managed to blow my self up yet or burn down my coach.  (whats the old saying ....  ''God looks out for children, ,  drunks and old people''.....)
Enjoy....

Remember this ......  We got troops over in the sand box that would do just about anything for a ''just perfect steak''.  Let us never forget our people defending this country.........cj....

What kind of BBQ are you thinking of using with this setup?? Those grills that are normally used with the small (1 lb.) bottles have a regulator that has to be disabled if you end up taking propane from your MH tank on the regulated pressure side. The modification is unnecessary  if propane is taken from the high pressure side...

I have a grill that normally uses the small 1 lb bottles. I also have a Marshall Brass Extend-A-Stay Deluxe adapter installed that has a short hose for connecting an external 20 or 30 lb bottle to the coach supply, and also has a 12 foot hose that connects to the small bottle connection on my grill. The adapter is installed between the coach tank and the coach supply regulator.

Seajay said:
Remember this ......  We got troops over in the sand box that would do just about anything for a ''just perfect steak''.  Let us never forget our people defending this country.........cj....

Yup. Roger that, Seajay.  First thing I'm going to have when I get back from Afghanistan is a NY strip.  ;D Had some pretty good ribs at the chow hall the other day, though.  Might have been goat.  I count my blessings every day though, and think how much better we have it than those that have gone before.  I salute you.

OK, sorry for the thread drift.  Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Sloop said:
I have a grill with a standard propane bottle ACME connector much like any backyard grill. However I have a horizontal permanent mounted tank in my M/H which does not use an ACME fill valve but a 1 -5/16" POL fill valve (I believe).
It also has a plug for another 1-5/16" POL port.  Would it be possible to remove the plug and add an ACME valve to the POL port to attach my grill allowing me to use the house propane? This is assuming I can find a valve with the same thread as the plug. The Extend-A-Stay adapters do not seem to be a solution as they require an ACME fill valve on the propane tank.

The Extend a Stay Tees don't connect to the fill valve. They connect between the regulator and the fitting the regulator connects to. The included hose connects to the Tee and has the proper fitting to connect to the grill.

The problem with the POL-ACME adapter someone liked to above is that you have to keep connecting and disconnecting and re-connecting the POL (Less you use it's mate on the RV's lines) and you loose propane to the RV while hooked to the Grill.

The Extend-a-stay (With the proper adapter) can feed propane to the grilll however some folks have reported that really high power grills seem "Starved" when hooked up that way.

The grill has an ACME connector with a regulator that hooks up to a standarbd 20lb BBG propane grill.  The Extend a Stay needs an ACME valve on the tank to allow it to be installed.  I do not have an ACME valve on the tank, just a 1-5/16" POL valve and a 1-5/16" plugged port. If I installed a standard ACME valve into the spare POL port I think I can use that to attach the grill.  The only directions that came with the grill says do not hook it up to a M/H permanently installed tank which is what I am trying to do. I know I could plumb it into the M/H propane lines but would prefer to utilize the spare port as that would provide me with the opportunity to install a cutoff valve as well. 
IrishBrewer, The adapter you linked to would be good but I will need an integrated valve (just like on a 20 lb propane tank) so I can cut off the propane or the tank will vent out once the grill is connected.

Not sure what the thread configuration is on your existing spare POL valve but if you take that off you should be able to go from that to a 90 degree shutoff gas valve with pipe thread ends to an ACME fitting such as one of those shown on this page:

http://www.bigway.com/CARTgallery3.htm

just make sure to check all of your connections with soapy water spray.

jagnweiner said:
Yup. Roger that, Seajay.  First thing I'm going to have when I get back from Afghanistan is a NY strip.  ;D Had some pretty good ribs at the chow hall the other day, though.  Might have been goat.  I count my blessings every day though, and think how much better we have it than those that have gone before.  I salute you.

OK, sorry for the thread drift.  Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
      OFF TOPIC BUT I GOTTA SAY THIS.........
Scott............  When you get home from the sand box and want to go that New York Strip dinner ....... If you will let me know when you get home, I will send you more than enough money to buy DINNER FOR TWO at your chosen eatery  ......  I do so swear this as one veteran to another veteran.  my e mail address is 
[email protected]
Just e mail me your address and watch your mail box...........
God bless you for your service to this nation...................  I honor you for your service and all who serve...
DONT FORGET TO CONTACT ME .... 

Seajay-

You choked me up a little there, my friend.  Veterans should be grateful to you and to people like you who support them in good times and bad.  You're a model for me and I hope to bless other vets the way you bless them.

I'll shoot you an e-mail to continue this conversation. 

Thanks again,
Scott

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom