How Do Gas Prices, Ukraine War, North Korea and Current Items Effect your RV Travel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So even when diesel was $5.50 a gallon....Here's how a quick 4 day 3 night trip to the mountains would shake out. Scenario 1, we take the truck & trailer. Scenario 2, we drive the Camaro up and stay in a hotel. 250 mile round trip. Since we're just discussing whether or not a spike in fuel costs (caused by whatever) or global uncertainties are keeping the RV parked, this model doesn't factor in the cost of the vehicles.

Fuel costs.

Scenario 1. 250 miles / 14 MPG = 17.86 gallons X $5.50= $98.22 in fuel cost.
Scenario 2. 250 miles / 28 MPG = 8.93 gallons X $4.50= $ $40.17 in fuel cost.

Lodging Expenses.

Scenario 1. 3 nights X $35 a night for full hookup spot = $105
Scenario 2. 3 nights at a nice hotel in a resort town = 3X$175= $525

Food & Beer

Scenario 1. Bring our own, $30
Scenario 2, eat out every day and have a beer with dinner 3 X $30= $90

Total costs

Scenario 1 = $232
Scenario 2 = $655

Of course, the intangibles like the fun factor of RVing don't have a monetary value....but they should.
That’s how fuel costs affected me… it did not drive costs prohibitively higher…. especially when I consider the cost of my RV, tow vehicle & mods, other costs going up.

Yes, its more, but in the backdrop of the cost camping as an activity, not material

Some of containing that fuel cost is in my control=slowing down. While I’m using a midsize SUV… my MPGs go from the 13-15MPG range to 17-19 MPG range by simply slowing down to 65MPH.

Last edited:
We just returned from a 3 week trip to Arkansas and Missouri, which included visits to a few tourist-centric towns. Overall I was surprised by general cost increases since our last trip in June, and previous multi-week trip last fall. The effects of inflation everywhere was rather shocking, it was no one thing like cost of gas, it was instead everywhere, with commercial campground prices being up by 30-40%+ vs those same campgrounds when we were there pre-covid, it seems the new norm is $50+ per night for a basic hookup campground (in 3 weeks and 5 commercial full hookup campgrounds only 1 was under $50 per night), vs $30-$35 per night just a couple of years ago. Food prices in restaurants is up across the board also, with at least 4 places where we ate charging higher prices on the bill than were printed on their menus, $25+ per person for lunch at a modest restaurant is quickly becoming the new normal, and under $75 for dinner for 2 is hard to manage, and I am not talking fancy food here. Then comes the cost of the tourist attractions, again it is no one thing, it is everything, $12 per person to ride up an elevator to an observation tower, $25 per hour per person at an axe throwing place, $25-$38 per person tickets to enter zoo like animal sanctuaries (2 of them on the trip), $32 per person for tourist "museum" entry.

Plugshare shows there are two places named "Puerto Peñasco". One in Baja California and the other in Sonora.

Which one are you going to?

I don't see any fast DC charging close to either, so I assume you will be charging with slow AC. Not much of an issue if you're staying overnight where you can charge.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Sonora. But we are fine with just charging overnight. We’ll probably charge the day we arrive and the day we leave. We walk most places when we are there.

The effects of inflation everywhere was rather shocking, it was no one thing like cost of gas, it was instead everywhere,
Because the cost of energy impacts literally the cost of everything. Energy costs are baked into every product and service. Unless you live where wheat is grown, that loaf of bread you're making a sandwich with may have had to travel 1500 miles before it hit your plate.

Eating out is something we used to do frequently, and now it's rare. It's very easy to drop $75 on just a modest dinner now once the tip is factored in. Do that twice a month, and you're spending $1800 a year on eating out. That will buy me a LOT of trips to the mountains in the RV. Besides, Mz. Friz is a pretty good cook.... ;)

Kind of like how gas prices shot up, and most people kept on driving. Holiday travel seemed to be in full-force at the beginning, during, and end of summer.

Greetings,

Please DON'T make this into a political discussion. It simply asks if you plan to travel with the above items happening.

One thing that I consider before traveling is things that may happen while traveling. Gas prices are going up
and there is some threat of the Soviet's launching nukes in their war with Ukraine. North Korea has launched missiles lately. Have you given thought of the difficulties of getting back home (unless full timing), to shortages if you wanted to get back home to where you live. Not a scare tactic but it could be messy trying to get home.

One could drive their car home and store their RV until you could come back to pick it up again. (better mileage).

Might be best to just hunker down until things got better and if things didn't get out of hand before heading home again. Just curious about people's thoughts or if you ever gave it a thought.
The Ukraine war, nor covid, have absolutely anything to do with gas prices in the United States.

Us shutting down our US based production immediately after becoming energy independent just 3 years ago, and now OPEC reducing production, is what you need to worry about.

And it looks like we're in for more price increases at a time of the year prices typically start trending down.... which means we'll be starting the spring cycle, when they typically start going up again, already at a high.

The Ukraine war, nor covid, have absolutely anything to do with gas prices in the United States.

Us shutting down our US based production immediately after becoming energy independent just 3 years ago, and now OPEC reducing production, is what you need to worry about.

And it looks like we're in for more price increases at a time of the year prices typically start trending down.... which means we'll be starting the spring cycle, when they typically start going up again, already at a high.
I agree on the shutting down of US production has greatly affected current prices for gasoline and diesel fuel, but you cant blame producers for shutting down production in 2020 when crude oil was selling for -$40.00 per barrel. Also, the 80% drop in drilling for new oil from November 2018 to August 2020 plays a role too as you cant produce oil in the future if you all but stop drilling for it. Fortunately, drilling for new oil has increased by over 200% since January of 2021.
Another issue affecting gas and diesel prices is the fact that in 2020 oil companies shut down 5 refineries.

Hold on guys, some newcomer with 4 posts just arrived to tell us how this all works and turn the discussion political. We're all supposed to change our minds and question recent historical events and factual data, right?

That’s how fuel costs affected me… it did not drive costs prohibitively higher…. especially when I consider the cost of my RV, tow vehicle & mods, other costs going up.

Yes, its more, but in the backdrop of the cost camping as an activity, not material

Some of containing that fuel cost is in my control=slowing down. While I’m using a midsize SUV… my MPGs go from the 13-15MPG range to 17-19 MPG range by simply slowing down to 65MPH.
I pretty much agree with everything yo say. However once I retired (kind of) I told wife "no more 3-4 day camping trips. When I get "there" and set up I have no intention of tearing everything down and moving or coming home in less that an entire week, preferably two or more. Of coarse if on our war to a final destination we might stop at a reasonable priced camp ground just for the night, in which case I simply plug in, extend whatever slide we need to rest and sleep. Maybe use auto level enough to be able to sleep. We stay hooked up to truck and can be out of there in 15-20 mins in the morning.
Whatever the case may be if we stay a couple weeks the savings of camping to motels is astronomical! A younger friend said "why we retire we're not buying an R/V, we will motel it!" I told him he better have a fat wallet!! The only thing I question is what do you consider a "midsize R/V? The smallest T.T. I ever owned ( have owned 7 Class c's, T.T's and 5 the wheels) was an 28' no slide Jayco T.T. which I towed with a 1/2 ton P.U. Even that small (was WAY too small for us) I'd have to crawl about 40 M.P.H. to average 13-15 mpg!! Just curious.

I agree on the shutting down of US production has greatly affected current prices for gasoline and diesel fuel, but you cant blame producers for shutting down production in 2020 when crude oil was selling for -$40.00 per barrel. Also, the 80% drop in drilling for new oil from November 2018 to August 2020 plays a role too as you cant produce oil in the future if you all but stop drilling for it. Fortunately, drilling for new oil has increased by over 200% since January of 2021.
Another issue affecting gas and diesel prices is the fact that in 2020 oil companies shut down 5 refineries.
The problem with this theory is the oil companies here could boost daily production several million barrels a day and re-open any refineries you claim were closed in a relatively short time if not for restraints place on them early 2021....without getting "political"!

The problem with this theory is the oil companies here could boost daily production several million barrels a day and re-open any refineries you claim were closed in a relatively short time if not for restraints place on them early 2021....without getting "political"!
I agree that oil companies could not boost production several million barrels a day and reopen refineries quickly, but as I said, if you stop drilling for new oil, there will be a big lag when demand increases for crude oil, and when oil companies can meet that demand.
Without getting political, tell me what constraints were placed on oil companies in early 2021?

Gas prices are on the decline, snip
gas has gone up $1.35/gal in the last 3 weeks, its $6.20 right now for the "cheap" stuff. But its not a concern anyway because I only buy gas for the motorcycle and when the price goes up i just drive the car more often.

As far as the OP question I DGAF about either of those 2 countries being morons and their general tomfoolery because i got my retirement orders and now its the next generations problem if they have to deploy because i got 194 days till I'm a civilian.

I agree that oil companies could not boost production several million barrels a day and reopen refineries quickly, but as I said, if you stop drilling for new oil, there will be a big lag when demand increases for crude oil, and when oil companies can meet that demand.
Without getting political, tell me what constraints were placed on oil companies in early 2021?

Don't bait me o'k!!! Admin is just waiting for me to go political and I suspect you know it! Not that I especially care as I say it like it is. I already told admin to delete my act anytime, as I lived before the Rvforum a loooong time and I bet I will after the Reform. To answer your question would be impossible to go into without being political. You have your opinion I have mine. IF you respect mine I will yours, for enough???

gas has gone up $1.35/gal in the last 3 weeks, its $6.20 right now for the "cheap" stuff. But its not a concern anyway because I only buy gas for the motorcycle and when the price goes up i just drive the car more often.

As far as the OP question I DGAF about either of those 2 countries being morons and their general tomfoolery because i got my retirement orders and now its the next generations problem if they have to deploy because i got 194 days till I'm a civilian.
My kind of guy!!!

Don't bait me o'k!!! Admin is just waiting for me to go political and I suspect you know it! Not that I especially care as I say it like it is. I already told admin to delete my act anytime, as I lived before the Rvforum a loooong time and I bet I will after the Reform. To answer your question would be impossible to go into without being political. You have your opinion I have mine. IF you respect mine I will yours, for enough???
Dont confuse opinion with facts.

If you don’t want to post your sources to the masses private message me and PJ the proof of what you say. But if what you said is just your opinion then preface it with that disclaimer.

What amazes me is that in a country like the US we can have a greater than two fold retail price variation on gasoline. Last week driving through Arkansas and Louisiana I saw gas prices at some stations as low as $2.84, though I think the lowest I actually paid was $2.94 due to RV accessibility, timing, etc. and the highest I paid on this 3 week long trip was $3.49 in Missouri. At the same time just look up a few comments at where gas on the west coast is running $6.20 per gallon.

p.s. a quick check of gas buddy shows most stations in my town currently at $3.09 - 3.12

No affect. Our tow vehicle is electric.
So the price of products you have to buy while traveling has not changed a bit? I know with our short daily commutes the increase we have had to pay for gas is minimal to everything we have to buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom