How fast is this guy going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Good road, speed limit 70 MPH, us rolling along at our usual 60 and watching cars/trucks roll by us. Then this guy passes us:

Oh, to be young and invincible again.

That's faster than I'm willing to risk it these days.

I remember seeing 125 on 1968 my Harly Davidson FLCH sportster, back when I was young, dumb and invincible. Now that i'm old and dumb, that is just a memory from my misspent youth.

I recall one week where MSP (MichiganState Police) Did air speed timing on a section ofthe Internstate 696/96 international speedway.. you had to be doing at least 85 to get a ticket to the court room ball. and they wrote 85 tickets.. The winner was doing 105.. that was early in the week with either a plane or a 'copter.. later that same week. other type of aircraft, same stats. and why do I think it was the same idiot doing 105?
Just had one hit 125 not far from my house (last week) MSP got him too.

It's been 10 years since the 142 MPH towing speed record. Does it still hold?

That guy was doing 15-20 mph faster than you. I've passed RVs at that speed difference before.
I ride a touring bike. A few months ago, one of my non-riding friends was amazed that I would ride the interstate "on that sickle". When I told him that I set the cruise at 80 and lean back and enjoy the ride down I-10, he said, "You do realize that your on a sickle, right"?
Some people get it....some don't.

Ahh the younger days..... There was only adrenaline junkie me and superman,,, but I had to watch out for him because he was old. High school yearbook someone wrote "Not expected to celebrate 30th year birthday", but here I am. Unfortunately when I get out of bed in the mornings my joints sound like bubble wrap popping.

I'm in that club too, WOT redline around 120. Pondered that I was passing people at the same speed that they were going, like they were standing still. You start to think about how all it takes is a piece of tire in the road, someone deciding to change lanes, or any of the myriad things that could happen you wouldn't have time to react and you're a grease spot. "There are old motorcycle riders, there are bold motorcycle riders, but no old, bold motorcycle riders." Odds are against you, why push your luck (says the old version of me). Now I get that same thrill in my class A passing a dually pulling a fiver doing 62mph.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
Seems there was plenty area around him, my guess 100. I get worried when they are weaving through traffic, that's when _____ happens. I don't hard twist the throttle on my F6B unless on a certain hwy I am familiar with. I won't incriminated myself with posting speeds.

There are a bunch of YouTube videos going around right now that have a cam recorder on the rider of a motorcycle. The videos are just plain irritating. He deliberately taunts a police car, and then speeds up. The camera shows he's now doing speeds of more than 120 mph, back to 100, up to 120 or more. Of course, the police car can never catch up with him.... but DEATH WILL. I wonder if they'll put the crash on YouTube when it happens?

When I was 17 years old I was on a 1000 miles road trip from Indianapolis to Dallas, Texas on my motorcycle. I was somewhere in Arkansas on an interstate doing 70 mph when I had a sudden blow out on the rear tire (thank goodness it was the rear). I immediately lost control (mostly), but ended up off the road, down the embankment, over a ditch and ended up flinging into a barbed wire fence that kept me from flipping the motorcycle, being propelled off the motorcycle, and ended saving the motorcycle from damage, except for a few scratches from the barbed wire.

I had a tangled mess getting that barbed wire off me, the motorcycle, from around the motor cycle wheels, and my gear packed behind me.

I was finally able to get the motorcycle out and my gear was wedged between the rear tire and the fender and chain. I had to get all that cleared and was able to start the engine and walk it back to the road. And there I sat.

I evaluated my situation and saw a really, really old gas station at the bottom of the hill / incline, and walked the motorcycle with the flat tire and the engine running (about 3/4 of a mile).

It was no longer a gas station, but the guy who owned the shack did odd repair jobs. All I needed was 2 tire tools to remove the tire. I had all the other tools to remove the wheel and I found out all I needed was an old fashioned bicycle patch for a bicycle inner tube. I'd patched several tires myself at my uncle's gas station back home. He had what I needed. He didn't even want any money for the patch. I thanked him, got aired up and on my way.

To this day, I'm still shaking my head at what "could" have happened. Although I was perfectly legal at 70 mph, I never went that fast again. The rest of the trip was uneventful. (well ... almost uneventful).

So ya, it's quite obvious that idiot in that video doesn't realize the danger he's putting himself and other in.

Last edited:
Going at those speeds makes it even more difficult to see a motorcycle, particularly when all dressed in black. If someone pulls over to the right as Mark B says, then it is game over.

I remember someone checking out my bike with the extended front end 10Ā° rake, 18" front wheel, 16" harley on the rear, coffin tank, smoked windshield, king and queen seats, etc. etc. - well they looked the instrumentation cluster and after checking out the speedometer; "OMG You can do 140 miles per hour!?!?" My answer was, "No, my speedometer can do 140 miles per hour, NOT me!"

I was young and foolish as most are. And at times a dry flat straight road with no traffic I'd crank up to 100 - and I did love doing the twists and turns on mountains while pushing too fast around blind corners - it was always fun, foolish and survived.

One morning around sunrise back in the late 1980's coming into the town where I live a soldier from the nearby army base was fleeing a state trooper on I think a Kawasaki Ninja motorcycle, he was doing 139 when the state trooper lost him. As you get into town the single expanse 4 lane highway forks apart into a pair of one way streets with a was station in the triangular wedge between them. It was at this point he failed to negociate the fork in the road, hit the curb and then he snapped a power pole in half, and the motorcycle came to a stop within inches of the door of the gas station. I drove by the scene of the accident shortly thereafter, just as the first emergency vehicles were arriving. Rumor has it he still had a pulse when the ambulance arrived.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom