How important to you is In-Motion service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
We often watch TV in the evening when we're camping. but we've never felt the need to have in-motion TV service. I've heard from others that they have in-motion service to record shows that they can't watch while traveling, and I've heard that others have in-motion service so their kids can watch TV while traveling, but I was wondering how important in-motion service is to most RVers. If you have it, do you use it? Do you think it's worth the cost? Thanks

Kev

We bought Rosie used and she came with a Winegard in motion system and we’ve never used it. Frankly, we never even explored it as to what it can do. If anything is airing that we really want to see, we pull over and watch it. Our interests are mostly sports (Laura more so than myself… I’m a lucky man.)

I had it. Never used it. Cancelled Dish and went with FMCA TechConnect+.

I find that my Verizon portable Hotspot with FireTV works very well to get TV anywhere my Hotspot will work. I see nothing but advantages to FireTV to over OTA TV. A lot less advertising and can stop and rewind and do not have to worry about repeats. Select the episode you want to watch.

I now even use Fire Stick TV at both of my homes as wella s in both RVs.

-Don- Auburn, CA

We stream almost everything, though very occasionally use the crank up over the air antenna when we are somewhere with poor cell reception, though have not done so in a couple of years now.

I have one on the Bus, and on the Phaeton and never used either while in motion. Now with Starlink I haven't used the dish in over a year. And I am using a new App a buddy turned me on to. FOS TV. FOS stands for "Future of Streaming". $44 bucks a month and stream anything you can imagine. I downloaded the app onto my Firestick. He watched the new Top Gun movie within days of it's release.

Full timer and this is how I roll.
Cell phones are T-Mobile.
Hot spot is AT&T. Primary internet source.
Starlink for backup internet.
Garmin RV for navigation.
RV TRIP WIZARD for trip planning and route vetting.

Yes internet on the move is a nice to have but in all honesty not a deal breaker. I have the tools to get me to my next destination. From there if need be I can put up Starlink.

We had "in motion" years ago and found it intermittent and interrupted due to tree's. and other obstacles while moving,, with no kids we didn't need it.. You might want it if you had a chauffeur and were bored while traveling..>>>Dan

Our last rig had a Winegard setup for in-motion dish service but we never used it. So far, we've tried to get away from watching a lot of TV on the road, but most of our trips are shorter. We're coming up on a long one and maybe we'll get bored enough for TV, more than just tuning into a local air channel for the weather and some headlines over breakfast? Our new rig doesn't have a dish on top and it's not something we're really looking to add--yet.

We've never had it and wouldn't use it if we did. The Beaver we used to have came with a King Dome which was supposed to have in-motion, but it needed an expensive software/hardware update to work at all, so we replaced it with a Trav'ler.

Most phones and plans come with hotpot capability. My att plan provides it. Today we're camping and DGF is doing a little work on her laptop, using my phone's hotspot. I'm using the phone too, infact writing this post, no cost for a separate hotspot. Then pick the streaming services that suit

We can stream off if it too, but also download content to my iPad to watch.

Never felt the need to view or record while in motion. One of our traveling companions did - the woman was an avid tv van and either watched or recorded a bunch of shows. Even though she loved scenery, she would grumble if our route took us through narrow valleys or under trees where the signal got lost. These days she would probably be streaming rather than satellite (but she passed away in 2014).

My GPS tells me where to go, and my FM radio let's me listen to music and news.
That's about as "In Motion" as I need.

Yet another person who has never had in-motion television, and never really wanted it. Daytime television is pretty odd anyway, even on satellites. If, for some reason, we wanted to watch an internet show (maybe grandkids?), it would be more likely using a hot spot.

Or... DVD player (or VHS - LOL, I prefer BetaMax or 8mm) ... or cheap laptop with HDMI to media system/TV with downloaded movies/series.

I really wouldn't want to listen to commercials in the background as I'm driving... I need Country for the DW and Hard Rock when tying to put on miles to get somewhere -> which, for us would be anything over 150 in a day.

I use Sling for streaming.On the road now and checked it on my tablet and it has my show in the DVR.I had YouTube TV before sling and it also had dvr.
As long as you have internet service you can watch it anytime.

We have DirecTV and never (twelve plus years) found the need for in motion. Now we have no kids or we are not John Madden traveling the country with a driver. The one thing we do is make sure there is line of sight for the Winegard Trav'er o get the satellites before we set up.

Back
Top Bottom