How to measure tread depth on a tire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HikerBob

The front end is out of alignment and tire is wearing uneven. I'm not sure how to measure the tire depth. There is a raised area in the bottom of the groove. Do I measure to the top of it or the bottom?

Attachments

• PXL_20220805_135959776.jpg
    PXL_20220805_135959776.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 10
There 2020 tires. This front tire is worn more on the outside. Should I move this tire to the back?

If tire is worn on both sides more than the middle, it is likely under inflated.
If it is worn on one side more that the other, you have an alignment problem.

And, if you have an alignment problem, of course, you want to fix that before worrying about replacing a tire.

There 2020 tires. This front tire is worn more on the outside. Should I move this tire to the back?
I wouldn't bother unless there is a substantial difference.

Moving a tire off the front is a based on the old notion that a tire failure is more risky if it occurs on a front (steer) wheel than the rear. Probably some truth there, but if you think the wear is enough to make the tire unsafe, then it shouldn't be used in any position. And if it's safe to use, it's ok on the front.

In any case, if the wear is uneven, you need to fix the alignment problem first. Otherwise you just wear yet another tire.

I wouldn't bother unless there is a substantial difference.

Moving a tire off the front is a based on the old notion that a tire failure is more risky if it occurs on a front (steer) wheel than the rear. Probably some truth there, but if you think the wear is enough to make the tire unsafe, then it shouldn't be used in any position. And if it's safe to use, it's ok on the front.

In any case, if the wear is uneven, you need to fix the alignment problem first. Otherwise you just wear yet another tire.
The reason why he should move it to the back is because it would even the wear out. The tire looks completely safe.

The front end is out of alignment and tire is wearing uneven. I'm not sure how to measure the tire depth. There is a raised area in the bottom of the groove. Do I measure to the top of it or the bottom?
How many miles do the tires have being on the front. It is a little hard to tell by the pic but it does not look all that bad and quite often vehicles will wear the outside edge of the front tires a little even if it is aligned especially if you are driving on roads that have a lot of turns or are crowned.

But if he has 6k on the tires it would be due for a rotation anyway so it would mean the same in another 6K.
Sooooo are you saying the OP should just leave it alone, rotate the tires and not try to find out why it wore the way it did?

This front tire is worn more on the outside. Should I move this tire to the back?
Part of the answer depends on what the tires are on. Car tires are normally rotated and the same is true for my single rear tire truck. I have never owned a dualy truck so have no experience there. On both of our class A rigs the tire shop agreed that rotation was not justified but part of that is due to the fact that RV tires rarely ever reach the rated mileage before they are replaced due to age. If we are talking about a motorhome I would only rotate if the problem is severe and I'd also have the alignment checked. From experience I can also tell you that worn balljoints in the front will also cause uneven wear. How old is the vehicle the tires are on and how many miles are on the tires and the total on the vehicle?

To check tread wear the following comes from the Direct Tire website.
Perform the penny test by placing a penny into the tread groove with President Lincoln’s head upside down. If you can see the top of Lincoln’s head, the tires are completely worn out and need to be replaced stat. If Honest Abe’s head is covered, then your tires still have more than 2/32nds of tread.

Keep in mind, even if your tires pass the penny test, they might still be worn below 4/32nds, at which point safety and performance are diminished.

Back
Top Bottom