I-85 through Atlanta closed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LarsMac said:
I can't help but wonder how they managed to complete it so fast.
I believe I will stay with 285 on my trip through Atlanta.

Around 100 workers on the project. 10 inspectors on site at all times. 3 shifts, working 24/7. Yup, weekends too. Those workers have racked up a LOT of overtime. This stretch of road is one of the most inspected in the nation.

The reason this seems fast is because of how other projects are done. Normal is for a company to get contracts for more projects than they have workers to cover. Then they move the workers around, without fully manning any one job. And they usually only work day shift on weekdays. All because those contracts pay what they pay, whether they get done on time or late.

With the money waved in front of their faces for early completion, the bosses decided to go all out on the manpower. Just the 3 shifts cut the time in thirds. Then toss in weekends and being fully manned... early completion bonuses work!

[edit] The weather helped too. Only 1 day lost to rain.

srs713 said:
Around 100 workers on the project. 10 inspectors on site at all times. 3 shifts, working 24/7. Yup, weekends too. Those workers have racked up a LOT of overtime. This stretch of road is one of the most inspected in the nation.

The reason this seems fast is because of how other projects are done. Normal is for a company to get contracts for more projects than they have workers to cover. Then they move the workers around, without fully manning any one job. And they usually only work day shift on weekdays. All because those contracts pay what they pay, whether they get done on time or late.

With the money waved in front of their faces for early completion, the bosses decided to go all out on the manpower. Just the 3 shifts cut the time in thirds. Then toss in weekends and being fully manned... early completion bonuses work!

[edit] The weather helped too. Only 1 day lost to rain.

OK. Thanks. I feel much better about it. I do use that section when coming up through Atlanta on the way to visit folks in the Alpharetta.

One of the things people keep talking about is that the tubing and other materials that were stored under the bridge are not very flammable. What everyone is missing is that the tubing is on large WOODEN spools! Those spools caught fire, burned hot enough to ignite the other materials, and that is why the fire was so hot and burned so long.

I'm glad it's over. And many, many utility agencies across the nation are looking at their own stored materials now.

Lou Schneider said:
And when the wooden reels burn, they create a chimney effect through the middle of the stored material.  Can you say instant rocket stove?

Yup!

Just looking at a Google Maps image from before the fire you can see the stacks of wooden reels. Dozens of rocket stoves waiting to be lit.

Attachments

• atlantafire.jpg
    atlantafire.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Google Street View.jpg
    Google Street View.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 17
Road is reopened in record time..... 6 Weeks from the date of the fire....[size=12pt][size=14pt][/size][/size]

Back
Top Bottom