IPad with app vs dedicated GPS nav device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magothy1

I’m not too up to speed on this sort of thing. I’m hoping to do a trip from South Carolina to Montana mid June with my Cameo 5th wheel behind my RAM 3500 dually. I’m trying to decide on a nav system. I have an 8th gen iPad, and I get online via my iPhone hot spot. Anyone running a nav system with this set up, and which app do you use ?

I’ve thought about a newer iPad with its own GPS receiver, but wonder if I’d have to sign it up on its own plan with Verizon to make that work. I have Verizon now on the iPhone. Any suggestions from anyone who’s been down this route are appreciated.

There‘s some choices in nav apps. Who’s used which/what and would you use it again if starting over, knowing what you do now ? I’m not going to RV travel full time, so the expense of a dedicated nav device is something I’d like to avoid.
How about mounting the iPad in the truck ? I’ve seen some nifty things for using the cup holders as a base for a phone mount, but haven’t done any looking yet for something to use with an iPad. I have a case with a keyboard now, can’t recall the name.

I made this trip last year in just the truck. My route was from Fairfax, SC, to Atlanta, up to Chattanoga, to St. Louis, to Kansas Ciry, then north then west to Forsyth, Montana. This year I think I’ll go thru Atlanta to Birmingham, to Tupelo, to Helena West Helena, then north to Jonesboro, Springfield, Kansas City, then Sioux Falls, then west to Forsyth. Anyone been along that route, any suggestions on “to avoids ?” I avoid Memphis like the plague, like drug resistant STD’s, like warm beer and/or cold breakfast and wet socks. I’ve crossed the river at Helena West Helena. It means running some back roads, but truck traffic around Memphis on I-40 is a nightmare, to me.

Thanks,
Steve in SC

You have to remember, if you use an "App" either on an I-pad, a smart phone / cell phone, or a computer you must have an internet connection.

Most interstates are pretty consistent with receiving phone reception, but there are still occasional dead zones. If you travel off the main roads, you may find yourself in a dead zone when you need GPS the most.

We use our Samsung phones with Google Maps or Bing Maps. But we also have a Tom-Tom GPS. Tom-Tom (or a Garmin) does not depend upon phone signals, but on satellites. Although not perfect and there are some limitations, for good navigation, a Garmin or a Tom-Tom works pretty good, especially if you don't want to burn up your phone data plan.

We use both. The Tom Tom is always running (no charge or service fees for using that) and when we need a cross reference, will flip on the phone App.

I have an 8th gen iPad, and I get online via my iPhone hot spot. Anyone running a nav system with this set up, and which app do you use ?
Apparently your iPad doesn't have a built-in GPS, so I'd get a Bad Elf plug-in GPS (designed for the iPad). While my Bad Elf plugs in to the lightning port, it appears that the newer ones use Bluetooth, allowing you to have multiple iDevices using it at the same time, and one model even uses both GPS and Glonass (the Russian version):

If you se Google Maps there is a way of downloading a map of your whole trip. But you would still need a GPS locator. But those are even built into watches these days.

There are several ways to get GPS to work on a Wi-Fi only iPad. Google it if you want to go in that direction. (Pun intended)

The real plus to using an iPhone/iPad or android device is that you never have to buy the stinkin' yearly updates!

You will probably want to be plugged in to a charger When using any navigation app.

Edit. Only iPads with the cellular data chip get data directly from the satellites. They all have GPS location but the ones using a hot spot don't get it from the satellites and rely on cellular service.

I believe all iPads have a GPS in them, it's called location services. Apps take the GPS location information and make a GUI (Graphical User Interface) - what you see on the screen. Cellular data is needed to keep up with the updates as the map info is not stored on the iPad. Garmin and others do store the app and maps on the device, all they need is GPS data from the satellite. The iPad can either have cellular data capability on it's own or get it from a hot spot.

Last edited:
If you travel along interstates with continuous data service available, an app could work. You would need to get one with settings for an RV though (height, length, weight) to get appropriate routing. Be aware that these services eat up data quickly, and they also use lots of power. We just find it much easier to buy a stand alone RV GPS like the Garmin 890 we have now (895 is the newer version). Easy to set up, easy to read, works in areas without adequate cellular data service, free updates. I guess we just like the more rural areas, and data service is hard to come by in our favorite places.

The thing I hate about Garmin is for example in Dallas ( or anywhere for that matter) when you're on say 635 needing to exit in 15 miles or so onto 75 ( central expressway) N. The Garmin isn't giving you distance to that exit but distance to some curve or major off ramp which is irrelevant, warning you ( just in case you're a moron) not to go driving your RV off the interstate and across a grassy field, but instead you should just follow the road. For a first time traveler to the area, in bumper to bumper city traffic with 6 lanes on each side knowing when you need to start moving toward that outside lane is vital. Only 3 miles away sometimes is too late. Beats hell out of Waze though, I deleted that app after one trip. For local navigation however I prefer google maps.

Last edited:
They all have GPS location but the ones using a hot spot don't get it from the satellites and rely on cellular service.
I don't know if it's still true, but when I bought mine the cellular-capable iPads actually have GPS built in to them. The ones without cellular service capability don't have the GPS built in, though the apps, maps, etc. can do mapping from locations derived from other sources. That's the reason I got the version with cell capablities because I really wanted the independent GPS. It's handy when you're off road in the desert, for example, to pinpoint your actual location, even where nothing else is available.

Sure, I also have a stand alone GPS but there's no way to feed it to the iPad, and the app I use (Topo Maps) lets me store the route I travel so that I can come back years later and follow the same route. It also lets me zoom waaay in on its map to see magnified terrain and pinpoint a turn in the washes so that I don't hit the wrong wash.

I couldn't do all that with the non-cell version.

The appeal of using a tablet or PC as navigation is alluring, almost enchanting. I fell for it last year on a 3K mile trip through the ozarks. My class A has four wheel drive but not the 4 wheels you need when you let google route you. I'm here to tell you there are many locations you will need navigation help but you will have zero bars. Gas stations/travel centers no longer have area maps. Downloading the maps to your phone ahead of time only helps so much - they have limited navigation help even when being used live much less offline. For those that never leave the interstate or urban areas maybe these navigation apps work OK. Game over, thanks for playing when you travel to the hinterlands. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, get a real GPS and back it up with a printed trucker's atlas. People will sometimes kvetch about how a Garmin led them down a primrose path once, but in my years of using various Garmin units I would gladly take my chances with that than the crapola that passes for navigation on cell phones. As a backup/supplement to a Garmin the navigation apps are a good idea, but not as primary. Proud owner of a new 1090 and it does everything I could ever want and more (like extensive CG/park database, displaying wireless cams). There's a reason they're for sale, and people buy them - because they work.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The last GPS stand-alone I had did, it Was a Tom-Tom.
I had a TomTom with lifetime updates, but eventually they wouldn't provide updates unless I unpdated to a newer device.

You're right about Garmin. I've had a Garmin with lifetime updates for a 12 +/- years, and updated it a couple of weeks ago. Bought a different used/renewed/refurbished Garmin a few weeks ago, and was able to update the maps using the same desktop app used to update the other Garmin.

I'm a big believer of my phone and Google maps. I do use Google earth on the laptop to check the route prior to departure for obstacles, gas stations, and large climbs. Google maps has been good on 2 occasions where an RV park recommended a specific route to take, both times Google took us on the recommended path. Times that you need to be aware is when taking alternate routes for traffic or weather. Don't do it unless you have first hand knowledge of the areas roads. I plug the phone into the RV radio and turn the screen off (unless I need it) and listen to google tell my the directions. When we get off the main roads near our destinations, in unfamiliar territory, I turn the screen back on, and set the radio to aux to listen to the directions over the RV speakers. This has worked for over 10years.

I'm a big believer of my phone and Google maps. I do use Google earth on the laptop to check the route prior to departure for obstacles, gas stations, and large climbs. Google maps has been good on 2 occasions where an RV park recommended a specific route to take, both times Google took us on the recommended path. Times that you need to be aware is when taking alternate routes for traffic or weather. Don't do it unless you have first hand knowledge of the areas roads. I plug the phone into the RV radio and turn the screen off (unless I need it) and listen to google tell my the directions. When we get off the main roads near our destinations, in unfamiliar territory, I turn the screen back on, and set the radio to aux to listen to the directions over the RV speakers. This has worked for over 10years.
google maps is ok, but requires service unless one downloads a map file ( for temporary use )
Having been burnt by that alone, I now use Magic Earth maps. I have downloaded the entire mainland USA and Canada to my phone and can navigate without service just like a GPS unit. when in range of service the app can check for map updates and update them as necessary. It's a good alternative to a dedicated gps unit.

I'm a big believer in standalone (satellite) GPS units, especially since I've used them offshore on boats for many years. But, when we first had our current SUV (Explorer), I told my other half that the built-in GPS seemed to be the best and most accurate GPS we've used on the road. Then she told me it was actually her phone connecting with the in-dash monitor.

Regarding the 'standalone' and backup part of the equation which I fully support and agree with...

If you get an iPad with cellular you don't need a sim card for the GPS to work. Some navigation apps work this way... i.e. work without cell coverage. But I don't know which ones are suitable for RV's. My personal experience is with Navionics which I used on an iPad in a waterproof case in the open ocean. I had the same software on two iPhones as backup. I did have to sit in bars before departing to download the charts from wifi before setting off, this process sometimes took all night... :)

I also have a Garmin InReach and a Garmin Quatix watch so a total of 5 ways to navigate or find a position.

With a bit of luck someone will have something that works on land so I can use my iPad and not have an expensive dedicated dash mounted navigation solution.

Regards Steven

The thing I hate about Garmin is for example in Dallas ( or anywhere for that matter) when you're on say 635 needing to exit in 15 miles or so onto 75 ( central expressway) N. The Garmin isn't giving you distance to that exit but distance to some curve or major off ramp which is irrelevant...
Aha, irrelevant to you perhaps... ;)

While I get what you're saying, to me the more info the better. My Copilot is using a GPS capable tablet and I'm looking at the Garmin. She and Google says the next turn is 9 miles out while the Garmin says its 2 miles. Quick check reveals, as you mentioned, the Garmin is seeing something it considers as a note worthy point in the route, while Google is ignoring it. Works for me once you get used to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom