IPad with app vs dedicated GPS nav device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aha, irrelevant to you perhaps... ;)

While I get what you're saying, to me the more info the better. My Copilot is using a GPS capable tablet and I'm looking at the Garmin. She and Google says the next turn is 9 miles out while the Garmin says its 2 miles. Quick check reveals, as you mentioned, the Garmin is seeing something it considers as a note worthy point in the route, while Google is ignoring it. Works for me once you get used to it.
Not sure if that's a ringing endorsement for Garmin. I could just pull off and get a shot of the noon sun, as long as I can tell what the exact time at the Royal Observatory is, thanks to a good chronometer, I can fix my longitude and it's all good. Who needs a Garmin anyway?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I’ve used the iPhone on some trips, but when I’m alone the doggone screen is just too small to mess with in city traffic. I took a lovely Saturday night tour thru downtown Birmingham, Alabama because I was in the wrong lane.

I was a shrimper in South Carolina for 40+ years, the early loran plotters were good, but the newer software running GPS on a laptop was the Ritz. A bigger screen is nice.

I’ll read and re-read all this and study some more. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help. I’ve used the iPhone on some trips, but when I’m alone the doggone screen is just too small to mess with in city traffic. I took a lovely Saturday night tour thru downtown Birmingham, Alabama because I was in the wrong lane.

I was a shrimper in South Carolina for 40+ years, the early loran plotters were good, but the newer software running GPS on a laptop was the Ritz. A bigger screen is nice.

I’ll read and re-read all this and study some more. Thanks again.
I don't know anything about Birmingham, Alabama but the same thing happened to me once in St Louis. Believe me, you don't want to just be randomly cruising through St Louis.

Back
Top Bottom