Irish Visitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks so much to everyone for all the hints and tips.  They are so valuable to us.  We have seen so many wonderful places already that we may have missed without this forum. 

This is our last night in New Mexico.  We have loved this state as much as we loved Texas.  Carlsbad caverns were amazing, we went twice... once through the elevator and once through the natural entrance. But the highlight of this part of our trip was the White Sands National Monument. Absolutely stunning place.

We stumbled across a lovely RV park in Deming.  Hidden Valley Ranch.  It has so much wildlife, is so quiet, and so full of lovely scenery.  But tomorrow we head to Arizona.  Im really looking forward to it.  Will be taking all your advice about Tuscon, Tombestone and the national parks in the area. 

www.freerangetravels.blogspot.com

Attachments

• ar.jpg
    ar.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 24
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 18
Hi Hazel,

So glad you enjoyed NM especially White Sands. The photos on your blog were great!!! Pat will really enjoy seeing them when she returns Sunday. I've been without adult supervision for 10 days but have managed to stay out of trouble. :) I tried to break the trend but it didn't work! ;D

Hope you visit Tombstone and the surounding area.  We stayed at Tombstone Territories campground which is pretty much centrally located between Tombstone and Kartchner Caverns.  Also not too far from Bisby.

While visiting Tombstone take Gleason rd out South of Tombstone about ten miles and watch for signs to the rattlesnake guys place.  Interesting place to visit.  The largest wind chime in the country made up of antiques.  The lady in the tourist information office can give you directions I am sure.

Ron said:
While visiting Tombstone take Gleason rd out South of Tombstone about ten miles and watch for signs to the rattlesnake guys place.  Interesting place to visit.  The largest wind chime in the country made up of antiques.  The lady in the tourist information office can give you directions I am sure.

That would be Gleason Road (spelled Gleeson in SA but I don't think that's right) just on the southern edge of town. When we took it 4 years ago they were in the process of ruining it. They were paving the road!!! The rattlesnake man is about 13 1/2 miles out Gleason Rd. Somewhere I have a video of that wind chime when the wind was really blowing. :)

We were just there in Feb and your right they ruined the road.  The mileage I gave was starting from the Y at the edge of town where Gleason Rd continues on off to the right.  That was another fun trip when we were out there together.

cool.  right now we are in bisby.  We stopped back up the road a bit and walked into Mexico through the check point.  Spent 30 minutes walking around the Mexican shops, got bored, and headed back to America, lol.  We are staying in Queens Mine RV Park, which is a tad expensive but is set in a nice location.  Will probably head to Tombestone tomorrow.

Hazel,

Did you cross the border from Douglas, AZ?? That area is known for the highest drug running and illegals anywhere! It is not a town that caters to foreigners. I have never seen so many Border Patrol vehicles anywhere else.

If you cross into Algodones just across the CA border from Yuma you will see a completely different town. Lots of places for discount prescription drugs, dental care, eye glasses, and tons of "stuff" to buy.

yeah, from douglas.  amazingly the woman who worked in the tourist info was promoting it to  everyone.  she insisted it was a safe place, not to be missed.  Steve met some people last night who said the same as you did Jim.  I Wonder why the douglas tourist board are promoting that point into mexico as the safest place to cross?

Hazel,

Not sure why the tourist bureau is promoting it. Perhaps it is safe to walk around during the day but we found few who would speak English Of course, it's been several years since we've been there so things could have changed.

HI all, again,

We will be entering southern California tomorrow from Yuma via the I8.  we have gotten here a lot quicker than expected and I have no idea yet where to visit.  Anyone got any good suggestions or tips for things we should see while we are here?  We we be leaving CA on our way to Las Vegas and the Grand canyon.  Will visit northern CA at the end of our trip, but not for another 3 months.

Thanks
Hazel

I would suggest going to Algodones, Mexico just west of Yuma for nice border town.  You will see a sign for the exit to Algodones within a few miles after you enter CA.  Also Anza Borrrego State Park west of the Salton Sea on State Hwy 22.  The drive to Borrego Springs is awesome.  Another place that I think all of you would enjoy would be Joshua Tree National Park north of I-10.  Hopefully the flowers at Joshua Tree will be in full bloom.  Your blog and the pictures are really great.

Hi Hazel,

There is the Old Yuma Territorial Prison just on the west side. Kind of interesting. As Lorna mentioned Algodones, Mexico is on the way west. There is some boon docking available just off the Interstate but it is a short drive to the border. Parking is available. Cost was $3/car but don't know what an RV would cost. You can walk across the border easily. It's the town I mentioned earlier in a message with lots of "stuff" for sale. Much more interesting than Agua Prieta.

Just west of Yuma is the Sand Dunes. There are acres and acres of sand that make it look more like the Sahara. Lots of RV's there as it is a huge area for ATV's. It is also very close to the border so you will see Border Patrol quite often. The kids might like to stop for a little while and compare the difference of that sand to Florida's Emerald Coast and White Sands.

Not sure if any of the forum members that live in Yuma are at home. If so perhaps they can give you additional suggestions.

I must say, reading your blog, you certainly have an uncanny knack of finding some real jewels in our country. The way you have been able to interact with complete strangers certainly has enhanced your trip and, hopefully, made you some good friends. Maybe the next time we travel across the country we should have you tag along!!! ;D ;D

Once you have passed the sand dunes you might want to consider a trip north to Anza Borrego State Park. Borrego Springs is a little town in the middle of this park. There are a couple of campgrounds and also some boon docking areas. I think you might enjoy the area but getting off road will be difficult with your rig. Unfortunately I don't think you could make the trip to Font's Point which is quite spectacular. You would also have to keep a really close watch on the kids as it is possible to take one step too far at the cliffs.

There is a neat ride up S22 west out of Borrego Springs that climbs over 3000'. Spectacular view over the valley. You would have to drive to the top and turn around to see it all. Downhill is on the outside of the cliff. Be sure to use lower gears coming down!!! There are a few pull offs on the down side.

I hope others will give you some good suggestions.

Jim

I forgot about the sand dunes west of Yuma and glad you thought of them.

Lorna said:
Jim

I forgot about the sand dunes west of Yuma and glad you thought of them.

They are quite the sight!!! Hey, we can't remember all of it. That's why we are all here!!! ;D ;D

I don't recall exactly where it is but on the way to San Diego, there is a railroad museum.  I have not been there but one of the guys on another forum, workcamped there last winter.  In San Diego, there is the Maritime Museum with the dailing ships, a Russian submarine etc.  There is balboa Park with the zoo, the space muzeum.  East of San Diego is the Wild Animal park.  I'm not sure aboout Pt. Loma any more as it has been a while.

Further north is Disney land and the CA Adventure Park.  Just a few quick ones!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSRTECH
Back
Top Bottom