Is 1080p really necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect this whole discussion is a tempest in a teapot.  Probably nobody over 50 can even discern 720 lines,
Good point, Gary :D I did notice a better picture on Ned's newer monitor, but my reason for replacing the old t.v. was so I wouldn't have a 50lb. chunk of glass falling on my head when my Ford 460 accelerated too fast!  ;D ; DNote: Bought the t.v but haven't installed it yet.

markw said:
..Why? Because I could see the difference..

This from the LCD TV Buying Guide referenced above:  

"In order to perform a fair test of 1080i vs. 1080p we sent participants out of the room after having shown them the DVDs with both resolutions several times. Then we called them back in with one of the resolutions displaying and asked them whether it was the 1080p or 1080i signal. We repeated this process 10 times and, guess what? They had no clue and could not differentiate at all between the two. This feedback came from a team who knows TVs."

Perhaps you could "rent your eyes" to the industry folks - for future testing.   ;D  

I think my question has been answered (and suspicions confirmed).  Thanks folks.....bill

Bill,

When I've looked at displays in stores and seen ones that are far superior to the others, I've made a point of asking what/where they were fed from and had the folks show me the source. I'm over 50 but I can see a very definite difference with 1080i and again with 1080p. I suggest you or your neighbor visit a store such as Best Buy or Fry's that has a large number of TVs on display and also have separate "viewing rooms" set up.

One caveat - a pet beef of mine for many years has been the poor setup of TVs in stores that made it tough to compare one model vs another.

Tom said:
..I'm over 50 but I can see a very definite difference with 1080i and again with 1080p..

Good that you can - tho when the "pros" can't it's hard to believe that you can.

ONCE AGAIN - I'm satisfied that my original question has been answered and folks are starting to drift from the subject and I'm getting irritated.

Let's drop it, OK?.....bill

Whiskyecho said:
...'m getting irritated.

Bill, nobody is forcing you to read the messages here; It's entirely your choice. If the discussion irritates you, don't read them. We're really a friendly group of folks who have been chatting online for many years. We try to keep on topic, but for many of us it's sometimes easy to digress. Occasionally someone will get out a 2x4 and slap us on the side of the head, but I don't see a lot of digression in this topic.

In case you hadn't noticed, we don't always (often) agree with each other, but we still respect each other's opinions. None of us is an expert in everything, and some of us are experts in nothing. But the collective knowledge and experience here, with a liberal helping of opinion, is what makes folks keep coming back.

Let's drop it, OK?

As I said, your choice, but it's tough to do that when, in the same message, you say:

when the "pros" can't it's hard to believe that you can.

As I said in my first response, folks' perception of what's a good or better picture will vary.

OK, I think we're confusing the issues here!  We're confusing the transmission type (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) with the resolution of the display.  A 720p transmission has 720 "bits" of vertical information in each frame while 1080i has 540 "bit"s of information since i stands for interlaced and simply means that it takes two frames to form a complete picture. 1080p, on the other hand, has all 1080 "bits" of information in each frame.

A typical 1080p set has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 while a good 720p/1080i set has a resolution of 1366 x768.  When you display a 1080i picture on the 720p display, the set has to interpolate the picture and loses some resolution.  This, of course, is more apparent to some folks than others and is certainly dependent on the quality of received image.

Also available now are more and more upconverting DVD players that combine interlaced frames in the player and send them to the display as 1080p.

Al

Al, that was what I was trying to say when I said the TV resamples the 1080i to display it on the 1366x768 screen.  Your explanation is more detailed, thanks.

Ron said:
Plasma TV/s do not do well in the RV.  especially at altitude.  Also have never seen a plasma that even began to compare to an LCD.

Sorry Ron, but IMHO our plasma (in the house, not the coach) will do as well or better than any large LCD. If you ever get to Phoenix, I'll be glad to show you :D :D  We are in full agreement about plasma not being suitable for RV purposes.

BernieD said:
Sorry Ron, but IMHO our plasma (in the house, not the coach) will do as well or better than any large LCD. If you ever get to Phoenix, I'll be glad to show you :D :D  We are in full agreement about plasma not being suitable for RV purposes.

The picture quality could very well be a personal thing.  I based my statement on my own comparison between the LCD and the plasma compared at Fry's and I believe it was circuit city.  While the conditions in stores are not the best everything has the same advantages or dis advantages.

AlGriefer said:

There are a number of "confusions" here  1)  The public slapping of my hand by the admin'r,  2)  A foolish statement reference Plasma displays,  3)  A couple of folks that "think" they can tell the difference in picture quality between 1080p and 720p when it's been documented that even the "pros" cannot do so, 4)  and the digression from the request for information that I originally posted when I started this thread.....bill

I'm not convinced that a "Pro" has any advantage over a layman when it comes to 'what looks good'. Whatever an individuals' perception of a 'better' picture is, is all that matters when selecting a unit for their own personal use. Even some pros wear glasses! Heck, back in the days of CRT monitors, a refresh rate of 60Hz would drive me nuts, when other people could see no flicker at all. Picture quality is very subjective, and the is no right or wrong; merely what looks best to you. 

Tom said:

I received the answer to the original question I had when I started this thread - thanked everyone for their replies and tried to opt-out.

Then, from left field, nonsense starts pouring in and administration, says:  "Bill, nobody is forcing you to read the messages here" - brilliant, simply brilliant.....bill

Whiskyecho said:
....The public slapping of my hand by the admin'r,...

Bill,

Could you point me to that "public" message? I'm really at a loss, given that I've tried to answer your questions in this and other topics to the best of my ability. I've never claimed to be an expert in this or any other field and, in my first reply, made it clear that picture quality can be a subjective thing.
[edit]Fixed typo.[/edit]

Karl said:
.... a refresh rate of 60Hz would drive me nuts ....

Karl,

It's a good thing you weren't in the UK; Refresh rate (line frequency) there is 50Hz. The 25 fields/sec rate was also painfully close, yet different from, the old movie frame rate of 24fps. Quite annoying when a TV camera would be aimed at a movie screen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack1776
Back
Top Bottom