Jim Dick and toys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JJ,

I'll do my best to keep the shiny side up. Just got the bike home today. Now it's practice, practice, practice!

Tom,

Many states had a helmet law but there was such an uproar I think many have recinded it. I know it's not required in CT or FL. Too many think they are invincible. There are so many that don't wear them it's not even funny.

I see the same thing on bicycles. They don't wear helmets and the bikes aren't set up correctly. The ones that really get me are the parents that have a child on the back with a helmet but they aren't wearing one. I wonder who they think will rescue the child when they crash and are unconcious or worse??

CO is one of the states that used to have a helmet law but removed it in the 80s. Every year, when the bikers converge on Ignacio, Durango, and Cortez, several of them die of head injuries. Last year, a couple stopped and took off their helmets at the top of Wolf Creek Pass and continued on down the hill helmetless. Crashed on the way down and both died. Never could figure out why they wore helmets on the way up but not on the way down.

Wendy,

I know riders who wear their helmet in the morning but not in the afternoon. I believe one of the problems is heat. What they should do is get the newer vented helmets and keep it on all the time.

Another thing that probably comes into play is the "macho" thing. They think they look bigger and better if they don't wear a helmet.

I'd say helmet use is about 95% cultural. You get a few people who won't wear them because they get claustrophobic or because they get too hot (poor, but plausible excuses), but what I've observed is:

Harley riders don't wear helmets unless required to do so by law or when participating in a charity ride where the organizer requires helmets. I don't get the no helmet thing, but have to give them credit for turning out in droves for fundraiser rides.
Other American cruiser riders (Victory, Indian, etc.) mostly follow the Harley culture.
Japanese cruiser riders sometimes wear helmets - use seems to increase with age.
People riding big touring bikes (Gold Wings, etc.) almost all wear helmets.
People that ride standards wear helmets more often than not.
People that regularly ride to work wear helmets.
People that race bikes usually wear helmets, even when they aren't racing.

The worst of all offenders are the people you see wearing a muscle shirt, shorts, and flip flops on crotch rockets. These are usually young guys, often seen with their girlfriends on the pillion. Even the vehement anti-helmet folks at least have the sense to wear boots, gloves, and heavy leathers.

My favorite of all excuses, however, is the "helmet hair" defense. It's always fun to remind these riders that 1) 70 MPH wind doesn't do much for your hair either, and 2) nor do all the bugs you get in your hair with no lid, but most of all 3) your hair isn't going to look too good lying a hundred feet away from the rest of your dead body on the highway.

Having said all that, I still don't like helmet laws for adult riders. I wouldn't leave my driveway without a lid, but that's a decision I feel fully qualified to make all by myself, thanks.

Hi Joe,

I think your observations are 100% correct. I won't even ride my bicycle without a helmet. I've done test runs in the driveway after adjustments and always put on my helmet. The macho image is powerful and leads to many false judgements with disasterous results.

rovinsteve said:
Hi Jim,
Now you just have to get that motorized two wheeler to Montana so we can ride together again!  I'm in Arizona with the mountain bike at the moment.

--Steve

Hi Steve,

That's a possibility maybe. :) We're in CT where it has been cold and snowed three times already. At least it didn't stay. I've got the road bike. Took it to my favorite bike mechanic for a spring tune up/safety check.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom