Jst starting out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scott -

Here are the stickers for my truck. I will get the same for the trailer when I get home and try and get measurements as well. Should I still take the truck to the scales tonight (pending they are open)?

Attachments

• tire and load info - dodge1.jpg
    tire and load info - dodge1.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 12
  • truck gvwr - dodge.jpg
    truck gvwr - dodge.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 7
kortniz said:
Scott -

Here are the stickers for my truck. I will get the same for the trailer when I get home and try and get measurements as well. Should I still take the truck to the scales tonight (pending they are open)?

Yes good idea to get it weighed. As donn said, you have a little less than 1800 cargo capacity. That's the weight of passengers, dogs, gas cans, coolers, whatever else is in the truck, plus weight of the fifth wheel pin. I'm going to guess you'll be overweight, although that is a smaller fifth wheel. However the older ones were heavier so will have to see what your trailer gross weight is.

While the air bags may raise the rear of the truck (reduce "squat") and stabilize the truck to degree, they do not increase load carrying capacity, which is dependent upon many factors such as brakes, frame, etc

Weigh the truck loaded like your going camping.  Thst means fuel, people, stuff.  Add 150 pounds for a regular hitch or 250 pounds if short bed and you go for a slider hitch.  Subtract the loaded scaled weight from the GVWR.  That is your net cargo carrying capacity.  On the left (street) side of the trailer near the front should be a metal looking tag.  That tag will give you the trailers GVWR.  20% of that number will be close to your loaded trailers pin weight.  Does that number fit under or over your real cargo capacity?
Like I keep saying, lift kits generally sell you soft springs.  That means your actual as it came from the factory GVWR is out the window.  You in all honestly might now have a 1500 truck in load carrying capacity.

Here is what I have on my truck. Couldn't make it to the scales yet, Please see attached.

Attachments

• specs 1.jpg
    specs 1.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 17
Based on that, your going to dump about 1600 pounds plus hitch directly over the rear axle.
BTW fifth wheel hitches are always placed directly over the rear axle.  Placed where your sketch shows will make for one scary ride.

The resolution of your picture is so low I can't make out the measurement. The three needed measurements I mentioned earlier are the top of your bed rails of your truck (which I think is what you have in your drawing), the body of the raised portion of the fifth wheel, and the tallest point of the fifth wheel. The trailer needs to be level for the last two measurements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom