Looking at purchasing a 1995 Winnebago Vectra 34'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Waverly, when you said the same coach - did you mean the Winnebago or the Coachmen?  If it was the Winnebago - that would mean that it was 6 years newer and wanted almost the same price.  Which would probably means that it was a good thing I walked away from the Winnebago Vectra if it was the same.

8)

lientrac said:
Hey Waverly, when you said the same coach - did you mean the Winnebago or the Coachmen?  If it was the Winnebago - that would mean that it was 6 years newer and wanted almost the same price.  Which would probably means that it was a good thing I walked away from the Winnebago Vectra if it was the same.

8)
Sorry.... I wasn't very clear...... We walked away from the Coachman (mainly because of the lack of the slide). We bought the Winnebago as described in my signature line. It has a 13' slide.

I think that your offer on the 2004 Coachman may have been fair if it was in real good condition. I just think that you may have regretted not having the slide-out over time.

:eek:  1998 Winnebago Adventurer 34' with slide.  Looks clean.  50,000 miles.  Asking price $32,000.  Was thinking of starting offer at $29,000 pending inspection, final price $30,000.  Good technique or not? :-[

The Adventurer is an extremely popular model, chassis service should be no issue and the house has standard stuff.  15 years old - not a big deal if you understand that you will be replacing and repairing stuff as time goes by.  The key is a good inspection so you can get the seller to fix stuff or discount the price accordingly.  Don't forget,  tires have a safe service life of five to seven years, so factor that into the deal.

John Hilley said:
Is it the Adventurer 34 WQ-P? That appears to be the only 34' 1998 model. That one has a diesel pusher.
I would certainly hope that it's a diesel with a price tag of $30K..... :eek:. That's over twice what we just paid for our gas coach.

Yes..... expect a 15-year-old coach to nickle/dime you for a while. We bought ours 2 months ago and have put ~$4K in it since, tires, batteries, all filter & fluid changes, lights, hatch lifts, toilet, Fantastic fan repair, leveler springs etc. I knew of it all going in and have been doing everything myself. If the coach has miles on it, expect brakes, cooling system repairs (besides just a flush), shocks, suspension and steering linkage issues. Be sure to have the differential gears inspected when having the diff oil changed.

Haha  :-[

No, this is not a diesel engine!  The seller confirmed that is a on a Ford 454 engine.  Darn it, I was looking at it wrong as well.  Guess, its back to scouring for sale ads again.  :'(  I'm never getting an RV...

Hey that brings to mind another question while I was shopping.  Why are Chevy engines more favored?  Or it seems to be?  ???

More favoured by whom?? Anyway it may be because of the Allison transmissions, that is really the the GM strong point but.... Typically though, I found the GM/Workhorse chassis, if they had been extended by the coach manufacturers, usually had a lesser hitch capacity than the equivalent Ford chassis. (3000 lb compared to 5000 lb, at least in my shopping days.) FWIW...

lientrac said:
Hey that brings to mind another question while I was shopping.  Why are Chevy engines more favored?  Or it seems to be?  ???
It may be because the 460 Ford has an inherent flaw in the exhaust manifold/cyl head design that can be VERY expensive to repair.

If one is aware of the flaw, there is a way to avoid the problem by installing special exhaust headers (~$2K-$3K). If you find a rig that already has these headers, you may be in luck, although the sale price would probably reflect the upgrade.

It's actually a good thing that you asked the question because now you can be aware. When I bought our coach, I was not aware. As it turns out, our coach does not have the infamous "broken manifold bolts" YET..... because of the low miles. I have time to watch on craigslist etc for a good buy on a set of headers and may be able to reduce my risk. If my rig had 50K miles on it, I would be far more anxious about installing a complete Banks header system:
http://bankspower.com/products/show/127/63

Like they say, "Knowledge is power"....... in this case, that's really true.  ;)

Hey Waverly,

If you don't mind me asking, I noticed that you had mentioned you had purchased a Winnebago Vectra for half of what I was looking at.  So somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$15,000.  Did you have to replace the tires?  Batteries?  What was the shape?

This is one that I am seriously looking at:

http://www.voyagerrv.ca/rv-1997-Winnebago-Vectra-34RQ-ID2506.htm

Any thoughts?  It is expensive for the year - but NADA says this is below low retail.  I will have to drive 6 hours to look at it.  But they are sending me their pre-sale inspection report to look at before I head out.  I'll update once I get that report!

Thanks everyone for the advice - especially regarding the Banks system...I've always wondered what that was all about... ;D

lientrac said:
Hey Waverly,

If you don't mind me asking, I noticed that you had mentioned you had purchased a Winnebago Vectra for half of what I was looking at.  So somewhere in the neighborhood of ~$15,000.  Did you have to replace the tires?  Batteries?  What was the shape?

This is one that I am seriously looking at:

http://www.voyagerrv.ca/rv-1997-Winnebago-Vectra-34RQ-ID2506.htm

Any thoughts?  It is expensive for the year - but NADA says this is below low retail.  I will have to drive 6 hours to look at it.  But they are sending me their pre-sale inspection report to look at before I head out.  I'll update once I get that report!

Thanks everyone for the advice - especially regarding the Banks system...I've always wondered what that was all about... ;D
The Vectra appears to be an upgrade from my Adventurer...... The big thing that I see right off the bat is that the Vectra in these pics seems to be better cared for than my Adventurer. The finish on my coach is badly Sun damaged.

That Vectra is on the Chevy chassis (not like my Ford Chassis) so the exhaust manifold issue is a non-event. The Vectra has the larger 7KW Onan genset (as apposed to my 5KW). I did have to replace many things like tires, all 3 batteries, awnings, toilet, leveling springs, all cabinet lifts, bathroom vent, 6 interior light fixtures, all fluids. I have about $16.5K in it all together (Incl tax & lic). If I had to have had these issues taken care of at a repair shop, I would have $20K+ in it.

The Vectra you are looking at has only 40K miles and I would call that a non-issue. It some ways, that's better than the 19K miles on my coach because it shows that it was being used (which is a good thing) without being worn-out.

You may want to ask them to provide you with the "DOT Code" off of each tire. The seller of our coach advertised it as having "New tires". After inspecting the date codes on all 6 tires, I found the front and outer rear were manuf in the 50th week of 2009. That may have been "New" to the seller but it certainly was not "New" to me. The inner rear tires were date coded in 1997 and were the original tires (FAR from "New"). The moral of that story is..... be careful with the term "New" tires.

Whenever one purchases a used vehicle (of any sort) it should be expected that a certain amount of $ will have to be put into it to bring it up to the standards that the purchaser desires. The key is to not have to put too much $ in it and end up withe something that you are into more then high book value and it still has major mechanical risks (just by virtue of being old).

Replacing items like tires, batteries, fluids, belts, hoses and the lke are items that would have to be dealt with at some point even if buying a new rig. The key is knowing (going in) that you will have to deal with those issues in the 1st year. Go ahead and take care of them right away so that you have a trust-worthy rig that you have confidence in driving.

To answer your question......... That Vectra appears to be a good deal as long as you don't have to put another $3K-$5K in it when you get it home (as I did.... and knew going in).

** Excellent Advise** Wavery and reflects the typical things that dealers mention in ads that are easily blown off as "nothing". Enjoy your trip to the Okanagan Lientrac, even if you find the unit lacking on personal inspection.... (It appears that the carpets were removed and replaced, (a good thing in many cases) as they are notoriously cheap and always dirty. JMHO!)

Alfa38User said:
** Excellent Advise** Wavery and reflects the typical things that dealers mention in ads that are easily blown off as "nothing". Enjoy your trip to the Okanagan Lientrac, even if you find the unit lacking on personal inspection.... (It appears that the carpets were removed and replaced, (a good thing in many cases) as they are notoriously cheap and always dirty. JMHO!)
I forgot to mention the flooring. I love the floor in that Vectra. We are going to remove the carpet in our coach and install similar flooring. Not a huge deal but it is nice that it has already been done. Have them give you the model & serial # off of the fridge and do some research on it. That was a big plus on ours. The fridge was replaced in 2007.

;D  Wow - thanks guys!  It almost feels like I had my own team of advisors pre-checking out the vehicle!  Love it!  Yes, I am going to go down on the weekend and check it out.  I'll put a deposit on it, but this RV has been sitting on the lot since August of last year, so I have to move quickly before spring sales start up I think...but also gives me some bargaining power too!! Oh Yeah!!

Will be printing out this thread along with a checklist to bring with me.  Should I get an independent mechanical on the RV or go with theirs? 

This is all the mechanical said...I have attached it for your review!

Attachments

• 20130507102044649 (1).pdf
    186.3 KB · Views: 10
lientrac said:
;D  Wow - thanks guys!  It almost feels like I had my own team of advisors pre-checking out the vehicle!  Love it!  Yes, I am going to go down on the weekend and check it out.  I'll put a deposit on it, but this RV has been sitting on the lot since August of last year, so I have to move quickly before spring sales start up I think...but also gives me some bargaining power too!! Oh Yeah!!

Will be printing out this thread along with a checklist to bring with me.  Should I get an independent mechanical on the RV or go with theirs? 

This is all the mechanical said...I have attached it for your review!
I would hire an independent if I was not a mechanic myself. If he comes back with a negative report, it may well be the best $400 (or whatever) you ever spent.

I was an independent Marine Surveyor for several years. People sometimes got upset when they had to pay me $1200 for a survey that told them the boat was a piece of junk and they shouldn't buy it. I would always tell them that it was better to pay me $1200 then to find out that they had to put $50K in the boat to make it sea worthy AFTER they bought it...........

Paying someone to tell you that you shouldn't buy something is the best $ that you can spend....... not to mention the stress and heart ache that it can avoid..... if he comes back with a review that you can live with, you may be better prepared to know what your risks are and make a more informed offer..

BTW.... if a dealer refuses to allow an independent to come in and look it over... walk away..... the dealer may give you BS about their liability if the guy gets hurt or if he damages the coach but if you have a licensed, bonded contractor, that's BS.

Back
Top Bottom