NEED Electrical Guidance from JK Owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THEBigLarry

I have 2011 Jeep Rubicon.  I have CB Radio to install.  I want to attach it to 'switched power' so that
the radio is on while the ignition is hot, and off when it's not.

Rather than me explore and re-invent the CB radio, I wanted to poll JK owners as to the best connection
point they have in order to run the CB.  This unit is the WX75 all in the microphone unit that is quite popular
among RV Forum Off Roaders.

Any help?  A cold beverage of your choice to best suggestion if you happen to be in Moab for this years
gathering.

Edit by staff - changed message icon to Topic Solved

I don't know squat about the electrical system, so I cannot offer any advice. Unless you're heading through Las Vegas and have a couple of hours, then I would suggest that you contact Kelly Poots, he will be at the I15/Cheyenne Off Ramp at a truck stop doing his thing. He will install your CB for about $50.00 to $100.00. It takes him an hour to do an install, and I would say that a lot of the Jeeping community and the lion's share of truckers around the valley use him for their work. He works out of an older RV converted to an electronics shop. He installed my CB and got it up to about 20 amps of output with good tuning.

You can find him on Face Book or call him at 928-246-1457.

Knowing Kelly Poots, if you call him, he'd probably answer your question. He knows Jeeps.

I went to my fuse panel with a test light and looked for a fuse that had no power with key off then double checked with key on. It happened to be a radio fuse. I used a fuse tap and the rest is history. No cutting or any other mods required.

captsteve said:
I went to my fuse panel with a test light and looked for a fuse that had no power with key off then double checked with key on. It happened to be a radio fuse. I used a fuse tap and the rest is history. No cutting or any other mods required.

DITTO

I like to have My CB wired to a hot lead so it can be used if your motor isn't running, You just have to remember to turn it off.

I like the ability to have the CB on with the ignition turned off - when you're stopped on a trail to wait for an obstacle it useful to hear the chatter.

So find a fuse with, your test light, that has power in both run and acc'y key positions. Real easy to forget it's on, in bright daylight, with the squelch up. I haven't had a CB in decades, but I hook sound systems up that way. Easy to forget it's on if the volume gets turned down for conversation and never turned back up. That'll drain your battery.

Bill.

Don't know if they still wire them in, but on TJ's they installed two future wires to the right of the fuse block that are pre-wired to empty fuse slots in the fuse block. One of them is continuously hot, and the other is switched. They each have a tag on them labeling them. You might want to check in the vicinity of the fuse block to see if they still do that.

Just a follow up.  Thank you all who responded.

I found a YouTube video that was perfect.  Installed my radio in less than 15 minutes.
It's hot all the time, I just need to remind my naviguesser to turn it off when we close
down for the day.

See you all down the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom