New discount program at Flying J

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's interesting Ron.  I wonder if maybe you got your "purchases" inside the store already, and it's just applying your discounts??  Otherwise, I saw nothing that says "at participating stores only" or some other such nonsense.  Would be interesting to find out for sure though.

The St Augustine (FL) Flying J does not give the fuel discount. A message comes up on the screen about a discount on purchases inside. By the way, this Flying J has higher diesel prices than other fuel stops in the area....not worth the stop there. Get fuel in Georgia or another FL diesel stop instead.

The brochure we got in today's mail says "Monthly restaurant & merchandise purchases determine the fuel discount level for the calendar month of your next fuel purchase. Month-to-date purchases and fuel discount level are recorded on each receipt for your reference." And it shows for "Montly restaurant & merchandise purchases" of $10 a gasoline discount of 3-cents, propane discout of 3-cents, diesel discount of 1-cent.

Take the discount if you get it but if you don't, don't be surprised. Maybe we should all contact Flying J and complain about not having our discount?

Wendy

The higher discount for those who made in-store purchases has been around for some time and the basic 1 cent/gal still applied. It used to provide only a slight increase in discount and wasn't very interesting, but it has been in the FJ brochure for a couple years now.  The new program increases the amount of extra discount substantially, but makes no mention of the base  penny discount.  Can't tell yet whether the intention is to eliminate the base penny or not - guess we will have to wait and see.

Another wrinkle: there are a few franchise FJs as well as corporate ones and policies may differ.

RV Roamer said:
The penny was insignificant anyway - only a dollar on 100 gals. The real discount is getting the cash price on a credit card sale.

I agree Gary but we will continue to accept the penny discount as long as they offer it to us.  BTY the discount is shown on the reciept as RV DISCOUNT as it always has been.

With the price of diesel vs gas and the larger discount/gal for gas vs diesel, a gas engine class A is looking better and better all the time. In my area, diesel fuel is selling for 60 cents +/gal more than diesel.

Also, what's the incentive to go to FJ?  Previously, the fuel was cheaper than competitors. With their prices high and no discount, it's not worth the hassle of waiting for a pump in a big long line at FJ.

Our incentive to go to FJ is that in most areas, their prices are less than the competitors, we rarely have a problem getting in and out in a reasonable time, and we get the cash price with our credit card.  The last makes the FJ prices significantly less than the competitors.  The $.01/gal. discount is unimportant to us, amounting to $.50-$.75 a fill.

Ned said:
Our incentive to go to FJ is that in most areas, their prices are less than the competitors, we rarely have a problem getting in and out in a reasonable time, and we get the cash price with our credit card.  The last makes the FJ prices significantly less than the competitors.  The $.01/gal. discount is unimportant to us, amounting to $.50-$.75 a fill.

Well, in our area that is not the case. FJ's prices are equal to or greater than competitors even at the cash price and it's a hassle getting in and out. In my experience with FJ, it is rare to get to an RV pump without waiting forever while some guy is filling/dumping/etc. The traffic is so bad at FJs that my wife cringes every time I pull into one for fuel.

Mind you, I'm not against FJ. It's just that without a fuel savings, why go there?

We only use the RV islands if they're not busy and we can pull right in.  Otherwise, we use the truck pumps.

In our experience, what you're seeing at FL FJs is not what we see in the rest of the country.  Perhaps you have more FJ franchises in FL?  There are only 5 stores listed on the FJ web site.

BruceinFL said:
Well, in our area that is not the case. FJ's prices are equal to or greater than competitors even at the cash price and it's a hassle getting in and out. In my experience with FJ, it is rare to get to an RV pump without waiting forever while some guy is filling/dumping/etc. The traffic is so bad at FJs that my wife cringes every time I pull into one for fuel.

Mind you, I'm not against FJ. It's just that without a fuel savings, why go there?
  I agree, what I have seen even with a discount care I have had for years, it takes forever at the counters to get it processed if the pump dosen't register it...I am about to go from Largo Fl to Alaska for the summer and have found on my last summers trip around the states that if you watch the signs or go  off the Interstate to a nearby town pump you will get better prices.

We very seldom ever use the RV pumps for several reasons but at the truck pumps things seem to go a lot faster.  It appears to me the truckers are much more courteous as they will pull ahead before going inside where as I often see RVers fill up at the RV island and leave the rig sit there while they go in to pay or shop or whatever.

I wouldn't go to an FJ gas/RV island if they price was 20 cents/gallon lower. Way to much hassle. But the truck islands are great for those whose filler/tanks can handle the big hoses.

We filled up tonight at the FJ at Lazy Days (Seffner, FL) and paid a whopping $3.97/gal. less $0.06 cash discount with our RV card. Did not get the additional $0.01 RV discount we used to get.  Also got propane for $2.89/gal but no discount on that either.  I bought a $2.99 Dove bar while in the store and my receipt shows that I now have $3 towards my "next reward level" of $10 and my diesel discount will be $0.01 if I get there.

What do you do to get the "cash" price?  We usually buy gas at a "J" when we travel.  Do we automatically get it when we use the "J" card?

Thanks,
JoAnn

JoAnn:

Yes, if you run you Rewards card first, and then your credit card, the invoice should reflect the price on the pump, which is the "cash" price. If it doesn't run in to the desk, show your rewards Card and they will correct it.

Bruce:

We find that FJ is almost always LOWER than competitors unless we are in an area off the interstates where maybe a Safeway has a lower price using our Safeway card; but when we are traveling it isn't easy to find them. Finding FJ is ALWAYS easy and asssures me the best price around or one at least as good as I would have found wandering around searching for the best price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayVee
Back
Top Bottom